Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Florida...  (Read 3971 times)

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
Meanwhile, in Florida...
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:08:51 pm »
Why am I not surprised this happened in Florida?

A Hillsborough County teacher is on paid administrative leave and out of her 6th grade classroom at Burns Middle School after parents accused her of abusing their children.

Anna Garrett, a 27-year veteran teacher with the district, is also under investigation by the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, as they look into a spelling lesson she taught Wednesday that involved sandpaper.

"We had to trace letters like 'I' and 'J'," explained Josh Sommer, 11.

Josh says Ms. Garrett passed out previous exams with spelling corrections on them, and asked the students to trace the correct spelling on pieces of sandpaper.

They were instructed to trace each word five times. By the 125th word, Josh says his finger started to bleed.

"Then by the end of the time, my whole table was bleeding," he remembered.

When Josh and his classmates alerted Ms. Garrett, he says she told them to be quiet and keep working, so they did.

Just another day in Florida

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Meanwhile, in Florida...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:19:38 pm »
Who does this woman think she is?  Delores Umbridge?

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:46:38 pm »
Who does this woman think she is?  Delores Umbridge?

I am so glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:17:36 pm »
Yeah, she gives me big flashbacks to that scene in the movie where she makes Harry write with the bleeding pen thing.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Saturn500

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:15 pm »
Why would you- I mean- ugh, this is too evil for me to articulate my disgust properly.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »
Why on earth would you think that was even REMOTELY a good idea?  It also brings up the question of how someone like this became a teacher in the first place.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 11:17:45 pm »
Why on earth would you think that was even REMOTELY a good idea?  It also brings up the question of how someone like this became a teacher in the first place.

Some people become teachers because they love children.
Some people become teachers in spite of hating children.

And then there's people like this who become teachers BECAUSE they hate children.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:24 pm »
Apparently this sort of tactile method for learning spelling is used; this teacher just went overboard. (An acquaintance of mine, former teacher, married to a teacher, tried to defend it by saying that the kids should have simply refused once their fingers started bleeding.

Argh!)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:34:54 am »
Right because kids at that age have the moxy to rebel against their teacher.

Ironbite-fucking idiot

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 02:23:11 am »
I can understand the tracing of the correct shape and spelling of words and letters. Repetition of the correct way to do things is an excellent way to learn, the sandpaper thing is just psychotic though. It makes no sense.

The only thing I can think of is that she is trying to make them learn by punishing their mistakes through pain, but it is still a terrible way to do things. it is messed up. Even working on the principle of trying to have them remember just by the tactile feel of non smooth paper, the sandpaper still is excessive. Not to mention that if it was based on that she would have made sure that the tracing was done lightly so as not to harm anyone and stopped if there was any injury, like a good teacher should do.

That some people become teachers truly amazes me sometimes.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 05:06:05 am »
I am an advocate of forcefully rubbing her fingers on the roughest sandpaper grade imaginable until she admits her wrongdoing. That's all the punishment she needs.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 05:15:41 am »
I am an advocate of forcefully rubbing her fingers on the roughest sandpaper grade imaginable until she admits her wrongdoing. That's all the punishment she needs.

No I'm pretty sure she should be kept far away from any sort of position that holds authority over children.

Even if she "learns her lesson"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:12 am »
You know, I was thinking "Wait, how can your fingers bleed from rewriting words over and over?  That seems unusual.  Did the kid have a medical condition?"  Then I reread and saw exactly what she made her students do.  Goddamn, this woman needs to be fired.  Hell, she probably shouldn't be allowed to work with children ever again.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:33:21 am »
Why the fuck do people like this exist and consume valuable oxygen the rest of us could be using?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:09:38 am »
By the way paid leave