Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387609 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2550 on: October 02, 2018, 11:36:25 pm »
SCOTUS nothing.  Congress should have term and age limits.

A nice idea. But, as much as Congress is flawed, I like the idea of experienced and knowledgeable politicians more so than I like the idea of "new blood." Additionally, if people really cared about Congressional term limits, they could just vote in primaries, field a challenger, vote for the opposing candidate(s), or not vote at all.*

*None of which will happen because are a democracy: we are free to be as lazy and stupid as we want to be.

Whereas SCOTUS appointments are for life and shouldn't really be capable of impeachment except for the most egregious offences to avoid political interference. That necessary independence is a pretty good basis for only appointing those people who are beyond reproach and not actively partisan.

A nice idea, in theory.

Well the reason they get life appointments is to inure them from political interference. Although I recognise that non-partisan Supreme Court Judges is more hope than present reality. I just find it abhorrent that people can accurately predict the split of the high Supreme court on particular cases based solely off their politics, without any apparent connection to what the law is.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:40:37 pm by davedan »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2551 on: October 06, 2018, 09:06:47 pm »
And the Supreme Court's officially stacked. Fuck Donald Trump and the Republican fascists behind him.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2552 on: October 06, 2018, 09:17:44 pm »
It's very hard to feel hopeful and optimistic during this current state of things. Trump keeps getting his agenda through. Seeing his smug face on tv makes me so fucking angry. I can't even listen to what he has to say. Watching the polls everyday for the upcoming election churns my stomach in knots. It feels like a nightmare I can't wake up from. I just need some kind of good news.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2553 on: October 06, 2018, 11:07:22 pm »
It's very hard to feel hopeful and optimistic during this current state of things. Trump keeps getting his agenda through. Seeing his smug face on tv makes me so fucking angry. I can't even listen to what he has to say. Watching the polls everyday for the upcoming election churns my stomach in knots. It feels like a nightmare I can't wake up from. I just need some kind of good news.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/chicago-police-vandyke-murder-verdict-1.4852421

The police officer who shot Laquan McDonald was convicted of one count of second-degree murder and sixteen counts of aggravated battery, one per shot fired.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2554 on: October 08, 2018, 06:29:29 pm »
And the Supreme Court's officially stacked. Fuck Donald Trump and the Republican fascists behind him.

I've said it once, I'll say it again (and not to you, of course): elections have consequences and abortion rights were nice while they lasted.

Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2555 on: October 08, 2018, 09:50:58 pm »
Have shares in coat hanger companies risen yet?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2556 on: October 08, 2018, 10:33:27 pm »
But there were those people who were like "Oh Trump is just saying that he doesn't really mean it." I hope they're scared.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2557 on: October 08, 2018, 10:46:54 pm »
Whether Trump meant it or not is irrelevant. Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan sure as hell meant it.

(Incidentally, I ran some numbers. Four of the current US Supreme Court justices were confirmed by Senators representing less than half the population of the US according to the census used for apportioning the House in the Congress in which the justice in question was confirmed, considering each Senator to represent half of their state's population. The four in question are Justices Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh. If anyone wants numbers I can post them.)
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2558 on: October 08, 2018, 11:56:31 pm »

I've said it once, I'll say it again (and not to you, of course): elections have consequences and abortion rights were nice while they lasted.

Given how close the election ultimately was, the whole thing could have been changed by a few people who stayed at home because they were pissed about Bernie not getting the nomination. Or by Comey announcing the re-opening of the email investigation. Or russian sponsored wikileaks.

You know what would have stemmed the impact of these things. Compulsory voting.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2559 on: October 09, 2018, 12:39:29 am »
Or just being automatically registered as a voter on your 18th birthday. It would not only make voting easier but it would also make vote suppression more difficult.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2560 on: October 09, 2018, 01:00:51 am »
But the Republicans can't have that. They benefit too much from low voter turn out.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2561 on: October 09, 2018, 01:16:41 am »
Never mind that voter ID laws are arguably an unconstitutional poll tax.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2562 on: October 09, 2018, 12:22:43 pm »
So Niki Haley resigned from her position today stating "America is respected now." I didn't realize talking down to your allies treating them like shit, dropping out of deals the country has made, losing trust and palling around with Dictators equals respect.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2563 on: October 09, 2018, 01:14:10 pm »
I've heard about a few possible scenarios:

1. Haley is going to get a job within the administration in the new year, to show that the Republicans aren't anti-woman or anti-minority (she's the daughter of Indian immigrants). Quite possibly for 2020 they'll kick Pence to the curb and run a Trump-Haley ticket.

2. She's setting up for a run of her own, probably challenging Trump in the 2020 primaries. She probably can't win, though--the Republicans have too many winner-take-all contests.

3. She's setting up for an independent run, trying to bleed just enough of the Republican vote (particularly in the South) to keep Trump out. Kasich might do the same thing with the Rust Belt.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2564 on: October 09, 2018, 02:51:36 pm »
Have shares in coat hanger companies risen yet?

Gains to coat hanger stock peaked on November 9, 2016 and constituted the lions share of that days rally following the “Trump Slump”
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?