Author Topic: Godspouses  (Read 14668 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Godspouses
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »
So I'm looking into Norse Paganism (which, funnily enough, is actually my heritage O_o) and searching some blogs of other people who practice this.

And now I've run into this strange phenomenon.  People who believe they are actually married to these dieties.  Like being married to Odin, or Thor, or on the Greek side of things, being married to Apollo or Hermes (or both).

I have to say, whatever your thoughts on religion... this is kooky as hell.  How can you be married to someone who isn't even present for the marriage ceremony?  I mean, granted, Catholic Nuns are supposed to be married to God, but I don't think they think of it the same way as these people think of it.

Don't even get me started on the fact that they somehow allow these gods to dictate to them what they should wear or how they should keep their hair.  Ladies (and men, though I haven't found any yet), that's not how religion or spirituality works.  If you're actually hearing voices, that's not Thor or Odin, that's your brain going kookoo.

Normally, I'd provide links for this, but for the sake of not accidentally importing drama through rubbernecking, I'll abstain :V This is more a topic about the concept itself, rather than any individual person.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Godspouses
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:45:32 pm »
Well, nuns say they're "married to Christ." I don't see what's so different about this.

Then again, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but there are some people who think they're married to Final Fantasy characters. So there's also that.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:47:56 pm »
As long as it isn't anything like Sonic Passion (people who want to marry Sonic Characters. Google it at your own risk). I mean, it's not a big deal compared to some of the stranger religions out there.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:28:07 am »
One word: Snapewives.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 01:21:47 am »
So what you're saying is that this isn't limited to religion.

Scary.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:54:17 am »
Not in the least, Zachski. It can happen with almost anything.

ON EDIT: Do not forget that there's a reason Rule 34 exists.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:59:47 am by Stormwarden »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 02:15:06 am »
Not only Rule 34, self-insert fanfic characters in general.  People want what people want.  It's not limited to just sex or something.

For some people, fictional characters are the ideal mates.  For whatever reason they want a Harry Potter to sweep them off their feet or something.

Ironbite-it's weird.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:21:23 am »
Then again, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but there are some people who think they're married to Final Fantasy characters. So there's also that.

I'm not loony enough to think such a thing could ever become real, but I, for one, wouldn't mind being married to FF13's Fang. :D

Those curves, that face, that voice....HNNNNNG! *nosebleed rocket* Yes, please.

Uhh, where were we?  Ah, yes.  Paganism.

Well, as long as they're not trying to run roughshod over other people's lives in the name of their gods, as all too many practitioners of the more popular religions do... *shrugs* ...eh, knock yourselves out.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 02:54:57 am »
I've always been partial to Aerith. Though now I'm wondering what Fang sounds like.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 03:40:04 am »
I've always been partial to Aerith. Though now I'm wondering what Fang sounds like.

Youtube is your friend. :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAWxUWKSLN0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAWxUWKSLN0</a>

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 04:24:24 am »
People believing they are married to fictional characters...

So, cartoon crushes, essentially?

I know this is like the main drive behind most fan-fiction, but why are women more likely to so this then men (or at least are more vocal about it?)
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 04:49:42 am »

:P

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 06:35:17 am »
I think there's a difference between "I'd love to have sex with that/I'd love to marry that" with "I am married to that"

Either way, Odin's a bad-ass, and if he had a physical manifestation and were inclined that way (not entirely familiar with his legacy yet) I might do naughty things with him, but... I'm not going to say I'm married to him because I'm not.  And even if I wanted to, I couldn't, because he doesn't have a physical manifestation (or at least not one that anybody on this planet is aware of) and thus can't consent to the marriage, or even be present for the freaking vows.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 01:09:00 pm »
Just sign me up for Bahamut himself.  Now that's a deity I'd 'worship'  ;D
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 01:44:54 pm »
I think there's a difference between "I'd love to have sex with that/I'd love to marry that" with "I am married to that"

Either way, Odin's a bad-ass, and if he had a physical manifestation and were inclined that way (not entirely familiar with his legacy yet) I might do naughty things with him, but... I'm not going to say I'm married to him because I'm not.  And even if I wanted to, I couldn't, because he doesn't have a physical manifestation (or at least not one that anybody on this planet is aware of) and thus can't consent to the marriage, or even be present for the freaking vows.

That's what the last picture said. That the person is dating them.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!