Author Topic: John Scalzi makes Vox Day become useful.  (Read 3421 times)

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
John Scalzi makes Vox Day become useful.
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
You can read about it on his blog.  The troll in question is Vox Day.

What Scalzi is doing is:  From now (backdated to the first of Jan) until the end of the year, each time that Vox Day (the "Racist Sexist Homophobic Dipshit") talks about Scalzi, Scalzi will put 5 bucks into a pot which will at the end of the year be spread around to these groups  which advocate causes that Vox hates:

*RAINN

*Emily’s List

*Human Rights Campaign

*NAACP

Scalzi goes on to make some changes:
Update: People are asking if they can contribute too. Sure. Here’s how we’ll do this: Note in the comment thread here  that you want to play along (or send me an e-mail if you’d prefer to be private) and then note the maximum amount you want to contribute for the year. Commit to donating 5% (i.e., even if the Racist Sexist Homophobic Dipshit never mentioned me again, you’ll donate 5% of your maximum donation to at least one of the organizations listed above). At the end of the year, when I tally up, you donate. Easy!

This is only ONE day old.  Guess how much he's racked up in pledges so far:

Update 6: As of noon Eastern on Sunday, February 3, we’re up to over $30,000 in pledges in the comment thread. This is more fun than the Super Bowl.

Holy shit.

Hat tip to PZ Myers.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: John Scalzi makes Vox Day become useful.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:37:47 pm »
Vox Day [sic] finally has a purpose in life.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »
Dear John Scalzi,

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:50:02 pm »
Give that man a medal!
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:23:14 am »
And now for someone who doesn't troll the blogosphere...

Ironbite-Vox Day?

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:31:13 am »
This guy.  Science Fiction author and wannabe pundit.  Pretty much an all-around dipshit.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:33:35 am »
This guy.  Science Fiction author and wannabe pundit.  Pretty much an all-around dipshit.
Just scan the Top 100 quotes, you'll run across him.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:40:26 am »
Oh, and look up some of the fun with his dear old dad.  Tax evasion, running from the law, and harassing the judge.  Vox is positively sane by comparison.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:31:22 pm »
It seems that PZ Myers has found a reason why Vox Day is going after Scalzi so much.  Scalzi is about to end his term as president of the president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

Vox is running for president himself and he's running Scalzi down in the process.  Myers links to a blog of a SFWA member who is having none of it.

The first person to announce his candidacy for SFWA president was Theodore Beale, aka Vox Day. Steven Gould has also tossed his hat into the ring. I knew Gould as the author of Jumper, among other things, and we’re on at least one mailing list together. Beale’s name was vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t remember where I had heard it. So I went looking…

What I found raised some concerns.

Boy howdy!  Yeah.  He lists what he's found and he's got every reason to be concerned!

Among the many things listed:
Beale also has a history of referring to current SFWA president John Scalzi as “McRapey.” In case that was too subtle, he also titled his first such post John Scalzi is a Rapist. (Beale also talks about how rapists are more likely to vote Democratic, because one third of all forcible rapists are black.)

I wonder if the SFWA will be concerned that their current president is an admitted rapist or if they’ll take the approach towards him that NOW and the other feminist groups did towards Bill Clinton.  Of course, unlike Scalzi, Clinton never admitted to being a rapist … Wait, he claims his confession is satire?  Well, that might fool anyone unfamiliar with the concept of blown cover as cover.

Yeah.  Remember Vox's own views on rape? 

Jim concludes:
The president of SFWA has to be able to work with others on the board and within the organization. I’ve seen nothing to suggest his ability to do this, particularly when others disagree with him. Nor do I trust him to treat members with respect, particularly if those members happen to have the “wrong” chromosomal pair.

As president, Beale would be the public face of the organization. He would have to work with a board made of up people who might not be white or male or straight, and who might not always agree with him. And my sense is that this is a disaster waiting to happen.