Author Topic: World of Warcraft thread  (Read 5686 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
World of Warcraft thread
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »
So since WoW has yet another expansion coming out I figured it would be fun to reminisce about the original version that seems so long ago. The vanilla version of WoW.  How many of you actually played the vanilla version?  What was your favorite thing about it? Most pain in the ass thing about it?  How long did you play WoW before quitting?  Reason for quitting?  Any other fun memories/stupid things you did you want to share?

For me it was my first graphical MMO (I was addicted to MUDs prior to playing WoW).  My very first toon was a human mage.  I played from Vanilla to WtoLK. My favorite thing about WoW was the world PVP and AV back before you could queue up from a battlemaster in the cities but actually had to go to the physical locations to get into the battles and before the battlerealms.   How many of you that played AV remember the BG lasting days and the summoning of the giant elemental guy and giant the treant.  Also the fun of going to XR (crossroads) and holding it down or when I made a horde toon, the XR chat was priceless at times.  I was also probably one of the few in the minority (maybe?) that loved the 40 man raids.  Sure it was a bit of a pain in the ass to get 40 people online and ready to go but to me it was the size of the dungeons themselves that just made the 40 of you seem so small and insignificant to the giant dungeon you were fighting in.  I think one of the absolute craziest fun times I had was the opening of AQ and all the mayhem that was.

Most pain in the ass I think was actually getting a decent 5 man instance run together in the lower levels than it was for the end game 40 mans.  I was also annoyed and against the horde getting pally's and the alliance getting shammys.  What finally made me quit was not just the lack of end game content from WtoLK but also the fact that with all the new instance queues and that sort of catering to the casual player is what did it for me (welfare epics anyone? lame). 

Now note I am not bitching that Blizzard decided to cater to them (I mean money talks right?)  or the fact that you know some people do have lives and can't play as much but maybe it is just my nostalgic rose colored glasses but I thought Vanilla WoW catered to both the hardcore gamers and the casual gamers pretty nicely and pretty balanced. 

I had a friend who decided to try WoW again last week since the new expansion looked hopeful to him and he said he couldn't believed how much it had changed for the worst.  He was telling me that once you hit level 10 you can just go to a main city of your choice, park your toon and level him from 10 to cap by joining the dungeon finder queues. To me that kind of misses the point of it being a MMO doesn't it? No exploring, no quests, no having to find your way to the instance entrances, no having to make friends and questing/grouping together.

TL:DR, I would love if Blizzard would setup some Vanilla only servers, I would join WoW back in a heartbeat if they started the servers at Patch 1.11 and maybe even improve upon it without having to go to instanced PVP and the likes.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: World of Warcraft thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:05:13 pm »
My only experience with the game is from the eternal trial, so I can't really say much about it other than the game is genuinely fun, more fun than other MMOs I've played (even other WoW clones), and the game just runs extremely well on my computer.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:52:36 pm »
Oooh Vanilla WoW... The memories.

I played until the release WotLK (which I bought and played for a week after which I stopped playing but continued paying the subscription for another year... sigh). I was a hardcore raider originally on Kargath (where we had several server firsts) and then on Thrall when Kargath became unstable. On Thrall we competed boss to boss with Ascent for server first kills in Naxxramass - the best dungeon of vanilla and burning crusade together.
The hardest fight in the first 4 years was in my opinion was Kael'Thas before the nerf - gosh the insanity of that fight... Illidan was a joke compared to it. Overall I think Burning Crusade's raiding was very imbalanced - the fights were too hard overall - progression was stymied and many generally good players and guilds just gave up at that time. I personally was the second tank in Vanilla and than the Main Tank of the guild during BC.
Other fantastic fights outside Naxxramass were K'Thun, Twin Emperors, Illidan, Illidari Council.
Naxxramass was a jewel in the crown. Every single boss fight there was exquisitely designed. No jokes no nothing there. The Four Horsemen were an exercise of perfect timing and control. Thadius required almost lag-less connections (which I agree is probably a bit too much to ask) from the whole raid. But my personal favorite is the Gothik fight - the most intense even if not the most difficult... Foolishly you have sought your own demise. Brazenly you have disregarded powers beyond your understanding. You have fought hard to invade the realm of the harvester. Now there is only one way out - to walk the lonely path of the damned. Oh Gothik we sooo loved you! :)

There are of course the bitter memories of guild splits and drama - I don't want to reminisce on them so I won't.
The unbreakable wall

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:45:50 am »
Got into WoW a month or two before WLK dropped.  Been playing since, really.  Hordie all the way with my guild on Feathermoon, and, for being a casual raiding guild, we're in the top 50 on the server.  Not bad for 2 nights a week.

/Tauren Warrior
//Doing roughly 19 K DPS in raiding, with barely any LFR raiding
///Moo
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:12:28 pm »
Started playing just after WoLK, still playing the same character I started with, elemental draenei shaman. I raid 3-4 nights a week, though I'm in the guild's team 2 so I've got 8/8 Dragon Soul on normal mode but no heroic mode kills yet.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 06:02:53 am »
Played a Orc Hunter who had some sort of bitchin raptor as a pet I caught around the orc capital during the time of Lich King.  I only actually got to be some around level 15-20 due to getting put into the hospital during the time I was playing it, afterwords, my job at the time basically wanted nothing to do with me so I couldn't hold a subscription at the time.

I plan on eventually returning to it, in fact it's in the running for what game I switch to after I finish with Rift (also in the running is, Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, and Everquest.) My character probably still exists but I rather start over at this point although I'll probably end up a Orc Hunter again.

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:42:42 pm »
Since some of you are currently playing WoW, from what you have seen in cata (mind you I haven't touched cata at all)  are you looking forward to what blizz might offer in World of Kung-fu Panda or what are your thoughts in general about it?
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »
Since some of you are currently playing WoW, from what you have seen in cata (mind you I haven't touched cata at all)  are you looking forward to what blizz might offer in World of Kung-fu Panda or what are your thoughts in general about it?

Bit early to tell what's gonna happen with Mists of Pandaria. Though they will have to pry purge from my shaman's cold dead fingers. The talent tree update looks like it could work, but there's no new news so anything could happen.