Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 397364 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #1995 on: January 27, 2018, 02:49:30 pm »
And now, after Republicans went on their #SchumerShutdown rampage and Senate Democrats got essentially the same funding deal McConnell had offered before the shutdown, the polls now show that 39% of people blame Democrats for the shutdown and 38% blame Republicans... when previously that had been 26% Democrats and 46% Republicans.

Remember: it's all about messaging. Here's the message I would have put out:

Democrats want to pass the Dream Act, protect Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, restore net neutrality, and fund CHIP. Republicans would rather shut down the government. #TrumpShutdown
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #1996 on: January 27, 2018, 05:26:30 pm »
I am consistently disgusted with the utter idiocy and simple-mindedness of the American voter.

IMO, things could be better if you HAVE to attend college in order to vote.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #1997 on: January 27, 2018, 05:34:49 pm »
Ah yes. Those born too poor to get into college don't need to vote. Disregarding that that would impact PoC far more than white people, and basically be used as an excuse to disenfranchise them even more than they already are.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #1998 on: January 27, 2018, 05:52:48 pm »
...admittedly, not one of my more thought out ideas.

It occurs to me I'm prone to knee-jerk spite.

Mostly directed at hillbillies - I recognize it in myself a sort of abject disdain for rural whites.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:56:25 pm by niam2023 »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1999 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:53 pm »
I am consistently disgusted with the utter idiocy and simple-mindedness of the American voter.

IMO, things could be better if you HAVE to attend college in order to vote.

Combine that with free college (cost: 60% of the cost of the increase in the military budget last year) and you might--might--have a workable proposal.

One I think is wildly undemocratic, but at least it wouldn't be outright class warfare.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Dappler

• Apprentice
« Reply #2000 on: January 27, 2018, 08:48:22 pm »

Democrats want to pass the Dream Act, protect Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, restore net neutrality, and fund CHIP. Republicans would rather shut down the government. #TrumpShutdown
Well put.

But as tiresome as alliteration can be, as others have mentioned - people are fucking morons, and sadly alliteration sticks. Next shutdown - don't even mention the shutdown. It's the Trump train wreck. (Not least because if he weighs in, you describe the disaster, and if he stays out you describe the disaster, and he'll probably have changed his position at least five times since last time anyone checked, and the second you mention a train wreck people will put aside a minute or two to hear a disaster narrative and litany of failure. Not to mention every time he fucks something else up, it's part of the Trump train wreck. Every tweet. Every denial. Every utterance. All part of the Trump train wreck. You'll never need to mention the word Presidency ever again. It's the Trump train wreck.)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2001 on: January 29, 2018, 05:48:49 pm »

Well put.

This, meanwhile, is the Democratic Party as it actually is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHZBmF8mk4

EDIT: On another note, Trump State of the Union drinking games!

http://www.debatedrinking.com/state-of-the-union-drinking-game
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:02:40 pm by dpareja »

Offline Dappler

• Apprentice
« Reply #2002 on: January 30, 2018, 04:03:58 am »
Now we just have to get the Democrats to play it during the TeleTrumpted speechism...

Misstatement of the looney one.

Hopefully everyone realises he's not going to implode, so there is exactly zero point in watching. (And if he does suddenly go into denture mode - well, who needs to see that live.)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2003 on: January 30, 2018, 09:00:05 am »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/us/politics/trump-russia-sanctions.html

Trump has decided that just because the congress has approved the Russia sanctions and done so in a way that prevents him from using his veto, he doesn't have to accept the results anyway.

...Fun fact, originally impeachment was designed for situation like this and not for the crazy idea that the president would break the laws.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2004 on: January 30, 2018, 03:49:09 pm »
And the GOP does nothing.

Ironbite-despite how bad this looks.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2005 on: January 30, 2018, 05:37:19 pm »
Man, isn't it great living in a country where the President is a fascist despot and the people whose job it is to hold him accountable refuse to do that job?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #2006 on: January 30, 2018, 05:44:19 pm »
And the "Liberal Media" will swoon about how "Presidential" he was reading someone else's speech as long as he doesn't eat his tie on national TV.

Actually, even then...
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2007 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:55 am »
Gotta love Trump riding high off of continued policies that have been ongoing since Obama's presidency. He acts like Unemployment being down, consumer confidence being up and wages going up are all brand new now since he became president, and absolutely nothing to do with him not passing any policy to really make any major changes yet to the economy in the last year. Well see where things are in four to eight years after Republicans really have a chance to effect the economy.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Dappler

• Apprentice
« Reply #2008 on: January 31, 2018, 12:35:10 pm »
There is indeed that irony - coupled with the greater one where he used to slag off most of those metrics as being lies when Obama was running the show, and the greater one still where the only metric that is remarkably unreliable shite is the only one he's actually doing better than Obama with, and that's consumer confidence, and is what you get when you ask stupid people stupid questions, both when Obama was running the joint, and when Trump was playing with trucks in his garden.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/30/16945146/trump-economic-record

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2009 on: January 31, 2018, 12:57:52 pm »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t