Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462681 times)

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #945 on: August 30, 2012, 09:32:16 am »
I'd also suggest anything from the Shin Megami Tensei or Persona series.  Disgaea's a good, toonier option, too.

I'd probably steer away from the more stat-intensive games.  Things like managing stats and planning out strategies are likely skills you'll lose if you're high on painkillers.

But that could also mean some hilarious let's plays.

Saturn500

« Reply #946 on: August 30, 2012, 03:48:48 pm »
Guess what's new on Steam?

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #947 on: August 30, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »
Seems to me that the majority of the complaining about Elder Scrolls Online is either conjecture unsupported by any actual, ya know...facts, or the classic standby, "they changed it, therefore it sucks."
When was the last time the elder scrolls community was happy with something? They seriously have the ability to stare down the depths of the gift horse's mouth and then complain about the view.

Don't have a stick up your ass and it has some promise. I'm curious how it works myself because it does seem like a universe where an MMO actually could work.

Seriously, I can't stand other Elder Scrolls fans. If I hear one more goddamn word about spears..

For those confused, spears and polearms were available weapons in Morrowind, but haven't reappeared since. Every time a game in the series comes out, people demand their inclusion then freak out when they don't get them. What they seem to be forgetting is that spears and polearms fucking sucked in Morrowind. They did less damage than a one-handed sword but needed both hands for wielding, meaning you couldn't defend yourself very well. I really don't understand why everyone wants them back.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #948 on: August 30, 2012, 05:18:57 pm »
BECAUSE SPEARS!

Honestly if I were getting spears and the like, I'd like mounted combat because that's the only place they would be useful.

Ironbite-but then I don't do a lot of mounted combat so...

Distind

« Reply #949 on: August 30, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
Just hope the mounted combat doesn't include a completely fucked targeting system.

Suffice to say shooting a crossbow from horse back doesn't work... at all.. let alone very well, just at all. May be trying it with a sword or something soon though.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #950 on: August 30, 2012, 05:25:17 pm »
Shooting anything in anything other then first person is damn hard in Skyrim.  I mean you can do it but I like my first person sneak attack with a bow to the back of the head.

Ironbite-did that to one mage and yeah...

Art Vandelay

« Reply #951 on: August 30, 2012, 05:30:03 pm »
I liked spears. Sure, they don't do as much damage, but as long as they have significantly longer reach than swords and the like (as they would in real life), they'd most definitely have their place. I for one would love to see them as part of some future DLC. They did it with crossbows, so it's hardly impossible.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #952 on: August 30, 2012, 06:28:06 pm »
They actually have mounted combat already.

Unfortunately, it's kinda half-assed.  No magic, no two-handed weapons, just a one-handed weapon.  I'm not sure if you can dual-wield, I haven't tried it yet.

(Hopefully, they'll improve upon it in a future patch)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #953 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »
Shooting anything in anything other then first person is damn hard in Skyrim.  I mean you can do it but I like my first person sneak attack with a bow to the back of the head.

Ironbite-did that to one mage and yeah...

People play Skyrim in 3rd person mode?  XD

In all seriousness, fandoms in general seem to be aiming toward pissing me off.  Whether its the Fallout fandom (I'm looking at YOU, No Mutants Allowed) going into a blood frenzy over the removal of turn-based combat, or the Elder Scrolls fandom frothing at the mouth when Bethesda decided to ditch the abso-fucking-lutely abysmal combat system in Morrowind for one that made fucking sense in every other game since then.  Seriously, they need to take a step back, take their lips off the crack pipe, and fuckin chill.  Nothin wrong with constructive criticism, but going all barbarian rage over every little change...I'm surprised we haven't had reports of any of them dying of self-inflicted heart attacks.

Also, I played Guild Wars 2 for a few hours today.  OH MY GOD, THE SWEETNESS.  That is all.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #954 on: August 30, 2012, 09:27:12 pm »
or the Elder Scrolls fandom frothing at the mouth when Bethesda decided to ditch the abso-fucking-lutely abysmal combat system in Morrowind for one that made fucking sense in every other game since then.

They flat-out worship Morrowind, even though the game is boring and not fun to play if you don't have a guide to all of the super-duper broken equipment that is scattered around the land.

Seriously, they need to take a step back, take their lips off the crack pipe, and fuckin chill.  Nothin wrong with constructive criticism, but going all barbarian rage over every little change...I'm surprised we haven't had reports of any of them dying of self-inflicted heart attacks.

Seriously.

Star Fox is the same way.  Every game that did something different from Star Fox 64 was automatically trash and the worst game ever made.  They aren't happy with any game that isn't Star Fox 64.  Even the remake for the 3DS.

Also, I played Guild Wars 2 for a few hours today.  OH MY GOD, THE SWEETNESS.  That is all.

It does look fun, but I don't think my computer will be able to handle it, sadly.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #955 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »

Yes and there's one game I'd like to see make it.

NEStalgia

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #956 on: August 30, 2012, 11:34:41 pm »

Yes and there's one game I'd like to see make it.

NEStalgia

I'll contribute a "Hell yeah" and a "thumbs up" to that.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #957 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:55 am »
It is possible to play it right now through BYOND or a standalone client they've created.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #958 on: August 31, 2012, 03:14:38 am »
Actually, Zacky, my laptop can run it better than it does DDO.  Granted, it pretty much runs at bare bones graphics settings, which it automatically detects and sets for you (that's how you do convenience RIGHT), but it works right out of the box, as promised, and it works well.

For the record, here's the basic get-up I'm workin with:

* AMD E-350 Processor (2x core) 1.6 GHz
* 4 GB of RAM
* Windows 7 (64-bit OEM)
* AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics

I got it for...around 400 bones.  I've had Minecraft maps that run slower than Guild Wars 2.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #959 on: August 31, 2012, 06:21:32 am »
Pretty good.

Bearing in mind, though, that I have to run DDO at low graphics for it to run smoothly.

Oddly, Psychonauts runs pretty smoothly despite having more complex graphics than DDO, so I don't know anymore lol.