Author Topic: So Obama's not a Christian?  (Read 8291 times)

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
Re: So Obama's not a Christian?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »
Actually, you're right, Yla. Most people outside church circles don't know this, but there is a very specific interpretation of Jesus' words that is common among the faithful. To them, Jesus is making a double-meaning statement. When he says "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's," supposedly he is saying exactly what he means while phrasing it in a manner for which the Roman Centurions listening will not arrest him.

To a True Believer, what is "Caesar's?" (ie the government's?) Nothing. And what is "God's?" Everything. they interpret it to be extremely subversive on the subject of taxes. It's this interpretation that led to the whole "churches-aren't-taxed" thing in the first place.

(Edit to remove that embarrassing dangling participle....)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:52:18 pm by sandman »
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 09:43:54 pm »
The young Turks said it all so well.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVWvtbJ1Oig" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVWvtbJ1Oig</a>

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:26 pm »
Of course, the real mystery is not whether or not Obama is a Christian, but rather why it would make any fucking difference.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »
Because of that tiny footnote in the Constitution that says the founders were just joshing people when they wrote that there is no religious test for holding office. It's totally there in invisible ink. I heard it on Coast to Coast AM, so it must be true.

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 06:44:28 am »
Actually, you're right, Yla. Most people outside church circles don't know this, but there is a very specific interpretation of Jesus' words that is common among the faithful. To them, Jesus is making a double-meaning statement. When he says "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's," supposedly he is saying exactly what he means while phrasing it in a manner for which the Roman Centurions listening will not arrest him.

To a True Believer, what is "Caesar's?" (ie the government's?) Nothing. And what is "God's?" Everything. they interpret it to be extremely subversive on the subject of taxes. It's this interpretation that led to the whole "churches-aren't-taxed" thing in the first place.

(Edit to remove that embarrassing dangling participle....)
I'd never heard that interpretation until I encountered fundies, and I've been attending church all my life.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:55:58 am by Podkayne »
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 08:24:00 pm »

It can't be all that common, because I've spent over 2 decades in fundie circles, both Catholic and Protestant, and I have never heard that explanation before in my life.  Everyone whom I've ever heard discuss that passage always says that it means to do your duties as a citizen (including the paying of taxes), while also obeying God.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 04:29:34 am »
That's because most religious groups wish to work within the framework of an existing government, even if they want to influence the laws to suit their own needs.  You see it mostly in the libertarian Christians, the ones who feel they shouldn't have to pay taxes.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا