Author Topic: Japanese build speech jamming gun  (Read 2574 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Japanese build speech jamming gun
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:41:11 am »
The drone of speakers who won't stop is an inevitable experience at conferences, meetings, cinemas and public libraries.

Today, Kazutaka Kurihara at the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Tskuba and Koji Tsukada at Ochanomizu University, both in Japan, present a radical solution: a speech jamming device that forces recalcitrant speakers into submission.

The idea is simple. Psychologists have known for some years that it is almost impossible to speak when your words are replayed to you with a delay of a fraction of a second.

Kurihara and Tsukada have simply built a handheld device consisting of a microphone and a  speaker that does just that: it records a person's voice and replays it to them with a delay of about 0.2 seconds. The microphone and speaker are directional so the device can be aimed at a speaker from a distance, like a gun.

In tests, Kurihara and Tsukada say their speech jamming gun works well: "The system can disturb remote people's speech without any physical discomfort." 

Their tests also identify some curious phenomena. They say the gun is more effective when the delay varies in time and more effective against speech that involves reading aloud than against spontaneous monologue. Sadly, they report that it has no effect on meaningless sound sequences such as "aaaaarghhh".
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27620/

Why does it seem like Japan is always first building these interesting new toys?  I want one!
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Japanese build speech jamming gun
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:05:32 pm »
I can attest to this WORKING.  My raid leader in WoW and I were on a podcast that had a half-second delay.  It completely fucked us up for the entire segment.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:10:08 pm »
I can think of a few people to use this on already.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »
I can think of a few people to use this on already.
It's only cool as long as the others aren't doing it.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:20:07 pm »
I wonder if it would be possible to sneak one of these things into Parliament...

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:04:18 pm »
An anti-filibuster tool?  Leave it to Japan to fix that irritating shit.  Thank you, Japan.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:11:41 am »
The idea has been around for a while.  If an alleged spy claimed to be deaf, the intelligence agency would use this to tell if they were lying.  The person's own voice would be fed back into headphones, and deaf people are the only ones unaffected.  The idea of making it into a STFU gun is brilliant. :)

I can attest to this WORKING.  My raid leader in WoW and I were on a podcast that had a half-second delay.  It completely fucked us up for the entire segment.

The first thing I thought of when I read about this device was Ventrilo harassment.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:22:04 am by StallChaser »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:00:47 pm »
The idea has been around for a while.  If an alleged spy claimed to be deaf, the intelligence agency would use this to tell if they were lying.  The person's own voice would be fed back into headphones, and deaf people are the only ones unaffected.  The idea of making it into a STFU gun is brilliant. :)

The first thing I thought of when I read about this device was Ventrilo harassment.

We were twitching after five minutes, at 20, we stopped and asked them to fix it (they didn't, and they said the recording would be okay), and at 45, we were just exhausted in trying to talk around it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."