Author Topic: True domesticated Foxes as pets now available  (Read 8154 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: True domesticated Foxes as pets now available
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 02:50:19 am »
I once saw an Animal Planet blurb about a guy who somehow managed to tame an... I think it was a crocodile?  Not sure, I can never remember which one is the one with the visible teeth, and which one is the one with the "concealed" teeth.

It essentially tolerated and maybe even enjoyed his presence, didn't attack him, and even had a little place to live in his basement I think.

Of course, it's been literal years since I've seen that blurb, and I have no idea if that crocodile ever stayed friendly.

Actually, I'd like to see a reptile, any reptile, that's been domesticated.

Alligators have broad snouts with concealed teeth, and crocodiles have narrower snouts with visible teeth.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 04:05:45 am »
Alrighty.

Have I mentioned I like both? XD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:56 pm »
A few things of note.  Firstly, the Siberian Silver Fox is a domesticated color variant of Red Fox.
Domestication means that the animals have been significantly altered in appearance and behaviour from their wild counterparts.

In the case of the Domestic Cat, it has no wild counterparts.  Domestic cats are their own species, descended from hybrids of 2 or 3 species of closely-related wildcats.  Feral populations of domestic cats also show social behaviours that aren't present in those wildcats, and which actually give the domestic cats an advantage. 

However it is believed that the wildcats began the process of domesticating themselves to take advantage of the food and safety opportunities that humans presented, which is probably at least part of why they still retain a lot of wild instincts.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47:27 pm »
They DO say that it isn't the human that adopts the cat, but rather the cat that adopts the human...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »
According to the description, this is the first domestic fox to be imported to America.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXN-4NX9VE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXN-4NX9VE</a>