Author Topic: Coders, unite!  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Coders, unite!
« on: March 02, 2013, 02:18:10 am »
So I've been doing some work with some VBScript for my internship (yay).

As such, I wanted to start a thread in which scripters can discuss code.  I'm working on a script that opens a word document, accepts revisions (from the "Track Changes" feature) and then saves them as PDF files.  I'll talk about how the code works in brief a bit later.

Edit:  Changing the title to appeal to a broader sense of the thread's mission.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:14:46 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Otend

• Neonate
  • Elitist asshole
Re: Scripters, unite!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:13:57 pm »
I think this could work well as a thread, particularly if we expanded it to cover all forms of programming.

On that note, I have a program in stasis that would effectively be a multi-medium backlog manager that uses a RNG to select something to watch, read, hear, or play.  However, the first iteration was shit, and I'll be rewriting it.  It was originally written in Python, but it's tempting to try something else for the sake of it.

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:20:15 am »
I think this could work well as a thread, particularly if we expanded it to cover all forms of programming.

On that note, I have a program in stasis that would effectively be a multi-medium backlog manager that uses a RNG to select something to watch, read, hear, or play.  However, the first iteration was shit, and I'll be rewriting it.  It was originally written in Python, but it's tempting to try something else for the sake of it.

Yeah, this could expand to general programming.  So do you have the source code for the current version?  How are you dividing your methods?

Distind

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:14:47 am »
I may pop in here a bit on scripting, friend's writting up an RPG and is looking for programming support. RPG maker ahoy... I've heard horror stories about the scripts for this thing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 06:59:05 pm »
I ordered that book Distind suggested to me in a thread I made a while ago to pick up C++ so while I waited for that to arrive I tried some things with my current Python knowledge (still learning :P) Even accomplishing as something as simple as a Rock, Paper, Scissors game feels so good, man.

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 12:00:32 am »
I ordered that book Distind suggested to me in a thread I made a while ago to pick up C++ so while I waited for that to arrive I tried some things with my current Python knowledge (still learning :P) Even accomplishing as something as simple as a Rock, Paper, Scissors game feels so good, man.

Fuck yeah getting stuff to work rocks, man!  Good to hear.

Distind

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »
I'm working at something new myself, took two days to get the basics of the system together, including massively simplifying the damnedable database so I'd have a sane range of things to work with. Every basic thing I manage to do right feels like a victory, even after 10 years of doing this.

Also, Ruby, it's the evil love child of Visual Basic and Perl. Or perhaps no love was involved.

• The Beast
Re: Coders, unite!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:15:53 pm »
So I've heard a few people in IRC rag on Object-Oriented Programming, and I wanted to say that while it can't teach you good coding and documenting, it sure the fuck can make troubleshooting bugs a crapton easier. :P

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »
It's painful to imagine all your code as one giant clusterfuck, everything freely calling everything else, variables just floating around. Debugging would be far worse than hell.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 07:58:36 pm »
It's painful to imagine all your code as one giant clusterfuck, everything freely calling everything else, variables just floating around. Debugging would be far worse than hell.

Exactly.  Modules can be frustrating if they don't work, and when things need dependencies, that can suck sometimes.  However, it's still easier than one big monolith of code.

So who here does stuff in Perl?  I'm doing stuff, but it's not simple.  It's retarded server authentication stuff that refuses to work.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 01:05:59 pm »
We're doing assembly language in my class now. T_T
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Distind

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 08:09:36 pm »
We're doing assembly language in my class now. T_T
Good luck Sleepy, just think of it as doing coding one word per line.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 11:10:04 pm »
Apart from the coding I'm doing for my thesis, I'm working at the moment on a plotter for my dad's sensor data and a bookkeeping application for my MMO guild as private projects.

Hate/love assembly language.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 05:16:20 pm »
Well, that C++ book finally arrived after more than three weeks.
Code: [Select]
#include <iostream>
int main() {
std::cout << "Holy fuck, Amazon";
std::cout << "Could you have taken any longer?";
return 0;
}

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 05:24:06 pm »
I'll say more later because I have to go, but Perl is fucking awesome. <3