Author Topic: "Good lord, Internet! Cut it out!" On Excessive Beiber Hate  (Read 44800 times)

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
Re: "Good lord, Internet! Cut it out!" On Excessive Beiber Hate
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 04:32:29 pm »
I don't understand the Beiber hate at all. I don't like his music because I don't like mainstream pop or whatever it is called, but I don't hate him becuase I think his music sucks. Same thing with Celine Dion, I don't like her music, and she gets a lot of hate too (as does Nickleback sometimes).

It's like Canadian musicians aren't allowed to be successful at all or something. :P

If people don't like Beiber (or Dion or Nickleback or whoever) then just don't listen to or buy their music. I don't get  why that concept is so hard for people to grasp.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 04:57:53 pm »
I find myself tapping my foot to his music whenever I hear it at the supermarket but then I realize I'm doing that and I stop.

That being said, I hate him as a person, not as a musician.  But more than that, I pity him because he's on that downward spiral and he ain't stopping.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »
Beiber is just another celebrity trainwreck in the making, I frankly don't care that much about him except to be mildly amused by his bizarre antics.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 05:02:00 pm »
Also as to the Twilight hate, Vampires don't sparkle just saying...

OK, here's the thing. I don't like Twilight, I think the plot is clichéd and uninteresting and it has fucked up aspects like the "stalking is love" thing and the whatever the fuck with the werewolf's true love being a newborn child. And the fact I even know that is worrying in itself.

All that being said, I'm tired of the whole "Real vampires don't sparkle!" deal. There's no such thing as real vampires. Pretty much every fictional universe's version of vampires is different from every other's. Bram Stoker's Dracula didn't burn up in the sun, had a dozen different weaknesses with different kinds of plants (garlic being the only one that made it into mainstream vampire lore), wasn't killed by a wooden stake but by cutting off his throat and stabbing him with a knife through the heart. Plenty of vampire stories decide to drop the "ask for permission before entering a house" thing, or the "can be distracted by dropping lots of tiny objects" thing, or the weakness to religious icons, or change the way turning works, and so on and so forth. Twilight is not exceptional in this regard. Twilight vampires are undead humans that sustain themselves through drinking blood and can turn other humans into vampire; that's more or less the basic core of vampirism. Is sparkling silly? Yeah. So is not being able to cross running water.

Please carry on hating or not hating Bieber and Twilight.
Σא

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 05:02:01 pm »
Beiber is just another celebrity trainwreck in the making, I frankly don't care that much about him except to be mildly amused by his bizarre antics.

Same here. His music is mediocre but it's not nearly as terrible as people make it out to be. It's the shit he pulls that makes him memorable.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 05:16:34 pm »

OK, here's the thing. I don't like Twilight, I think the plot is clichéd and uninteresting and it has fucked up aspects like the "stalking is love" thing and the whatever the fuck with the werewolf's true love being a newborn child. And the fact I even know that is worrying in itself.

All that being said, I'm tired of the whole "Real vampires don't sparkle!" deal. There's no such thing as real vampires. Pretty much every fictional universe's version of vampires is different from every other's. Bram Stoker's Dracula didn't burn up in the sun, had a dozen different weaknesses with different kinds of plants (garlic being the only one that made it into mainstream vampire lore), wasn't killed by a wooden stake but by cutting off his throat and stabbing him with a knife through the heart. Plenty of vampire stories decide to drop the "ask for permission before entering a house" thing, or the "can be distracted by dropping lots of tiny objects" thing, or the weakness to religious icons, or change the way turning works, and so on and so forth. Twilight is not exceptional in this regard. Twilight vampires are undead humans that sustain themselves through drinking blood and can turn other humans into vampire; that's more or less the basic core of vampirism. Is sparkling silly? Yeah. So is not being able to cross running water.

You know, now that you mention it, I actually agree with you.

(click to show/hide)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 05:28:25 pm »
That sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to see underground "Vampire bars" where people are willingly giving blood, since if you have enough people to donate it wouldn't have to kill them, and they could be getting paid top dollar.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Silhouette

• Neonate
  • Something clever belongs here...
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 06:04:36 pm »
The whole sparkling in the sun thing was just an excuse to make them more indestructible. It's explained as a misconception humans got throughout history when seeing them in the sun. They can only be destroyed by other vampires (ripped apart and burned). Humans are completely helpless unlike in most vampire stories, which kinda makes them scarier in a way.

People have a sick obsession with building up celebrities and their egos to watch them fall. Especially child stars it seems.They love to hate and trash. Whether they are considered some of the greatest like Elvis and Marilyn Monroe or someone like Justin Bieber and Lindsay Lohan. Then when they drop dead, they suddenly have nice things to say about them again. Trash the living but respect the dead.

Tabloids don't care what you have to say about the people they talk about as long as you are watching, reading or posting comments. Stop paying attention. Negative comments won't make them go away. Tabloids are fiction anyway.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-child-stars-go-crazy-an-insiders-perspective/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:18:21 pm by gaptt »
WTF should I put here?!               was gaptt

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 06:21:04 pm »
I think Bieber's a complete douchebag, but I don't go around posting comments on friggin' videos about it. It's annoying to see generic musicians have a fanbase of screaming tweens, but I don't spend my days brooding over this fact.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 07:42:30 pm »
That sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to see underground "Vampire bars" where people are willingly giving blood, since if you have enough people to donate it wouldn't have to kill them, and they could be getting paid top dollar.

Actually, my vampires generally don't take enough blood to kill someone unless they're really being greedy or malicious.  Namely because deaths attract attention which attracts trouble.  I forgot to clarify.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 08:40:17 pm »
Give me Buffy/Angelvamps.  Those are my faves.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 10:18:42 pm »
The internet also needs to stop creeping on Emma Watson. That's seriously weirding me out.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 10:58:45 pm »

Concerning the "sparkly vampire" thing, I agree. Heck, long ago, vampires were what we today would call "zombies" (and zombies were simply living people under some weird spell that made them mindless slaves) rather than the oft-sexy bloodsucking humanoid demon race we all know & love.

What we are saying, everyone, is not that you can't express distaste at something or say it's silly or stupid. The point is that folks tend to blow it out of proportion. There's a big difference between:

I personally don't really care for Bieber or his music & I think his recent behavior is out of line.

I HATE BIEBER & HIS FANS AND THEY ALL SHOULD DIE CUZ THEY'RE FAAAAGS WHO EAT BABIES & FART MAGGOTS OR SOMETHING! KILL THEM!

I really don't get the Celine Dion hate. I've heard the Titanic theme & I thought it was a lovely song. Maybe it's the "overplayed schmaltz" factor,  I dunno. Likewise, I feel Michael Bolton & Kenny G are "overplayed schmaltz" but I'm not going to actively hate them or put their music in the same category as Karen Black & her "Friday" song. Heck, I wouldn't even hate on Karen Black. She's not a professional musician, just an average kid who went to a rather questionable organization to crank out a crappy tune THEY wrote.

There's a hatedom for Sinbad. What's wrong with Sinbad? People talk about him like he's Gallagher or something (Gallagher deserves all the hatedom he gets). I've watched Sinbad's stand-up specials and he's hilarious! Sure, he's old news but one should watch his early specials, you'll have the time of your life!

There's a lot of issues with Twilight but "sparkly vampires" is not one of them. I'd have more an issue with the helpless, emotional wreck leading lady, the "romantic stalking", hunky sexually-harassing yet somehow heroic werewolves & the whole "baby per-ordained to be a werewolf bride". So, we're supposed to just accept weak women with no backbone, stalking, sex harassment, arranged marriage & perhaps child brides as something good. I don't mind the basic premise of the series (human-vampire/werewolf romance) or the sparkly vampires, it's the above issues that are worrying.

That said, people take their distaste & dose it with steroids. It's annoying. Why is it considered cool to be a jerk? If it's a reaction to the darker aspects of this world & humanity, wouldn't being kind be the antidote to that? If everything sucks, why add to it? It's like fighting darkness by turning off the light.

That leads me to another topic. Hyper-cynical, miserable, tragic movies/TV/music is popular when times are dark while happy/positive/non-tragic stuff is big when times are good. It makes no sense to me. If the world's in the toilet, why have that fact drilled in your head for entertainment?  If I'm miserable, I wanna escapism, dammitt!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 11:11:27 pm »
Quote from: Spuki
That leads me to another topic. Hyper-cynical, miserable, tragic movies/TV/music is popular when times are dark while happy/positive/non-tragic stuff is big when times are good. It makes no sense to me. If the world's in the toilet, why have that fact drilled in your head for entertainment?  If I'm miserable, I wanna escapism, dammitt!

Sad people don't want to see others having fun.  They want others to be sad with them.  IE: Misery loves company.

Gotta love human nature.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 11:17:14 pm »

Actually, my vampires generally don't take enough blood to kill someone unless they're really being greedy or malicious.  Namely because deaths attract attention which attracts trouble.  I forgot to clarify.
Ahh. Still, vampire bars would be interesting, since it would be cool to see a segment of humanity that gains from the vampire society, making money and living well for some of their blood.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.