Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 273316 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2016, 01:54:30 am »
I disagree, mellen. In my opinion, it's perfectly justified to not want to interact with someone over an opinion of theirs if it's particularly harsh. There are some opinions that I can't just 'agree to disagree' with and continue being comfortably friendly despite. In some cases, people's opinions do reflect on them as people and particularly shitty ones alienate others from me on an interpersonal level, and that's fine. It's also not "denying their humanity" in any way. As an example:

Quote from: Person A
I personally believe church tax in Finland should continue to be a policy, as it funds the charity work that the national church performs.

Well, person A who is a hypothetical strawman, while I personally disagree with that political opinion, I can still respect you as a person.

Quote from: Person B
I personally believe all gay people are mentally ill and conversion therapy is A-OK.

...no, person B who despite being a strawman espouses attitudes I have seen real people espouse, I can't respect your opinion or you as a person since you're dehumanizing an already-marginalized subset of humanity (that includes myself and those I care about). And I'm no worse a person for not wanting you in my life or forcing myself to look past this.

"Can't be friends with someone with different political beliefs" is distinct from "can't be friends with someone with specific political beliefs".

You can be a generally tolerant person but refuse to be friends with someone who believes you should be killed over your ethnicity/orientation/gender identity/whatever, that's perfectly reasonable. The objection (mine, and I think Mellen's) is to people who refuse to interact with anyone who is not part of the same political movement.
The context of the original quote was about not wanting to be friends with a BNP memember, not invalidating any points you've made of course.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2016, 10:12:34 am »
Am I the only one who doesn't care what happens to run aways? Just hear me out. If your being abused or anything like that I support you, you should run away to a safer place. But most teens that run away I see are run aways because "their parents have too much rules" or "they treat me like a child" things like that. So they think the best option in to run away? Are they serious? Sorry but if you run away because your parents want the best for you then you deserve everything that happens to you.

This was in response to a clip from What Would You Do?  The scenario set up, a runaway teen girl being lured away by a predator...

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2016, 10:39:02 am »
"Am I the only one who doesn't care what happens to the puppy who dug under the fence and ran around and eventually got hit by a car? Sure, there are puppies who are abused or starved, and I say let 'em run away to a safer place. But a lot of these puppies run away because their owners are just trying to house break them or teach them to heel. I say, Fuck Those Puppies! Sorry, but if you run away because you don't like leashes and wee-wee pads, then you deserve everything that happens to you."
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Lady Evil

• Bishop
« Reply #318 on: March 31, 2016, 06:45:25 pm »
Am I the only one who doesn't care what happens to people who can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're"? Sure, there are uneducated people who just don't know any better, and I say let them attend a 3rd grade grammar lesson in order to learn. But a lot of these people are just morons who can't be asked to use an apostrophe correctly. Sorry, but if you abuse the English language because you're a lazy motherfucker then you deserve everything that happens to you.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2016, 07:30:53 pm »
Am I the only one who doesn't care what happens to people who can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're"? Sure, there are uneducated people who just don't know any better, and I say let them attend a 3rd grade grammar lesson in order to learn. But a lot of these people are just morons who can't be asked to use an apostrophe correctly. Sorry, but if you abuse the English language because you're a lazy motherfucker then you deserve everything that happens to you.

Your grasping at straws to attack someone with a perfectly fine grasp of English, in my opinion.

Ask yoreself: are you're standards too high?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2016, 08:23:26 pm »
Oh, edgelord, you broke a fledgling snark chain.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #321 on: March 31, 2016, 09:27:26 pm »
I could actually get behind this.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2016, 02:28:12 am »
Well aren't you just a perfect bitch.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2016, 08:47:20 am »
Well aren't you just a perfect bitch.

It's shitposting!  What part of "National Offend a College Student Day" don't you understand?  Foke!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2016, 10:29:03 am »
"Ultimate Warrior"
HURRRRR-RRRRR!
XD

pyro

« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2016, 12:06:37 pm »
"Ultimate Warrior"
HURRRRR-RRRRR!
XD

Why is Ultimate Warrior already in my ignore list? It can't be because it's just a name change from Ultimate Paragon, can it?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2016, 12:22:01 pm »
It is.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #327 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:20 pm »
He really brightened my day with that. It's beautifully Poe-ish: is he totes srs, or taking the piss? Anyway, it's a funny, colorful avatar.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2016, 05:39:20 pm »
But seriously, going into STEM is actually a good idea.  There's a 2:1 faculty preference for women:

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/17/5360.abstract

Furthermore, there is no gender pay gap in tech salaries:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/at-work/tech-careers/study-finds-no-gender-gap-in-tech-salaries

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2016, 07:00:30 pm »
Yet another reason STEM is better.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.