Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 63317 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2016, 10:40:45 pm »
So far the only complaints I have heard of 5th edition DnD are "It's DnD" and "I can't exploit the rules like I could in 3.5"

It does actually seem like something I could try.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2016, 10:58:51 pm »
Well I like Pathfinder more (just from the small game that we played a long while ago.) plus I know all the books I need.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2016, 11:16:22 pm »
So far the only complaints I have heard of 5th edition DnD are "It's DnD" and "I can't exploit the rules like I could in 3.5"

Also, less material, so customization is harder, you don't get to be a fraction as powerful, and the growth in power over time sometimes feels... lackluster.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »

Also, less material, so customization is harder, you don't get to be a fraction as powerful, and the growth in power over time sometimes feels... lackluster.

So...you still end up feeling like a total rando even after you've passed what should've been the Whoopass Threshold?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2016, 11:31:19 pm »
I mean, you're stronger, certainly, level 10 you could whip level 5 you's ass, but it would still be an actual fight. You don't just mop the floor with them. And don't go trying to Helm's Deep that shit, ever, you'll die. You'll just eventually get overrun.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2016, 11:43:40 pm »
Is that really a problem?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2016, 01:21:28 am »
Well, I don't play to NOT feel like an absolute badass...

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2016, 02:27:59 am »
In some settings, less powerful player characters work. If you're playing something that's meant to be darker, realistic or harder, there's no problem. But with D&D? Eventually I'd LIKE to be able to fight a dragon.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2016, 09:10:41 am »
All alone against a dragon or with a group? Because there's a difference.

Anyway, isn't the lack of material mainly because 3.Pathfinder has been out for much longer and 5th Edition DnD simply hasn't had time to gain as much books and booklets?

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2016, 09:13:17 am »
That is 90% of it. They've also said that there just isn't going to be as much material, no splats, but like 1-2 things in each adventure path.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2016, 10:35:04 am »
Well 5e is getting a ton of different settings right now.  Forbidden Realms just came back, I know Raveloft is a thing, and they're even gonna be doing Middle Earth.  So you're getting options.  Pathfinder has just been out longer and keeps adding to its own lore.

Ironbite-though I can't wait for Starfinder coming out next year.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2016, 04:41:54 am »
I found pdf's of old AD&D modules back from the 80's and 90's.  After tweaking another fantasy game so I could play the games without a DM, I'm planning on running through some of them.  First, I found, 'Village of Hommlet,' which was the very first D&D game I played.  Next is, 'Castle Greyhawk,' which includes an annoying NPC that my DM wouldn't let us kill.  Well, my DM isn't around anymore so it's open season on the ****!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2016, 04:49:32 pm »
Askold's adventures in Shadowrun continue. Several sessions were canceled due to people generally being on holidays but now we finally finished the hit on the bloodmage.

We tracked him to a shadowrunner bar, because he was a fellow runner, or at least using such a cover story. We had planned to "hire" him for a job. We would have lured him to a secluded farm outside Seattle, claiming that we need him to interrogate someone and then we would shoot him in the head and bury his body there.

Unfortunately he was in the bar with three of his buddies and we had to hire the entire team. Technically the interrogation would be handled by "Bob" (a rather nice looking Mexican orc who had been trained to be a torturer by Aztechnology and who always had a friendly smile on his face. Particularly when he was torturing someone with sharp tools. We know this because my character was shown a video as a proof of his skills.) but by hiring the entire team we ensured that our target was also there.

Then everything went wrong. The other team arrived in a van and our Decker decided to hack the van almost as soon as it stopped. So they were alerted, the only one of them who had gotten out jumped back in and started to drive off, our Street samurai merely scratched the van's paintjob with his assault rifle and our sniper (who had been staked outside to give cover fire) got under fire from the other team's sniper (whom we had not known about. Luckily having a sniper provide over watch is quite normal precaution so our sniper making a huge noise setting up there AFTER the other sniper had gotten there did not tip them off. It just made them be slightly more cautious.) who missed. So did our sniper as he tried to stop the van.

Then I had a brief internal and external argument with myself as I wondered what the hell I could do as it was my character's turn to finally do something. (He had the lowest initiative.)

My shotgun wouldn't have even scratched the car. Same with the revolver. And the only spell that did physical damage was flamethrower. Eventually I settled down to once again casting a spell at full power.

"Bernie" forgot to shout "feel the Bern" as a stream of bright blue flames surged from his hands and a force 12 flamethrower (With PUSH THE LIMIT) pierced the side of the van and hit the battery. The battery was destroyed disabling the van, but that was the least of the problems for the people inside the car, Lithium-Ion batteries and fire are a horrible mix and the flames that erupted from the battery weren't even blue, they were blindingly bright and pure white. The car burst into a tiny purgatory killing all four shadowrunners inside and probably blowing up their ammo and explosives as well. The sniper gave up and asked if we let him live if he just walks away. We did, though our sniper stole his rifle (which the owner bricked remotely immediately.)

Oh, and Bernie took 7 points of physical damage from drain which floored him but luckily left him alive. Our other caster was able to scrub the astral traces from the spells before we drove off.

Mission accomplished. ...Not a 100% success because the job was supposed to be done quietly and without a trace. Shooting up at a farm and blowing up a car are not "quiet" but at least most of the evidence is gone. The fifth guy is a loose end but it's not like our team is perfect.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2016, 06:54:26 pm »
....and here I thought my Shadowrunner group were a bunch of blood thirsty monsters.

Ironbite-who butcher 35 Yakuza goons.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2016, 09:08:25 pm »
Hey, we were tasked with killing a BLOOD MAGE and we couldn't get him alone. If that had been possible we would have done that. And it's not like we we getting paid, the Johnson found out that we hurt his operations in our last job and not doing this job would have meant that he comes after us. Though he might do that anyway because Johnsons are like that.