Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 63206 times)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2016, 01:52:08 am »
Well, these three are Wolves, most certainly.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2016, 02:01:23 am »
Yeah, I recognize those bits. Looks like whoever had them before was trying to build a Wolves army, but based it on the Black Reach kit, hence the Terminators, Captain and Dreadnought that don't appear to have Wolf trappings.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2016, 02:02:18 am »
Probably.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2016, 11:44:16 am »
I picked up the new Tau starter box because I hadn't picked up any of the new Battlesuits or Fire Warriors. Games Workshop actually included the rules for the units (though not the drones) in the instructions. That is some of the most uncharacteristic kindness I've ever seen from Games Workshop.

Its not the full rules though.

The pricing on those starter sets are insane. Tau one your essentially paying a fiver for the Ethereal and getting the Fire Warriors free on top of the normal cost for the Battlesuits.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2016, 04:25:58 pm »
Its useful for me since i haven't picked up the 7th edition Tau vodex and its nice to see the point changes for Fire Warriors. And yeah, the way i saw ut was getting $10 Fire Warriors and a free Ethereal (for the record, I've never had an Ethereal before now). It's nice to see Games Workshop put some real value into a kit for once... well by their standards anyway.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2016, 04:31:12 pm »
Getting hard to find time for the campaigns I'm in. Lots of overlap on the few available days. The fact that one guy is in all the same campaigns as I am does not help .
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2016, 05:12:28 pm »
Haven't even seen any 40k played in about a year, now. Jusr curious, is waveserpent spam still incredibly op?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2016, 06:40:45 pm »
Haven't even seen any 40k played in about a year, now. Jusr curious, is waveserpent spam still incredibly op?

Its's not Wave Serpents anymore. Now it's Wraithhost because someone at Games Workshop decided that giving Wraithguard, Wraithlords and Wraithknights ranged D weapons (and making the Wraithknight a Gargantuan Creature) and the ability to make a fully playable army out of them was a good idea. Eldar are actually more broken now than they've ever been. I actually almost miss the days when Grey Knights Paladin spam and Necron Quantum Shielding was the worst the game got.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 06:56:34 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2016, 07:35:08 pm »
despite wearing an imperial aquila and being guard to the bone, i've always loved iiyanden and their wraithguard. so fluffily tragic. this oddly makes me happy that they finally get op. but then again, i used to have enough dakka to decimate an ork army on the first turn. by turn three they usually had over 60% casualties. so prissy sex-starved elves isn't a big problem.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2016, 07:59:43 pm »
I wouldn't hate Wraithhost being so popular if it weren't for it being as broken as it is. I've said it before and I will keep saying it, but super heavies and D weapons have no place outside of Escalation and Apocalypse. It's ridiculous that you can make an entire army armed with nothing but D weapons.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2016, 01:09:22 am »
So here's something that's completely pissed me off with 40k lately: The complete and total obsoleting of Wolf Scouts.

Wolf Scouts are one of my favorite Space Wolf units. Veteran Grey Hunters that find themselves ill-suited for the usual roles Grey Hunters play, instead being used for recon, sniping and other more subtle roles. Here's the rules for them:

Elites, 70 points.
5x Scouts with Bolt Pistol and Bolter. Up to 5 additional scouts for 14 points each and up to one Wolf Guard Pack Leader for 24 points.
Scouts: Infantry WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W1 I4 A1 Ld8 Save 4+
Pack Leader: Infantry (Character) WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W1 I4 A2 Ld9 Save 3+
Special Rules: Acute Senses, And They Shall Know No Fear, Counter-Attack, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Scout

Some of the options are a Missile Launcher for 15 points, sniper rifles for 1 point each, Camo Cloaks and almost all of the other usual Marine Scout options.

Up until now, Wolf Scouts were awesome. They cost the same as Grey Hunters, but the roles they play differ. They're not as great as they were in the 5th Edition codex as they lost their "Behind Enemy Lines" special rule that gave them a 2/3rd chance of the controlling player choosing the table edge they enter battle on, including the enemy's deployment edge. In 5th, it was legal to assault on the same turn a unit entered the game through outflank, so bringing Wolf Scouts meant that the opposing player had to deal with most likely having to deal with some Wolves trying to take down, or at least tie up, their ranged support.

Upon the release of 6th Edition, Games Workshop seems to have made it their mission to nerf Wolf Scouts into the ground. First, assaulting on the turn a unit entered from Reserves was no longer allowed. This meant that the above strategy was rendered completely useless. Then, out of fucking no where, rubbing some salt into the wound here, they ruled that a Wolf Scout Pack loses Behind Enemy Lines if they're accompanied by a Wolf Guard (who, in fairness, is wearing Power Armor or Terminator Armor), but by then, most people had already switched to using Wolf Scouts as snipers, so it was just an annoyance.

The 7th Edition Space Wolves codex is released and... it was not a great codex. If the climate of the game wasn't so poorly balanced right now, it would only be slightly underpowered. As is? Probably one of the worst books and filled with changes that took Wolves from possibly THE fluffiest codex to only slightly different than standard Marines besides their unique units.

