Author Topic: High risk to reoffend and he might be out in five years?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
High risk to reoffend and he might be out in five years?
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:26:16 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/01/13/ns-stabbing-sentence-glace-bay.html

A Cape Breton teenager found guilty of second-degree murder for stabbing his girlfriend more than 100 times has been sentenced as an adult to life in prison.

Melvin Skeete Jr., who was 16 years old at the time of the incident, was sentenced Monday in Nova Scotia Youth Court to life in prison with no chance of parole until Dec. 3, 2017.

That will mark seven years since Skeete Jr. killed Brittany Green, a 17-year-old woman from Glace Bay, on Dec. 3, 2010. She had 104 wounds, from several different knives, one of which was broken off in her body.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: High risk to reoffend and he might be out in five years?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:24:29 pm »
O gawd....tell me that poss. release date is a typo, please? And 100 + stabs is way beyond a "crime of passion" anger management problem. The guy needs to go away forever, for real.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:57 pm »
Well, it's only eligibility, there's nothing saying he will be paroled. But that is the law--if you're convicted of second-degree murder and were 16 or 17 when you committed the crime, you are eligible for parole after seven years from the date of imprisonment.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:00:55 pm »
Eh.  This isn't necessarily a problem.  It's only a problem if the parole board are idiots.  I don't have a problem with reviewing sentences for cases like this.  Sure, he's probably a terrible candidate to release, but other people who fit the criteria might not be beyond rehabilitation.  This isn't, "He's gonna get out in 2017!"  This is "We'll decide if he's going to get out in 2017."
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:25:29 pm »
What I don't get is when they release someone and then go on all the news stations to warn that the person in question is at a high risk of re-offending. Like a woman who was just released from jail with a long, long list of violence on her record, and who's psychologists say she isn't much better. THEN WHY RELEASE HER IF ITS LIKELY SHE'LL HARM SOMEONE AGAIN?! Or child molesters. Sometimes when it comes to THEM, they don't even TELL the public... until some poor kid learns the hard way.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »
Because they have to free up more cells for non-violent offenders like people caught smoking pot.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:54:46 pm »
Because they have to free up more cells for non-violent offenders like people caught smoking pot.

Pot is a dangerous drug. One puff and you're addicted for life. Further, many people under the influence of marijuana have killed entire bags of potato chips. Prison is the only option.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:04:42 am »
Not to mention all the sandwiches they've massacred. My girlfriend could've gone back in the kitchen and made me those.

Now that a Pot User killed all the sandwiches, she's a feminist communist muslim marxist atheist Hindu Sikh Nazi.

I blame Pot for all of this.[/kidding][/lolconservativelogic]

But seriously, this is ridiculous. This guy's clearly got mental issues well beyond what we can see. Releasing him from jail will only result in a Michael Myers running around.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:14:21 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/01/13/ns-stabbing-sentence-glace-bay.html

A Cape Breton teenager found guilty of second-degree murder for stabbing his girlfriend more than 100 times has been sentenced as an adult to life in prison.

Melvin Skeete Jr., who was 16 years old at the time of the incident, was sentenced Monday in Nova Scotia Youth Court to life in prison with no chance of parole until Dec. 3, 2017.

That will mark seven years since Skeete Jr. killed Brittany Green, a 17-year-old woman from Glace Bay, on Dec. 3, 2010. She had 104 wounds, from several different knives, one of which was broken off in her body.

Once again sometimes I really do not like the parole option. I know it's necessary but ugh.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!