Author Topic: Pope Francis tells off Chilean victims of clerical sex abuse  (Read 3186 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Pope Francis tells off Chilean victims of clerical sex abuse
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:12:30 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-francis-chile-sex-abuse-victims-slander-1.4494449

Pope Francis accused victims of Chile's most notorious pedophile of slander Thursday, an astonishing end to a visit meant to help heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal that has cost the Catholic Church its credibility in the country.

Francis said that until he sees proof that Bishop Juan Barros was complicit in covering up the sex crimes of the Rev. Fernando Karadima, such accusations against Barros are "all calumny."

Bergoglio is a squirrel to other popes' rats: the same as always, but with better PR.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Pope Francis tells off Chilean victims of clerical sex abuse
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:08:47 pm »
Le sigh.

Ironbite-why is it so hard to admit faults?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:46:07 pm »
From a pretty hardcore Catholic (who's pissed at the Church hierarchy but is a devout believer):

I'm hopping mad at Pope Francis today. His brand of lawless clericalism just blended with his even more unique brand of off-the-cuff insults directed at anyone who disagrees with him, and it's a calamity for the Church in Chile and beyond. He should resign. 

But there's so many high-ranking Catholic clergy that's true of it's difficult to wrap one's mind around it.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:29:24 pm »
The Vatican is basically the world's oldest organized crime family.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:47:51 pm »
It's hard to make people believe that you're the One True Mouthpiece of God if you admit you're no different from any other billion dollar multinational organisation. The church can't be wrong, it's everyone else who's wrong.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:29:04 am »
Shows how serious all his talk of taking abuse seriously is.

Business as usual for the world's oldest pederast advocacy organisation!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 11:29:50 am »
It's hard to make people believe that you're the One True Mouthpiece of God if you admit you're no different from any other billion dollar multinational organisation. The church can't be wrong, it's everyone else who's wrong.

Has it ever crossed these Church guy's minds that if they crack down on the noncey clergy that they'll look even more holy and legit?

I used to be a Catholic and I know that for years, they have had a worldwide priest shortage. I think that's the reason why they refuse to do the right thing....so they apply the whole "Reprimand, forgive and hope for the best" response.

It doesn't work.

What's frustrating is that they refuse to do the things that could solve the priest shortage....
Allow women Priests....or at least Deaconesses.
Make celibacy optional rather than mandatory.
....Even when given SCRIPTURAL reasons why these are valid ideas, they refuse to change!

They're so stuck in the "Only celibate men can be clergy schtick that" they can't think of any other way!

So they're stuck with looking like a religious version of NAMBLA because they refuse to adapt with changing circumstances.

Perhaps Catholics should join "Liberal Catholic" splinter denominations or The Episcopalians or something....or at least withhold donating any money to the RC Church until The Vatican grows a BRAIN!

A branch that refuses to bend, breaks!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 01:00:14 pm »
I have seen it suggested that women be ordained as deacons (this same person said that they cannot be priests) because deacons can be cardinals and hence doing so would give women a direct voice in Church governance.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 01:57:20 pm »
I have seen it suggested that women be ordained as deacons (this same person said that they cannot be priests) because deacons can be cardinals and hence doing so would give women a direct voice in Church governance.

These guys need to understand that....
* One of the first Judges of Israel (Deity's mouthpiece, basically) in the Hebrew Testament was Deborah, a woman.
* The Epistles mention female deacons.
* The majority of the sexist and antisemitic verses in the Pauline Epistles were in Epistles that have since been found to be likely not written by Paul....The ones that were written by Paul are 1 Thessalonians, Galatians, 1 Corinthians, Philippians, Philemon, 2 Corinthians and Romans.

....The others are spurious at best and forgeries at worst and the the few sexist verses in the stuff that was actually written by Paul were either taken out of context, mistranslated, only applied to the church in question or was added later by scribes butthurt over the idea of gender equality.

If The Vatican refuses to adapt then parishioners need to withhold all donations or find a similar but different denomination.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:05:42 am by Barbarella »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »
The explanation I've heard is that the priest is standing in for Christ ("in persona Christi") at the altar during Mass, and since Christ was male, the priest must also therefore be male.

Granted the person I heard this from converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism because the Anglican Church began ordaining female priests, so take that for what it's worth.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 08:30:25 pm »
The explanation I've heard is that the priest is standing in for Christ ("in persona Christi") at the altar during Mass, and since Christ was male, the priest must also therefore be male.

Granted the person I heard this from converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism because the Anglican Church began ordaining female priests, so take that for what it's worth.

One wonders why they don't extend that to other traits of Jesus. Only Jews can be priests? Only carpenters can be priests? Only people 33 or younger can be priests?
Σא

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 09:01:18 pm »

One wonders why they don't extend that to other traits of Jesus. Only Jews can be priests? Only carpenters can be priests? Only people 33 or younger can be priests?

Only people who are the Son of God can be priests.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 09:30:55 pm »

Only people who are the Son of God can be priests.

Only people executed via crucifixion, then resurrected three days later only to fly off into the sky because Jesus Magic can be priests.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 09:35:16 pm »

Oh, I agree it's a complete post hoc rationalization.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 02:14:29 am »
Stupid, isn't it?

Well; At least there's a lot more out there to support marriage in the Priesthood.

Really; If a Priest shortage is such a big fat honkin' issue then they should do all they can to make it more appealing.

Get rid of the Priest shortage and one can be better motivated to genuinely tackle the unusually sizeable amount of bad apples who are grabbing kiddos.

Maybe they can use technology and do a live-feed Video-Church either on a local station or The Web and the Pope can make the Eucharist-Consecration valid when an average Catholic at home raises up their own host & wine. No need for a huge amount of priests. Confession can be done on the phone.

I dunno.

Weird guys in Rome and their bizarre heel-digging....It's ridiculous!