Author Topic: A is for asshole  (Read 9785 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
A is for asshole
« on: September 05, 2013, 03:43:26 pm »
Warning: potentially triggering. (And my apologies to anyone who saw this before I spoilered it and for whom it was triggering.)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:52:22 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

wrightway

Re: A is for asshole
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 04:01:59 pm »
I....how long have they been doing this?!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 04:20:28 pm »
Oh fuck them.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:51:41 pm »
"While the SMU students involved surely failed to grasp the severity of what they were doing and saying, this very fact highlights the need to speak out about sexism when we see it."

Dear, that's not just sexism. That's advocating rape of minors.

And yeah they failed to grasp the severity. I wonder why?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 04:59:17 pm »
Is there something about institutions for higher education that turns these dudes into fucking assholes?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:02:08 pm »
Once away from mommy and daddy...apparently a lot of collage guys turn into rapists.

Ironbite-seriously...the fuck is wrong with them?

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 06:06:53 pm »
Once away from mommy and daddy...apparently a lot of collage guys turn into rapists.

Ironbite-seriously...the fuck is wrong with them?
They've been raised in a testosterone-overdosed culture that places "being a man" on a pedestal, which leads them to try to be more of "a man" than all the men around them, and conform to the bro-culture. Additionally, many of them are raised this way, often times because their fathers were too. Television and popular culture fosters the "women as objects" mindset as well. Because of these factors, they believe that this kind of treatment of women is acceptable, because to a large section of society, it is, and they are praised for being like this.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »
"While the SMU students involved surely failed to grasp the severity of what they were doing and saying, this very fact highlights the need to speak out about sexism when we see it."

Sadly, this seems par for the course in any Catholic institution nowadays.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:01:10 pm »

Saint Mary's is a public institution with no religious affiliation.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:13:42 pm »

I'm confused. How does a secular institution carry a name specific to religion?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:17:32 pm »
It happens all the time?

Sometimes they're done in honor of a certain saint (in the case of St. Jude children's) but in others it's just a name that is recognizable.

Secular doesn't mean no religious names ever.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 07:24:19 pm »

I don't know the specific history of St. Mary's in Halifax or whether or not it has any religious affiliation, but quite a few public facilities in Canada carry Catholic names because they were originally connected with the church. The Grey Nun's hospital in Edmonton, for instance, isn't specifically Catholic (as far as I know), yet carries the name because it traces its roots to the Grey Nuns of Montreal (again, as far as I know).

Keep in mind that Canada doesn't have the same barrier between church and state written into law like you do down in the US, so cosmetic signs of Christian origins in publicly funded areas aren't uncommon. Hell, we even have a publicly funded Catholic school system, which is separate from the regular schools (property owners are able to choose whether their taxes go to the secular or public system).

ETA: A little bit of Googling tells me that Saint Mary's is, in fact, not secular, though it accepts students of all faiths (according to the sites I found).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:38:56 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 07:30:17 pm »

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »
Still, some students said they weren’t bothered by the cheer.

“We thought it was funny,” said Siobhan Evans. ”We were all just excited … I don’t regret it.”

“It wasn't a big deal to me. I’m not a feminist kind of person. It didn’t affect me personally,” said second-year psychology student Amanda Fougere.

If she's a psychology major, I feel bad for her future patients. 

From the comment section:

Where are the humanists here? Not only females can be raped. Not all men are rapists or sex fiends at heart. Why don't you recognise, if females are the equal of males, that all humans have sex drive? LIke any other living organism, the major purpose of life is to procreate and survive. If you want to blame males and make generalisations, then you must also do the same for females.

Our society today still lives, in large part, on two faulty premises: women can do no crime (L. Arbour task force on women in trouble) and females have different needs. Until it is realised that everyone has different needs there will be discrimination and trouble for anyone not acting or resembling societal norms including ability or disability, skin color, facial character, hair, height, gender and so on.

Discrimination was important 10,000 years ago for physical survival. Our brains formed to then and biased views and resulting actions are expressed today when a person cannot control their thinking. Pardon my incorrect grammar but even our language has a problem expressing a non-gender idea. Humanists are working to discard gender based expression and behaviour.

I'm having trouble discerning this guy's point in relation to the article.

Can the University dictate the morals of its students? What the students did showed no class, but so what? All sorts of nasty things go on that are not illegal. The University should distance itself from these actions, but beyond that they can do little. The students are (mostly) adults who are free to express their opinions.

Kids will be kids, amirite?  Just ignore 'em!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 08:00:12 pm »

I don't know the specific history of St. Mary's in Halifax or whether or not it has any religious affiliation, but quite a few public facilities in Canada carry Catholic names because they were originally connected with the church. The Grey Nun's hospital in Edmonton, for instance, isn't specifically Catholic (as far as I know), yet carries the name because it traces its roots to the Grey Nuns of Montreal (again, as far as I know).

Keep in mind that Canada doesn't have the same barrier between church and state written into law like you do down in the US, so cosmetic signs of Christian origins in publicly funded areas aren't uncommon. Hell, we even have a publicly funded Catholic school system, which is separate from the regular schools (property owners are able to choose whether their taxes go to the secular or public system).

ETA: A little bit of Googling tells me that Saint Mary's is, in fact, not secular, though it accepts students of all faiths (according to the sites I found).

Perhaps you were looking at a different Saint Mary's? The one in question, in Halifax, has no religious affiliation (according to Wikipedia at any rate). It was founded by Catholics, though, hence the name.

That said, the Saint Mary's University Act has the following provisions:

2. In this Act,

(i) “the Diocese” means the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of Halifax.
(j) “the Visitor” means the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Halifax, or, where the Archbishop is incapacitated or the See is vacant, the person administering the affairs of the Diocese.

MEMBERSHIP

(2) No religious test shall be required of any officer, employee or student of the University, nor shall any such person be required to take part in any religious observances of any denomination.

5. The objects of the University are:

(b) to give special emphasis to the Christian tradition and values in higher education;

7. (1) The Board shall consist of the following Governors:

(a) the Chancellor, the Visitor, the President and Vice-Chancellor, and the Vice-Presidents;

(b) three appointed by the Diocese;

(f) one appointed by the Upper Canada Province of the Society of Jesus;

THE VISITOR

12A It is the role of the Visitor to provide counsel to the University as the Visitor deems appropriate.

So yeah, there are continuing links between the Catholic Church and the university, but not as much as in the past.