Author Topic: Witch burning--alive and well.  (Read 5142 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Witch burning--alive and well.
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/02/07/papua-new-guinea-witch-burning.html

Assailants stripped, bound and tortured a woman accused of witchcraft, then burned her alive in front of hundreds of witnesses in a Papua New Guinea town, police said Friday after one of the highest profile sorcery-related murders in this South Pacific island nation.

Kepari Leniata, a 20-year-old mother of one, had been accused of sorcery by relatives of a six-year-old boy who died in the hospital the day before, police spokesman Dominic Kakas said.

Prime Minister Pete O'Neill said he had instructed police to use all available manpower to bring the killers to justice.

"It is reprehensible that women, the old and the weak in our society should be targeted for alleged sorcery or wrongs that they actually have nothing to do with," O'Neill said.

I weep at the fact that I'm so desensitized to these sorts of things that I don't weep at them.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Witch burning--alive and well.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »
Oh look...some people who just volunteered to test out my new flame-proof suit

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »
Papua New Guinea, proudly marching into the middle ages.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:04 pm »
At least the authorities seem to be treating this seriously.

What I will bother with is wishing unholy harm upon these cretins, preferably by karmic irony.

Also tempted to soap-box about something somewhat related but I'll stuff the soapbox away for its own topic.  This isn't the topic for that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:29:19 pm »
Well aren't these idiots a bunch of lovely twats!
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »
Well, it is Papua New Guinea we're talking about. This is a place where cannibalism is still alive and well.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:46:22 pm »
Is it wrong that this is what I first thought of when I read the title??

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTdDN_MRe64" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTdDN_MRe64</a>

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 11:04:47 pm »
This also happens in some Sub-Saharan African countries as well.  In Kenya, at least 11 people were burned alive in a witchhunt in 2008.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 03:58:45 pm »
I think we need to have a witch-hunter-hunt.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:14 pm »
I've heard a story of a kid (I think he was 12) from a Wiccan family in Texas who was jumped by a group of people because he was wearing a pentacle necklace. If I remember right they stabbed him, and I think they might have burned him also, but it's been a while since I heard the story. A group of people, possibly adults, killed a 12 year old because of a necklace. I'm not sure as to the truth of this story, as it was told by a guy who called in to a podcast I listen to (The Thinking Atheist, a guy who lives in Tulsa). Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was true, and that fact is quite disturbing.

While I was on vacation in Texas last year I wore my pentacle necklace the whole time (albeit under my shirt), though I also carried my pocket knife at all times as well.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 11:24:53 pm »
I've heard a story of a kid (I think he was 12) from a Wiccan family in Texas who was jumped by a group of people because he was wearing a pentacle necklace. If I remember right they stabbed him, and I think they might have burned him also, but it's been a while since I heard the story. A group of people, possibly adults, killed a 12 year old because of a necklace. I'm not sure as to the truth of this story, as it was told by a guy who called in to a podcast I listen to (The Thinking Atheist, a guy who lives in Tulsa). Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was true, and that fact is quite disturbing.

While I was on vacation in Texas last year I wore my pentacle necklace the whole time (albeit under my shirt), though I also carried my pocket knife at all times as well.

Who wants to bet that the people that killed him thought of themselves as "Good Christians"...

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:00:46 am »

Who wants to bet that the people that killed him thought of themselves as "Good Christians"...

Well, of course they are.  After all they're just following their good book.  Exodus 22:18 clearly states..."Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

I ask.  Just how much more plain can it get?
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 02:27:46 pm »

Well, of course they are.  After all they're just following their good book.  Exodus 22:18 clearly states..."Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

Apparently in the original language it was more likely "poisoner" instead of "witch".
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 03:53:46 pm »

Apparently in the original language it was more likely "poisoner" instead of "witch".

But the original language is wrong.  If it doesn't match with the KJV, it isn't true.  And the KJV says witch, so there.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 04:38:18 pm »
Well, at least the government is against these kind of people. It'd be more worrisome if the government was like "We approve of witch burnings."
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying