Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1599610 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #5790 on: October 22, 2017, 10:50:17 am »
THIS IS HOW YOU DO A GOOD POLITICAL CARTOON:

Notice how there are no labels?

Notice how the artist trusts that the average viewer will recognize the characters?

For those who don't get it: the British prime minister May is threatening to give Boris Johnson (the British Donald Trump) the keys to the PM's apartment if she does not get a good BREXIT deal.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5791 on: October 22, 2017, 10:06:37 pm »
I always look at British politics and all I can really think about it is "and people think a non-two party system is without problems?".
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5792 on: October 22, 2017, 11:03:27 pm »
I always look at British politics and all I can really think about it is "and people think a non-two party system is without problems?".

The UK (and Canada) use an electoral system that tends toward two parties or regionalism (Duverger's Law) and attempt to have a multi-party system.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5793 on: October 23, 2017, 12:25:47 am »
And it's landed the UK with Teresa May as Prime Minister.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5794 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:17 am »
I am under the impression that UK has some sort of supersized version of Gerrymandering that they inherited from the early days of their democrasy. With regions having voting power based on how much power it was given centuries ago which has no relation to how many people live there now.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5795 on: October 23, 2017, 03:49:26 am »
Nah, they dealt with that in the mid-19th century.

I'm not sure that Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland have seats in the Commons quite in proportion to their population, but England dwarfs all of them anyway.

As for the system's landing May as PM, that's really hard to say.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5796 on: October 23, 2017, 05:09:31 pm »

The UK (and Canada) use an electoral system that tends toward two parties or regionalism (Duverger's Law) and attempt to have a multi-party system.
Australia ends up the same with preferential voting. Though you can end up where independents or outliers like the Greens hold the balance of power. Overall it's still dominated by two major parties that bought the neoliberal mantra hook, line and sinker.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5797 on: October 23, 2017, 05:30:29 pm »

Australia ends up the same with preferential voting. Though you can end up where independents or outliers like the Greens hold the balance of power. Overall it's still dominated by two major parties that bought the neoliberal mantra hook, line and sinker.

Hare is a 100% fucked up system. Any time I hear that some jurisdiction is considering adopting it I scream.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #5798 on: November 04, 2017, 01:43:49 am »

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #5799 on: November 04, 2017, 01:47:06 am »
alright. Instead we just pass a budget that removes all subsidies and then blame the program for failing when we deliberately do everything we can to arrange for it to fail
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5800 on: November 04, 2017, 02:29:53 am »
From a Maryland Republican:

Yeah some basic math tells me that with respect to this Tax bill, "Simplify the Tax Code" = "Take away all sorts of things that working and middle class people use to lower their tax liability".

I'm not opposed to corporate tax reform, but fucking over everyone who makes $30k+/year is the exact wrong way to go about it.

And if you want to simplify the tax code, I'm not necessarily opposed to that either; just do it in a way that doesn't double my tax bill. Assholes.

Between this and the Obamacare repeal debacle, I'm seriously starting to wonder if the Republicans even want to be in power. Because if they pass this piece of shit bill as it's written, I'm predicting 50+ seats flip in the house, and the Dems seriously threaten the Senate on the most GOP-friendly map in recent history.

Yes it's THAT bad.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:07:34 pm by dpareja »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5801 on: December 01, 2017, 07:19:37 pm »

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #5802 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:51 pm »

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #5803 on: February 27, 2018, 12:39:51 pm »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5804 on: February 27, 2018, 06:17:27 pm »
Speaking of the "skeptics," is anyone else flabbergasted that Dusty Smith walked away from them when he realized that they were all racing to see who could jump into the right-wing lake fastest?
Who needs a signature?