Author Topic: Anti-vaxxers  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
Anti-vaxxers
« on: May 16, 2016, 11:23:58 am »
Are these some of the dumbest people on the planet or what?

The study linking vaccines to autism has been debunked so many times. And even if it was true, is having an autistic kid somehow worse than your kid dying of a preventable disease?

The Canadian province of Ontario is making it law that people who don't vaccinate their kids have to take a science class. Some anti-vaxxer on the news today was up in arms about it:

An Ottawa woman and former "anti-vaxxer" whose seven children contracted whooping cough says the province's plan to make parents attend an educational session before choosing to exempt their kids from vaccination may backfire with some people.

Tara Hills says dialogue, not lecturing, will be the key to success.

"They're already distrustful and now there's a health official who's talking to them about an opposing view. That might kind of backfire a little bit and only back them further into a corner, especially if the session itself is done in a very lecture fashion rather than a dialogue fashion where they feel safe to talk," Hills told CBC Radio's Ottawa Morning on Monday.

"When someone is talking to you about a very sensitive, personal topic, and their approach is hostile, human nature [compels us to] sort of close down, back off and not want to engage. If the person, however, is warm and engaging, you feel safe. You might feel comfortable vocalizing your concerns and listening to what they have to say.

"It's sort of all in the approach."

Hills made headlines in 2015 after she wrote a parenting blog post called "Learning the Hard Way: My Journey from #AntiVaxx to Science." Her seven children contracted whooping cough not long after she had changed her mind.

Last week, the Ontario Liberal government introduced legislation to strengthen vaccine rules. If passed, parents would be required to attend an educational session to get permission to exempt their children from vaccines for non-medical reasons.

The legislation would also require health-care providers to report to the public health unit what vaccines are given to children in an attempt to reduce school suspensions over out-of-date immunization records.

'Dark shadow' cast over vaccinations

Hills says the educational sessions should be handled with care.

"It's simply to approach it with as respectful a tone as possible, because unfortunately a lot of comment feeds and social media have cast a really dark shadow over this topic by vicious commentary and very rude personal remarks. And that's really tainted a lot of people's opinions of engaging with a pro-vaccine person," she said.

Three years ago, Hills said she would have entered the session "very guarded" with her arms crossed. But one year ago, she would have been more open to considering and scrutinizing both sides.

"It depends where they're starting from," she said.

It's also important for the province to engage with people where they are — on social media, watching television and sitting in movie theatres — with targeted ads.

And seven kids? Really?

Why do people like this have the most kids?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E</a>

I like Rex Murphy on this... if you are taking advice from Jenny McCarthy, you have the intelligence of a dead tree stump.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCAz5CL6Cc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCAz5CL6Cc</a>
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Anti-vaxxers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:11:32 am »
Great post, Souriquois. Here in Murrica, aka Opposite Land, some states require women to attend anti-science classes before they can proceed with an abortion. I have this utterly wild and impossible fantasy about going well beyond Ontario to the ultimate, logical conclusion for antivax parents. Offer them these choices:

1) Educate + Inoculate
 or
2) Spay + Neuter

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:22:44 pm »
Great post, Souriquois. Here in Murrica, aka Opposite Land, some states require women to attend anti-science classes before they can proceed with an abortion. I have this utterly wild and impossible fantasy about going well beyond Ontario to the ultimate, logical conclusion for antivax parents. Offer them these choices:

1) Educate + Inoculate
 or
2) Spay + Neuter

I'd like it if anti-vaxxing was like opting out of the health care system that my tax dollars pay for. You don't vaccinate, you're on your own, bud!

I think they did that in Australia.
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:03:24 pm »
If you're looking for an honest answer, I believe a large part of it is the diseases we vaccinate for are no longer in our collective memory. A quick Google images search of kids in an iron lung, things of that nature. I don't think I know anyone who knew anyone with polio. Or whooping cough. Or typhoid, Spanish flu, yellow fever, measles, take your pick. So we as a people forget the horrors of loving through those goggle pics. We as people tend to forget it goes a bit beyond the sniffles and a fever. That we're talking about diseases that'll kill you as effectively as a bullet from a gun. Only much more painfully.

Just to throw it out there, it's not just the nut jobs who have large families. Some are just regular people who just really don't like lame sex.

ETA: then there's Google U. Your can spend a few minutes on anti vaxxer sites and scare the shit out of yourself. Much like Fox News, a steady diet of shady quasi correlation presented by some celebrity without a clear understanding of what it is the research actually says and how to correctly interpret it can lead to, well to be brutally honest, lead to children and adults dying of easily preventable diseases.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:00:50 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:59:25 pm »
What irks me is the fact that a lot of anti vaxxers are educated, and liberal minded like these dumbasses in Brunswick, Melbourne who strong armed the principle into having a policy of "tolerance" for anti vaxxers caused a chicken pox outbreak.

I note that its a lot of the Green-voting, professional people who moved from the leafy Eastern suburbs to that old formerly working class inner city Northern suburb of my home town who grok this sort of organic veggies good/yukky scientific medicine big pharma bad bullshit. Gentrification literally bringing a pox on their ultra-renovated old tin-roofed red brick terraces. The mind boggles.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:08:54 pm »
What irks me is the fact that a lot of anti vaxxers are educated, and liberal minded like these dumbasses in Brunswick, Melbourne who strong armed the principle into having a policy of "tolerance" for anti vaxxers caused a chicken pox outbreak.

I note that its a lot of the Green-voting, professional people who moved from the leafy Eastern suburbs to that old formerly working class inner city Northern suburb of my home town who grok this sort of organic veggies good/yukky scientific medicine big pharma bad bullshit. Gentrification literally bringing a pox on their ultra-renovated old tin-roofed red brick terraces. The mind boggles.

Just goes to show that educated doesn't necessarily equal intelligent.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:10:22 pm »
Just goes to show that educated doesn't necessarily equal intelligent.
That's true but even intelligent people can have their blind spots of idiocy.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:44:05 am »
Resurrecting this thread because guess who have been up to no-good again... http://deadstate.org/anti-vaxxers-duped-minnesotas-somali-community-and-gave-them-the-largest-measles-outbreak-in-decades/

Anti-Vaxxers have been regularly giving lectures to immigrants about the "dangers of vaccines" and as a result they caused the biggest measles outbreak in decades...

Fucking heartless bastards.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 09:56:16 am »
May the bastards die of cholera.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 10:17:09 am »
And it's the kids who suffer. That's the worst part. If they were the kinds of morons who demand the right to drive a motorcycle without a helmet or something then at least they themselves would be the ones at risk, but anti-vaxxers hurt their kids the most.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

pyro

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 12:56:30 pm »
Not when they get their children to ride on the back of their motorcycles, also helmetless.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:35 pm »
I wish we could quarantine these fuckers on an island by themselves.

It would be the most hilarious version of social darwinism imaginable.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 12:29:04 am »
On that I agree with you, I agree most heartily.

I've heard some of their number deny germ theory.

My bet is they'd last three days tops.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer