Author Topic: Heliocentrism, the most widely accepted lie ever told?  (Read 25150 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Heliocentrism, the most widely accepted lie ever told?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 12:07:36 am »
Man, if you're gonna troll, at least do something semi-balanced. This is so lame that it doesn't even deserve cats.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 01:38:28 am »
Yes, as I said before, he is a piss poor troll.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 01:43:24 am »
excuse me for just a second..

oh wait your serious.. 

Let me laugh harder.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 01:53:59 am »
Actually I think he is a really impressive troll.

An Anglican, Geocentrist, fundamentalist homophobe.

And he has youtube videos as well. Outstanding.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 01:57:14 am »
The Geocentric model is very old and very well established.  Older, in fact, than the heliocentric model. 

The heliocentric model simply fails to provide explanations for why:

(a) we have the exact same starfield visible in the night sky every night.  If the earth moved around the sun once per year, the stars in that starfield would change position on a nightly basis, this doesn't happen.

(b) the perfect correlation between the sizes of the moon and sun as seen from earth.  This is the only set of bodies in the KNOWN UNIVERSE where a perfect eclipse is visible.

(c) the Moon's tidal force upon the earth is far stronger than the sun's.  According the The Atheist Newton's gravitational equation and the mass/distance figures mandated by the heliocentric worldview, F = GmM / r^2, the Sun's gravitational pull upon the Earth is more than 100 times larger than the Moon's, yet the Moon exerts a far greater tidal force than the sun upon the earth.  Clearly either the equations underpinning heliocentrism OR the values they ascribe to the heavenly bodies are WRONG!

Fairly sure this is trolling. But I can never resist stomping on bad science.

A: We do not, in fact, have the exact same view of the sky every night. This is why telescopes must constantly be re-adjusted in order to view the same section of space. This is also why not every constellation is always visible--as the earth revolves around the sun, some stars move out of our field of view.

B: The relative sizes of the sun and moon are not perfect. While nearly there, it's not quite. There is also the effect known as Baily's Beads -- during an eclipse, light shines through certain portions of the moon due to craters and other topographical features of the moon. For the eclipse to ever be truly perfect, the moon would have to be perfectly spherical, which is it not. Lastly, the eclipse is only possible due to the current orbiting distance of the moon. In years long past, the moon was much closer to the earth and would have blocked the sun entirely. In the future, as the moon moves further away from the earth, it will be too small to create a perfect eclipse.

C: Tidal forces are a differential force. They are caused when the gravity of one body exerted on another is not equal across its entire diameter. While the moon's gravity is obviously weaker than the sun's (otherwise we would be orbiting the moon, not the moon orbiting us while we orbit the sun), the moon still does exert its influence on the earth. The sun's gravity being stronger does not just make the moon's gravity disappear.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 02:37:53 am »
Awww and I had such hopes of getting a debate out of AE.

Welp:

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 08:47:28 am »

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 09:40:14 am »
Link please!

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:38 am »
Link please!
It's in his sig.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 10:05:02 am »
Actually I think he is a really impressive troll.

An Anglican, Geocentrist, fundamentalist homophobe.

How long do you think it'll be before he's arrested for cottaging?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 10:07:59 am »

Distind

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 10:57:21 am »
I don't really feel like scrolling past all the cat macros, did anyone point out that he's glancing across right on his trip into orbit? As heliocentrism is a long discarded theory of the universe, and it's accepted that the universe has it's own central point, which is seperate from our galaxy, which is seperate from our sun, which largely puts earth as a tick in the back ass of no where in the universe?

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 11:06:20 am »
I don't really feel like scrolling past all the cat macros, did anyone point out that he's glancing across right on his trip into orbit? As heliocentrism is a long discarded theory of the universe, and it's accepted that the universe has it's own central point, which is seperate from our galaxy, which is seperate from our sun, which largely puts earth as a tick in the back ass of no where in the universe?

Well, in so many word.  But if you follow the link to his youtube channel, I think you will quickly see this fellow is seriously deficient in any kind of actual scientific knowledge.   It's really sad that someone can be this delusional in today's world. Therefore  pointing out any actual facts to him is nothing but a serious waste of time and energy.

Of course, we will continue to do so, just for the lulz.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 11:57:24 am »
This is terrible. I just... no.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Atheism Exposed

• Neonate
  • Eternally Saved
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 02:53:22 pm »
it's accepted that the universe has it's own central point, which is seperate from our galaxy, which is seperate from our sun, which largely puts earth as a tick in the back ass of no where in the universe?

Not so.  Observations show that every point in the universe appears to be moving away from us.  The natural inference of this is that the earth is at the centre of any supposed expansion.
Visit my Youtube channel for more videos and information :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9YnqI2le1uwXxWwQ6w