Author Topic: The Six Day War  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
The Six Day War
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:25:33 am »
Got assigned to watch this documentary for my Middle Eastern History class:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvXLKt-_3U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvXLKt-_3U</a>

A few thoughts while watching the video:
1. I knew that the thing that won the war was Israeli air superiority, but this really laid out exactly how they did it, and how utterly devastating the results were.
2. Nasser, you remember when you told the Jordanians you had taken out 70% of the Israeli air force, when you'd gotten only 3 of their planes? The charitable term for that is a "dick move". More realistically, I think the Jordanians would have been justified in bombing Cairo in retaliation, since you pretty much sent their soldiers to their deaths.
3. If that war had taken place today, I think I probably would have spent the whole six days glued to the TV and Internet.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Distind

Re: The Six Day War
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:08:37 am »
2. Nasser, you remember when you told the Jordanians you had taken out 70% of the Israeli air force, when you'd gotten only 3 of their planes? The charitable term for that is a "dick move". More realistically, I think the Jordanians would have been justified in bombing Cairo in retaliation, since you pretty much sent their soldiers to their deaths.
Never trust the guy who says "Yeah, sure. Right behind you!".

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:46:04 pm »
I had a teacher who was in the Syrian military during the Six-Day War.  He used to talk about how he personally shot down ninety-nine Israeli planes.  "I was like yed-Allah, the hand of God!"

He also told us how monkeys and pigs were originally Jews being punished by God.  Interesting guy.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:12:08 pm »
Interestingly enough, I worked with a man who had lived through the six-day war:  A lovely fellow from Egypt, he was fine until a tornado jet flew over where we were working.  Within a blink of an eye he was under a desk, quaking with fear.

He also told me about the only ever Egyptian victory against Israel, where people in one city, pissed off at what Nasser did, blocked off all entrance to the city and wouldn't allow Israeli tanks in.  The defence was a few soldiers, the Police and some civilians.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:14:29 pm »
Never trust the guy who says "Yeah, sure. Right behind you!".
Especially if they bullied you into getting involved in the first place.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!