Author Topic: More proof that Christianity is true.  (Read 14868 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: More proof that Christianity is true.
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2018, 02:19:49 pm »
The Children were innocent.  They were children.  I ask again:

If during the US civil war, Abraham Lincoln ordered that the oldest child in every southern white family be killed, would that have been justified?

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:18 pm »
The Children were innocent.  They were children.  I ask again:

If during the US civil war, Abraham Lincoln ordered that the oldest child in every southern white family be killed, would that have been justified?

The difference is that the Israelites were God’s chosen people before Christ came so enslaving them was a much bigger crime so the Egyptian parents deserved the harsh punishment of having their first born children killed. And previously when discussing God’s genocide of the Canaanites, I explained that God is justified in killing anyone because everyone’s a sinner and the wages of sin is death.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2018, 02:57:58 pm »
And what the fuck did the children do to deserve being killed? Seems like forcing them into, say, permanent adoption by the Israelites would have had much the same effect.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2018, 03:10:45 pm »
And what the fuck did the children do to deserve being killed? Seems like forcing them into, say, permanent adoption by the Israelites would have had much the same effect.

As I said before when discussing God’s genocide of the Canaanites, God is justified in killing anyone because everyone’s a sinner and the wages of sin is death.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:43 pm »
You're inserting stuff that's not there into the bible, again because your little fundie brain can't handle the fact that it's mythology written by people who's understanding of the world was the borders of their horizon and who's understanding of morality was "don't piss off the chief, if the chief says it's good-cower appreciatively."

Which is why everybody else here holds your morality in utter contempt and why you will never win any converts and should stop trying. Liberal Christians are a lot more tolerable because they see the bible as broad strokes penned by fallible humans, you don't. It's all or nothing, if the bible is wrong there has to be a hidden biblical caveat that makes it right or plausible such as use of an ancient noun or an improbable way of unique angel touching that somehow isn't magic. What's very telling is that you're perfectly happy with the parts about murdering innocents so long as their parents or leaders were part of an out-group. That's straight up evil, another reason why the only person here you'll ever convince is "right" is yourself but probably not the only one here who doesn't loathe you.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2018, 09:11:59 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHirweOnthA

As Ireland nears a referendum on whether to repeal its blasphemy law (not opposed by the Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference, incidentally), the Freedom from Religion (remember, freedom from religion is the very first guarantee of the First Amendment to the US Constitution; freedom of religion is second) Foundation would like to remind you that blasphemy laws are still on the books even in some US states.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo

The rant that got Stephen Fry investigated for blasphemy in Ireland, on The Meaning of Life on RTÉ One, hosted by Gay Byrne. (Transcript follows, but watch it just for Byrne's reactions.)

Byrne: Suppose what Oscar believed in as he died, in spite of your protestations, suppose it's all true, and you walk up to the Pearly Gates and you are confronted by God. What will Stephen Fry say to him, her, or it?

Fry: I will basically--that is the odyssey, I think--I'll say, bone cancer in children? What's that about? How dare you. How dare you create a world in which there is such misery that is not our fault. It's not right. It's utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain? That's what I'd say.

Byrne: And you think you're going to get in?

Fry: No, but I wouldn't want to. I wouldn't want to get in on his terms. They're wrong.

Now, if I died and it was Pluto--Hades--and it was the twelve Greek gods, then I would have more truck with it, because the Greeks were, they didn't pretend not to be human in their appetites and in their capriciousness and in their unreasonableness. They didn't present themselves as being all-seeing, all-wise, all-kind, all-beneficent, because the god who created this universe, if it was created by a god, is quite clearly a maniac. Utter maniac. Totally selfish, tot--we have to spend our life on our knees thanking him? What kind of god would do that? Yes, the world is very splendid, but it also has in it insects whose whole life cycle is to burrow into the eyes of children and make them blind. They eat outwards from the eyes. Why? Why did you do that to us? You could easily have made a creation in which that didn't exist. It is simply not acceptable.

So, you know, atheism is not just about the not believing there's a god, but on the assumption that there is one, what kind of god is he? It's perfectly apparent that he's monstrous, utterly monstrous and deserves no respect whatsoever. The moment you banish him, your life becomes simpler, purer, cleaner, more worth living in my opinion.

Byrne: That sure is the longest answer to that question that I ever got in this entire series.

Remember: Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.