Author Topic: "Nice Guys" of OkCupid  (Read 87620 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: "Nice Guys" of OkCupid
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 05:04:18 am »

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 10:10:21 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rZu-tBi7DM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rZu-tBi7DM</a>
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »
To all those who want to earmark these people for the sex offender list, keep in mind that these images are edited together from the 'worst' questions/answers. The bad sides of these men is being emphasized, while any 'good' answers are being left out, if they have some (yeah, no) But we don't know either way.

Even if it isn't better in context, dragging things out of context is one oldest tricks in the books and I'd prefer if people would ask for the context instead of finalizing their judgement immediately.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2013, 02:33:15 pm »

Nice to know he's into interspecies erotica.  Keep him away from your bitches!
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »
To all those who want to earmark these people for the sex offender list, keep in mind that these images are edited together from the 'worst' questions/answers. The bad sides of these men is being emphasized, while any 'good' answers are being left out, if they have some (yeah, no) But we don't know either way.

Even if it isn't better in context, dragging things out of context is one oldest tricks in the books and I'd prefer if people would ask for the context instead of finalizing their judgement immediately.
While I agree with your general point, there aren't many contexts that justify "all girls are whores" or "I'm not racist but I really hate asians"
Σא

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2013, 03:55:45 pm »

While I agree with your general point, there aren't many contexts that justify "all girls are whores" or "I'm not racist but I really hate asians"

Also, I recently read a story on tumblr where the OP said that when he and his friend found a rack of fedoras at a store, his friend was tricked by some girl to wear one of the hats and to have his picture taken as a joke, then found out she posted said picture on OKCupid along with a fake, misogynistic profile.  Even if this story isn't 100% true, I honestly wouldn't put it past some people to actually do something like this.

And this isn't even mentioning profiles, real and fake, that are created as "social experiments."  I guess the point is that we can't be too sure which profiles are real and which are fake.  Hell, this very forum had a case of a troll stealing someone else's identity to post shit here (Pastor Dave, I think his name was?).

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2013, 06:43:40 pm »
I keep looking at these pics and wondering which one is Atheism Exposed. :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:50:33 pm by Scotsgit »
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:21 pm »

Also, I recently read a story on tumblr where the OP said that when he and his friend found a rack of fedoras at a store, his friend was tricked by some girl to wear one of the hats and to have his picture taken as a joke, then found out she posted said picture on OKCupid along with a fake, misogynistic profile.  Even if this story isn't 100% true, I honestly wouldn't put it past some people to actually do something like this.

And this isn't even mentioning profiles, real and fake, that are created as "social experiments."  I guess the point is that we can't be too sure which profiles are real and which are fake.  Hell, this very forum had a case of a troll stealing someone else's identity to post shit here (Pastor Dave, I think his name was?).

this both saddens and comforts me. at least i'm not alone in thinking these profiles are over the top.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 01:05:25 am »
At least some profiles I've seen are either intentionally fake or at least jokingly embellished. One of them ends with a disclaimer at the bottom saying that the vast majority of its content isn't serious.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 05:57:51 am »
I don't agree with some of these questions that seem to be viewed as wrong when a guy answers with "Yes."

"Are some human lives worth more than others?" Of course. The life of a serial killer is worth less than the life of a philanthropist. One has brought pure misery to many people and deserves severe punishment for it, while the other continues to brighten the lives of many people and deserves recognition for it. I know that's an extreme example, but there are plenty of valid comparisons.

"Is there such a thing as having had too many sex partners?" Yes, because if you have way, way too many partners, you're really putting yourself at risk for pregnancy and STDs. I'm assuming this question is being interpreted as "Yes, because that makes you a whore," but that's not how I see it.

Add to that the question about being slightly overweight being a deal-breaker and we're in agreement. I live a relatively healthy lifestyle and it's pretty important to me that any love interest value health/fitness as much as I do, especially since I'm into extreme sports and would like to be able to share those activities with whoever I'm going to spend my life with.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline aebars

• Apprentice
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 07:33:30 am »
As a contrast to the one who said he "wasn't racist" but just "really hated Asians"; a subset of these fellows that particularly irks me are the ones with yellow fever:

I am a very distinguished and wealthy white man. I work in the high paying finance field where I manage million dollar accounts, I'm in great shape and regularly compete in triathlons, and I believe in always attaining the best, whether the car I drive or the homes I own. Many women find themselves attracted to me, but I am only interested in the best: Asian women. Why is that? Could it be their fine skin and long silky hair? Could it be the fact that unlike white women, they remember what it's like to be a woman: to be docile and submissive and respectful to a man? Could it be their delicate, playful personalities? I believe it is all of the above... and more!
(http://creepywhiteguys.tumblr.com/image/42087831879)

At first, it isn't so bad (if not to say narcissistic), but then it just takes a full-on turn into *barf* territory.

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 07:38:38 am »
I wonder if there's females out there on dating sites that are this bad.  I hate to admit it, but i kinda hope there are.  Douchbag knows no gender and all that.  I mean, the "nice guys" get all of the attention, but they can't be the only arrogant slobs looking for dates, right?

Here, I found you a girlfriend:
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Rubystargoats

"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 09:45:50 am »
I wonder if there's females out there on dating sites that are this bad.  I hate to admit it, but i kinda hope there are.  Douchbag knows no gender and all that.  I mean, the "nice guys" get all of the attention, but they can't be the only arrogant slobs looking for dates, right?

Only after the wedding?  How soon after?  I mean, are you doing it in time to the Bridal March?  On the table at the reception?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 09:54:21 am »
Anybody who has an OKC profile can look these guys up. Just do an advanced Google search and look for exact phrasing in the quoted sections.

Yes, some are quite real and just as bad as they come off. And I've seen worse on there. Some of them are probably parodies or jokes, but certainly there are a good number of classic Nice Guys and total shitheads, especially in the world of online dating.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 12:48:23 pm »
I've found some bad chicks. First one was "Evolution has no place in schools" girl. Then there's the one with paranoid schizophrenia and PTSD who thinks the Earth is bigger than the sun. And the girl who would have sex with her cousin in a sex shop booth with other people watching.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.