Author Topic: A new take on economics  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
A new take on economics
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:04:18 pm »
Here's a... new... idea for the future of the economy. The author makes a case for a minimum base income, provide by the government. The argument here, which I completely agree with, is that technology is performing more and more of the jobs that people once did.
As Jaron Lanier points out, Kodak once provided 140,000 middle class jobs, and in the smouldering ruins of that company’s bankruptcy we have Instagram, with 13 employees.  It’s an extreme example, in most cases the economic misery is largely confined to young people, with entry-level workers trapped in a cycle of internships, ever-lengthening education, and debt.
It goes without saying that digital photography has pretty much killed the need for photo labs (outside my 70y/o uncle) to much of the public, and that sites such as Instagram allow people to share and remember their drunken endeavors with much more speed and efficiency, while being maintained by far, far fewer people. Similar things happened with the automation of automobile factories, and it will likely only increase as technology takes over more of the job market.
Once this shift happens, it will be nearly impossible to even have a job without some kind of education. The article states that, should everyone be provided with a default level of income that allows them to "live comfortably", people will have the time and energy to do what they truly enjoy, instead of spending their time at jobs they hate so they can afford to pay rent. The argument here is that people are not inherently lazy, but, while some may certainly sit around and do nothing, those with the desire to work, or in some way be productive, will take the time and effort to do so.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: A new take on economics
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:12:12 pm »
Please. All you need is a decent chunk of change and a good investment advisor, and you can make money hand over fist.

What? You don't have said chunk of change and can't afford an investment advisor? THEN GET A JOB YOU LAZY BUM!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 07:17:12 pm »
It'd never happen. The right wing would rather kill others than inconvenience themselves.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:41:17 pm »
Yeah, their ultimate destination is a return to feudalism, with shiny high tech, of course. They like the idea of serfs begging to shine their boots for pennies. The robots will make the dead starvelings disappear.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:11:40 am »
In Finland this minimum-income thingy does have some support. I'm not quite so sure if it's the best choice but it would simplify all the different benefits and goverment assistance programs.

Personally I doubt that only people with high education will get a job in future. There are still plenty of "simpler" jobs that will never go away.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:32:53 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:26:17 am »
Well, hopefully being a computer science major there's hope for me in a future of robots.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 04:21:55 pm »
Someone has to "mind the tenders" until cheap AI can replace you.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:13:56 pm »
And once that happens, well, who needs a job when your civilization is run by post-singularity AIs?

Just as long as things don't go

THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND

HAPPINESS IS MANDATORY

ARE YOU HAPPY, CITIZEN?