Wolf Scout snipers were still a fantastic choice, despite the less than impressive codex. Getting a pack of snipers with a missile launcher for 89 points was actually pretty nice, purely because of their increased BS compared to standard Scouts. They've been a standard in my lists since 6th Edition kept me from taking advantage of Behind Enemy Lines.

But then the 7th Edition Space Marines and Dark Angels codexes were released. Here are the rules for 7th Edition Space Marine Scouts

Troops, 55 points.
4x Scouts with Bolters and Bolt Pistols, 1x Scout Sergeant with Bolter and Bolt Pistol. Up to five additional Scouts for 11 points each.
Scout: Infantry WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W1 I4 A1 Ld8 Save 4+
Scout Sergeant: Infantry (Character) WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W1 I4 A1 Ld8 Save 4+
Special Rules: And They Shall Know No Fear, Chapter Tactics, Combat Squads, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Scout
Options are extremely similar to Wolf Scouts.

So, let me get this straight, I am now paying 3 extra points per Marine for Acute Senses and Counter-Attack instead of Chapter Tactics and Combat Squads? And I still have to use up one of my Elites slots, while standard Marines and Dark Angels only have to use Troops slots?

This is fucking bullshit. You can cite fluff all you want to justify this, but it doesn't change that, despite being for the same edition of the game, Space Marines and Dark Angels get OBJECTIVELY better Scouts. I have to pay 3 extra points per model for inferior scouts. I am literally paying 3 extra points and an Elites slot to give up Chapter Tactics and Combat Squads in favor of Counter-Attack, which is only useful on melee-focused units and not even CLOSE to be as versatile as Chapter Tactics and Combat Squads. The ONLY advantage I have is being able to bring a Squad Leader wearing Power Armor for more points than it's worth.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:28:21 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2016, 03:54:53 pm »
Not the first time something like this happens. GW changes the rules one army at a time and the ones with the older rule books often suffer from it.

...And occasionally they just make one army way too strong or weak even if it is the latest book.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2016, 04:35:26 pm »
It doesn't stop it from being extremely frustrating. Wolf Scouts were always one of the most thematic units in the Space Wolves list. Now? Even if they weren't rendered completely obsolete, now there's nothing separating them from standard Marine scouts. Wolf Scouts are supposed to be experienced veterans, but now Games Workshop is implying that not only are Codex compliant chapters have rookies that are just as skilled as Space Wolf veterans, but Space Wolf rookies, Blood Claws (Sky Claws and Swift Claws, as well by extension) are particularly unskilled.

So, yeah, I get that this is nothing new or even out of the ordinary, but it's still irritating.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2016, 05:27:05 am »
New players are joining in the Traveller privateer campaign I'm in. Since our group had just captured a slave ship and was freeing the slaves from cryo-storage ("freedom" in this case meant that they would either be stranded on a strange planet with no funds for getting off it and making their way back home OR they could receive citizenship and a modest amount of land on which to live. We are trying to repopulate the planet.) and one of the other players insisted that any new characters can be whatever the hell the player wants but they will start the game by waking up from cryo.

Anyway, as the new character's history was being invented (he was basically, space lion Beast/Frasier... No really, a huge alien that looks a bit like a lion and has a degree in psychiatry as well as computer science. Traveller character creation is amazing.) and we decided that he had been captured by pirates I reminded others that my character was a pirate 14 years ago and could have been on the crew that kidnapped him...

This immediately lead to me roleplaying the scene and reminded everyone that "The BEST time to make fun of an Aslan is when you are about to put them in cold storage. They're being shipped to a lifetime of slavery and since aren't likely to ever see them again there is no way this would later bite you in the ass!"

*FOURTEEN YEARS LATER*

''I REMEMBER YOU!" "...Oh ohhh."

On Saturday we shall see if I need to make a new character to replace a dead one... :P

IN OTHER GAMING NEWS:
I've been nervous about the Mutant campaign I'm running but the latest session went rather well despite low player attendance. Among other things the mutants had a fight with a horribly mutated and human sized bat that lived in an abandoned mansion. One of the players mentioned that "the ancient myths spoke of some kind of bat creature that lived in a mansion and terrorized the city. ...They said it always came back 'same BAT-time, same BAT-channel' ...Whatever the hell that means."

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2016, 05:32:29 am »
Well, I finally found another D&D game. Maybe. I'm trying to get into a pbp on Myth-Weavers. If I make it, great! If not, oh well, I enjoy character creation just on its own anyway. But we're starting at level 2 in 3.5e, and I'm used to starting at 5, minimum. So this'll be fun.

Planning on (eventually) making him the most bufftacular bard to ever improve a party. The 20-level plan is Bard 8/Virtuoso 1/War Weaver 1/Sublime Chord 1/ War Weaver +4 (finishing the class, levelling the Sublime Chord's casting progression)/Virtuoso +4 (Taking the class to 5, also progressing Chord casting)/Bard +1
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:36:14 am by Svata »