Author Topic: What are your stereotypes?  (Read 11907 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
What are your stereotypes?
« on: October 26, 2014, 01:00:32 am »
We spend a lot of time on this forum talking about how the prejudices and stereotypes people hold influence society. Something that I rarely see, though, is an examination of our own prejudices, though I admit I may just be reading the wrong threads. I think it would be worth it to have a thread devoted to the subject, so I'll start.

1) If someone is heavy into "traditional" sports like baseball and football, I tend to assume they have lower intelligence. Wrestling and MMA score even lower on my mental IQ-meter. On the other hand, I tend to assume that people who enjoy less mainstream sports like fencing and traditional martial arts are more intelligent.

2) Related to the above, if someone actively participates in football or wrestling, I tend to assume they're more likely to be aggressive and bullying, even if I've only just met them.

3) If someone shares my tastes in movies, books and music, I tend to assume they're more intelligent. I don't have an opinion on most other genres, but I tend to assume those who enjoy crime dramas, war movies  and country and rap music are politically conservative and more likely to have violent, hawkish attitudes.

4) When I hear that someone is a Christian, I tend to assume they're less intelligent and more likely to be hateful and intolerant, even while I'm willing to give many other religions and philosophies a pass on their vocal (or violent) minorities.

5) I tend to assume people with pets are more intelligent and compassionate than they may actually be.

6) I tend to assume that people who are politically conservative are greedy, hateful and/or stupid without any other cause.  By the same token, I tend to assume that liberals are more intelligent and compassionate, even though our side can be just as loud and vitriolic, just for different reasons.

Anyone else care to comment or contribute?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: What are your stereotypes?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:25:24 am »
I've flung the epithet "neckbeard" recently and I know it's a lazy and dehumanizing stereotype, I should know better.

I'm often a little sus when I see people dressed in tracksuits, part of me just associates that with petty criminal or junkie.

I used to have this weird prejudice against goths but I challenged it as silly and I think I successfully got rid of it.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 01:57:35 am »
If someone's from Idaho, I tend to assume they're the worst kind of conservative. You know the type. Naturally, this caused problems when I was living there. Nothing overt though.

People who publicly admit to liking shooter games above other genres worry me. I assume they're more violent and less intelligent than the norm.

A roleplaying stereotype, so you probably won't understand, but if someone has autoplay or uses Walfas icons, their blog is probably not that good. So I avoid it.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:28:13 am »
Going along with #5 in the OP, one of the biggest assumptions I make is animal-related. If a person doesn't like certain animals, then I view them as more heartless, less intelligent, potentially violent, and overall someone I don't want to associate with. I understand bad experiences with certain animals, like if you're around someone else's dog who's not trained well, but even then you should be able to recognize that such an occurrence is not representative of all animals.

When it comes to religion, I try not to view the person as less intelligent or intolerant unless they're very out-and-proud about it. In that case, I have no problem with viewing them as assholes or calling them out on their hatred.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:52:24 am »
I think dyed hair in goofy bright colours is the female version of the fedora.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:28:11 am »
This may sound a bit odd, but if somebody lives in a gated community, I tend to assume they're a milquetoast.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:30:05 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 11:17:18 am »
If they drive a big truck, they have a small brain.

If they smoke, they're a uncaring piece of ****.

If they refer to Jesus more than once when talking about their faith, they're a fundie.

If they have a "Pro Life" bumper sticker, they're a fundie, far-right ***hole.

Unfortunately, too many people where I live tend to live up to their stereotypes, making it a rare gem when someone actually shows depth.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:05:26 pm »
Going along with #5 in the OP, one of the biggest assumptions I make is animal-related. If a person doesn't like certain animals, then I view them as more heartless, less intelligent, potentially violent, and overall someone I don't want to associate with. I understand bad experiences with certain animals, like if you're around someone else's dog who's not trained well, but even then you should be able to recognize that such an occurrence is not representative of all animals.

I do want to ask, and I hope you don't mind if I do, but what exactly do you mean by "certain animals"? Like, if a person likes some animals but not others, does that count? Just to give an example, I'm not exactly a dog person. I don't hate them, but I don't really like them either. But I am a huge fan, a huge fan of cats. So it makes me curious.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:33:55 pm »

I do want to ask, and I hope you don't mind if I do, but what exactly do you mean by "certain animals"? Like, if a person likes some animals but not others, does that count? Just to give an example, I'm not exactly a dog person. I don't hate them, but I don't really like them either. But I am a huge fan, a huge fan of cats. So it makes me curious.

I say certain animals because I can understand people disliking some of them. Like snakes. I don't dislike snakes, but I can understand why people may find them creepy or generally don't want to be around them (although I might view some of those people as dumb in their reasoning for their fear). Other animals like dogs and cats tend to be more universally pleasant and bring endless joy to people's lives. I've also met people whose hatred goes beyond pets and extends to any animal, from wolves to jaguars to giraffes, and everything in between. Having hatred for such beautiful animals blows my mind.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:35:29 pm by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 06:11:43 pm »
I posted this in the Gamergate thread and while I am not trying to spam, I really would like others' input on this and this thread seems to be a good place to put it. I am focusing on this particular stereotype of the fat neckbeard gamer for this article. So if you have time you can head over to this link:

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6135.0
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:17:33 pm »
If they are big on "drug culture", I tend to assume people as immature.

If they say "depression is not a real sickness", I tend to assume they don't know what they're talking about.

If they are big on firearms, I tend to flinch.

If they think that morality is dictated by religion, I tend to think they suffer from cultural myopia.

Oh, and I hate goths. No apologies. Bunch of hypocrites who enjoy wearing lace and bragging about bdsm without actually practicing it (too many true stories to succinctly write them down here)...
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:31:45 pm »
If they say "depression is not a real sickness", I tend to assume they don't know what they're talking about.

Isn't that less of a stereotype and more of a cause and effect?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 11:38:52 pm »
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 11:41:24 pm »

BRB, crossposting that.

By the way, I tend to assume that anti-theists are less intellectually rigorous.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 11:49:53 pm »
People who roll Chaotic Evil characters tend to make me believe that they don't know how to play evil characters.

People who roll Chaotic Good characters tend to make me believe that they're boring and want to go for a standard vigilante.

People who never roll Lawful Good unless they're Paladins make me think that they suck at roleplaying lawful anything without having a stick stuck up their arse.

People who roll True Neutral characters tend to make me worried at what they'll do with it.

People who roll Lawful Evil characters, or an alignment with only one neutral in it, tend to make me think they're more imaginative players.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet