Author Topic: Atheist becomes fundie christian preacher and conspiracy theorist.  (Read 15790 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Okay, what the fuck.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/10/10/atheist-who-convinced-pa-school-board-to-stop-reciting-the-lords-prayer-in-2012-returns-to-apologize/

Two years ago, Ernest Perce V (below, the Pennsylvania State Director of American Atheists at the time) and Carl Silverman (of the PA Nonbelievers) tried to convince the Greencastle-Antrim School District board members to drop the Lord’s Prayer, a 50-year-old tradition.

And it worked! The board members realized they weren’t going to win this battle, so they stopped fighting it.

Last week, when the school board held its regular meeting, Ernest Perce was there once again… but for a very different and surprising reason.

He came to apologize:

Wearing a white clergy collar against a black shirt, he said he was now a traveling preacher.

“Every day I kick myself at what I did,” Perce told the board members and public in attendance. “Forgive me.”

What changed his mind?

He was an atheist for six years, and then a prophecy turned his life around. That was Revelation 2:9. In the Revised Standard Version the text reads, “I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich) and the slander of those who say that they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.”

Umm… okay. I mean, that did nothing for me, but I guess those words are magical. Who knew.

(I should say that his apology doesn’t negate the fact that he was right two years ago — the Christian prayers still have no place at a school board meeting.)

He also became convinced, after reading a book by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, that Jesus was not a Jew, the Jewish holocaust never occurred, and 9/11 was caused by “the false state of Israel.” He now leads Jesus Was Not a Jew Ministries, with 40 followers. He and his wife intend to pull their boys, Praise, 12, and Apple, 5, out of public school, to be homeschooled while traveling with them on the preaching circuit.

Pardon me, but I must repeat myself.  What the fuck.

How the fuck do you go from an anti-theist who doesn't give a shit about what religious people think, to... THAT!?

Help me understand how this can happen, because even as an ex-Christian who was raised as one, I just don't get it.

EDIT:

Okay, apparently, he was a fundie Christian before, lost his faith due to one Bible verse (which wasn't even the largest contradiction in the entire thing), and... I dunno, found god.  Or money.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:56:30 pm by Witchyjoshy »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Atheist becomes fundie christian preacher and conspiracy theorist.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:40:00 pm »
It's because god showed him the way to salvation blah blah blah

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:47:55 pm »
I remember this guy, he dressed as Zombie Muhammed in some parade and a muslim tried to choke him out and got away with it. sounds like this guy is into trolling people, he might just turn up again in a couple months and declare he's actually a Scientologist.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:30:40 pm »
I remember this guy, he dressed as Zombie Muhammed in some parade and a muslim tried to choke him out and got away with it. sounds like this guy is into trolling people, he might just turn up again in a couple months and declare he's actually a Scientologist.

His children are named Praise and Apple.  Back when he was a fundie preacher BEFORE his conversion to atheism.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:40:14 pm by Witchyjoshy »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 04:53:15 pm »
So he's a die hard Steve Jobs fan from way back?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 05:37:39 pm »
I heard somewhere that extremists are more likely to go to the opposite extreme than to moderation.  And the article seems to imply that he was pretty extreme as an atheist as well.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 07:00:01 pm »
I heard somewhere that extremists are more likely to go to the opposite extreme than to moderation.  And the article seems to imply that he was pretty extreme as an atheist as well.

A case in point is David Horowitz. When he was younger in the 1960s and 70s, he was a hard-left Trotskyist. During the 80s, rather than moderate his opinions, he simply whipsawed to hard-right neocon McCarthyite.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 03:01:57 am »
What changed his mind?
How the fuck do you go from an anti-theist who doesn't give a shit about what religious people think, to... THAT!?

Maybe?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:12:57 am »
What changed his mind?

Maybe?

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:23:30 am »
What changed his mind?

Maybe?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:25:27 am by Ghoti »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:43 am »
What changed his mind?

Maybe?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 03:55:05 am »
What changed his mind?

Maybe?

(click to show/hide)

That is the most awful beer. Ever.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 04:40:25 am »
What changed his mind?

Maybe?

(click to show/hide)

That is the most awful beer. Ever.

Chuck in some...

...washed down with...

...I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!

It looked like this.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:42:20 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 06:30:18 am »
I think that the most likely explanation is either this:
Or this:

Concidering that I've seen a former muslim fanatic who became christian fanatic this would not be the first time someone goes from from being one type of fundie to another. I suppose it would be nicer if more people would mellow out but it is easier for someone who was an exteremist to become a different type of extremist than to find a moderate position of any kind. (If your whole life has been spinning around being 100% for something, being 100% fanatic for it and seeing everything in black and white then you can practically keep the same mindset even if you change that one thing you are fanatical about. )

...Then again, it would not be the first time someone is a dedicated troll either.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:34:21 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 07:02:26 am »
Could be someone who just likes a lot of structure and cognitive certainty, religion can provide a framework for that so can political/social ideologies.

Is there a personality type that's innately drawn to fanaticism? I've heard of Anarchists flipping to Nazis before despite one being polar left and the other polar right.