Author Topic: Westboro Baptist Church uses Photoshop...  (Read 8846 times)

Miles11

Westboro Baptist Church uses Photoshop...
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:40 am »
...To fake a protest of Whitney Houston's funeral.

The Westboro Baptist Church, infamous for protesting military funerals, claimed they picketed Whitney Houston's funeral over the weekend. In reality the hate group manipulated a photo to appear they were outside New Hope Baptist Church, where Houston's funeral was held.

"Time for Westboro picket of Whitney Houston's funeral. So many piling up to blather about her today. Not ONE of them warned her of hell," tweeted Margie J. Phelps, daughter of the 81-year-old Fred Phelps, who founded the hate group.

During the ceremony, she posted a picture on Twitter apparently of the small group at the funeral.

The Newark Star-Ledger debunked the church's claim indicating there was no sign of protests in the area. Instead members of Westboro Baptist Church reportedly used Photoshop to make it seem as though they were there.

Source: http://chicago.gopride.com/news/article.cfm/articleid/26571316

The photo in question: http://chicago.gopride.com/c/I/18580-55745.jpg (linked for size)

It's not even a good photoshop, really.

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
Re: Westboro Baptist Church uses Photoshop...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:27 am »
Wait, they know that Photoshop exists?
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:21 am »
Then there's this:

When Margie Phelps, prominent member of the stridently anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church, tweeted a manipulated photo alleging to show church protesters picketing the funeral service of Whitney Houston, many in the media rushed to the conclusion that WBC was trying to pull a fast one by pretending to be somewhere they were not.

But in their rush to call out Westboro for being predictably awful, the finger-pointers inadvertently gave the Phelps clan as much, if not more publicity than they would have received by physically showing up.

After hundreds of outlets republished the church’s hateful shop, Phelps posted a tweet thanking the media for doing her legwork.

“Multiple media outlets publish”Whitney in Hell,”while whining Westboro didn’t picket :),” Phelps tweeted. She followed that up with another tweet noting that Raw Story had tweeted the fake Whitney protest photo to its 19,500 followers, subtly referencing the subterfuge with the hashtag “#SoManyWays2Picket.”

Before the media began voluntarily advertising the WBC’s message, Margie Phelps’ tweet of the photoshopped photo received all of 8 retweets. Now it’s been seen by millions. Instead of embarrassing the church, the media emboldened them. Now they know they can get front page coverage without ever leaving the compound.

http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/17967567134/westboro-baptist-troll-of-the-day-when-margie

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:27 am »
They call that trolling? really? They, as compared to the rest of the internet, are using different definitions.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:02:29 am »
*Lets out a long winded growl of frustration*

It's not often I say such things, but if someone dropped a powerful bomb on the WBC and wiped them all out, I would throw a party to celebrate the end of their hateful bullshit.

And wasn't Whitney Houston pretty damn religious? WTF are they bothering her for? Just because she was a celebrity in life?

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:19:45 am »
So gays are bad, but lying about where you are and what you're doing, and faking evidence about it, is OK?

I may be a little rusty, but IIRC the commandment about false witness ranks above the one about homosexuality.
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:06:25 pm »
*Lets out a long winded growl of frustration*

It's not often I say such things, but if someone dropped a powerful bomb on the WBC and wiped them all out, I would throw a party to celebrate the end of their hateful bullshit.

And wasn't Whitney Houston pretty damn religious? WTF are they bothering her for? Just because she was a celebrity in life?

They protested the funeral for those murdered Amish girls. They'll protest ANYBODY because they're dorks! At least THIS time, they FAKED a protest. Metthinks their days are numbered.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:37 pm »
They're not dorks.  They're hateful, spiteful, creatures who claim to be human.  They're so wrapped up in hate, so wrapped up in anger, that they can't see they're going to burn soon.

Ironbite-they will piss off the wrong person and that person will take it out on them....can't file a lawsuit when you're dead afterall.

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:09 pm »
Violence against them would sort of prove their point. Dislike them all you like, but lets not wish violence on them with quite such barely contained glee.
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:05:28 pm »
Violence against them would sort of prove their point. Dislike them all you like, but lets not wish violence on them with quite such barely contained glee.

Eh. They're basically the one group of people on earth where it's justified. Besides, what is their point? That when you mock families grieving over their lost loved ones, any decent human being would wish your horrible, painful death? Their only message is "everyone but us goes to hell". That is literally what they believe--not just gay people go to hell, but anyone who isn't actively part of their church and the protests does.

Their only message is hate. Their only point is that they're dicks and a waste of decent air. The day someone stabs every single one of them over 18 in the eye, I will track that person down in prison and give them a medal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »

I don't think Ironbite was wishing violence on them.  More stating that, the way they're going, its an inevitability.  Eventually, they'll picket the wrong people, and those people will get angry and destroy them.  Those people will be sent to jail, and rightfully so.  Will I mourn the loss of the Phelps clan?  No.  No, I won't.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:47:08 pm »
So the WBC is basically lying about being someplace.  I think that book they hold so dear has something to say about that.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »

I don't think Ironbite was wishing violence on them.  More stating that, the way they're going, its an inevitability.  Eventually, they'll picket the wrong people, and those people will get angry and destroy them.  Those people will be sent to jail, and rightfully so.  Will I mourn the loss of the Phelps clan?  No.  No, I won't.

Yes, they're TRYING to get attacked. One of these days, they're going to get more than they bargained for. That's the message here.

And you know what? Literally the only thing keeping me from outright hoping it happens is that I don't want the "assailant" to be screwed over. Fuck that hippy crap, if their hateful organization, along with the more malicious* heads of the clan, were destroyed by the very thing they sought to exploit from their victims, it would be the very DEFINITION of karma. You can't look at that situation & say they didn't bring it on themselves.

*=Let's not forget, Phelps is a child abuser & a cult leader. AND now he's just getting lazy.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 10:04:55 pm »
I'm looking forward to the day someone finally lays waste to them, and the vast majority of the pundit reactions will be "well, they were goading people into doing so, is it any wonder somebody finally had enough of their hate and obliged, matching fury for fury?"
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 10:48:56 pm »
Then there's this:
http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/17967567134/westboro-baptist-troll-of-the-day-when-margie

So they're literally just going "jokes on them, we were only pretending to be retarded!"? Yeah, I really have no idea whatsoever who they think is going to give a shit.