Author Topic: #YesAllWomen  (Read 14274 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: #YesAllWomen
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 09:46:40 pm »
I think it should be noted that 40% of domestic violence victims are male.  It's an issue, certainly, just not a female-only issue.
That's true, but I think at the moment the focus is more on women specific issues, it's sort of like how after a gay kid kills himself we tend to focus on suicide among gay teens.

Is it really true that 40% of domestic violence victims are men?
Not just men, but boys too.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 09:58:56 pm »
#YesAllCats
I can't tell, is this tag suppose to mock #YESALLWOMEN, function as an affectionate parody, or serve as some kind of analogy.
Of course, most of us still remember Social Justice Wario, once upon a time something several of us considered funny until we realized that the term "Social Justice Warrior" was intended to demonize rational minded people, not just mock some thin-skinned people who go apeshit over pictures of meat.

Of course, the origin of this parody hashtag stems from 4Chan, and a majority of that site's populace are openly misogynistic, sexually frustrated loonies. So...
Wait, you're saying cats are misogynistic, sexually frustrated loonies?

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 10:07:39 pm »
Oh, I really meant 4Chan. Last time I heard, someone told me cats were "antisocial" creatures.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 10:10:30 pm »
Oh, I really meant 4Chan. Last time I heard, someone told me cats were "antisocial" creatures.
They're not.  At least, not most of them.  Sure, they're aloof and detached, but they can be very loving.

I think now's a good time to point out the difference between "asocial" and "antisocial".  Asocial means you're introverted.  Antisocial means you're an asshole.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 10:19:35 pm »
My cat greets me at the door often enough, and he seeks me out for company, so yeah.

Also stray/feral housecats will form matriarchal packs.  So, quite social, actually.

Also cats will go out of their way to hide their waste (unless they're mad at you - or sick).  Dogs, on the other hand, are quite proud of their waste.

Cats win, in my book.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 10:37:28 pm »
I know.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 10:38:43 pm »
1. I used the term "antisocial" correctly. You know, the typical impression that cats are psychotic assholes.

2. This was coming from my sister's boyfriend, who had a bad experience with their parent's house cat. Of course I know he's biased, and he even admitted it.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 10:46:22 pm »
#ProbablyMostOstriches

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 11:17:52 pm »
#NotTheBees

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 12:04:32 am »
#MaybeSomeOfTheHamsters
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 12:05:49 am »
#CertainlyManyLionesses

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 12:25:47 am »
#AllTheMongols
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 01:43:16 am »
Staph.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 01:53:14 am »
#Staph

EDIT:

What is #YesAllWomen anyway? I think I've only heard of it from a few posts on this site.
It's a tag and the Idea behind it is suppose to be
Not all men are harrasers, but yes all women will get harassed.

I can sympathize with men that get defensive when a blanket description like "could be a rapist" is applied to them. Perhaps a not-so-hypothetical analogy would help illustrate the point:

"Not all mentally ill people are violent, but yes all neurotypicals must assume otherwise for our safety."

It's not a productive way to include them in the conversation.

Funny, you don't seem to have a problem doing this with groups you don't like.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:56:04 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 07:33:12 pm »
#Staph

EDIT:

What is #YesAllWomen anyway? I think I've only heard of it from a few posts on this site.
It's a tag and the Idea behind it is suppose to be
Not all men are harrasers, but yes all women will get harassed.

I can sympathize with men that get defensive when a blanket description like "could be a rapist" is applied to them. Perhaps a not-so-hypothetical analogy would help illustrate the point:

"Not all mentally ill people are violent, but yes all neurotypicals must assume otherwise for our safety."

It's not a productive way to include them in the conversation.

Funny, you don't seem to have a problem doing this with groups you don't like.
Ummm, mentally I'll people are twice as likely too be murdered as they are to murder someone.

As for the not all men defense: the reason it's stupid is because it'll generally be used when someone obviously doesn't think "All men are like that."

And for the "Could be a rapist" thing, if we're referring to Tumblrina saying how this guy dating this girl "might be a rapist" then that is stupid. If we mean women who takes this line of thinking when dealing with people you meet at bars and other similar situations then it is okay.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:49:43 pm by I am lizard »