Author Topic: Dating and Age  (Read 9294 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Dating and Age
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:35 pm »
I've been wondering what other people think about this, partially out of curiosity and partially because my friend is looking to date a woman who's ten years older than him. For me, I wouldn't want my partner to be more than five years older than me. I think that's because of me worrying about differences between generations, but also not wanting to be widowed so darn early. (I can't date someone five years younger -- I'm 21 and that'd be weird.) With other people, I tend to view it on a case-by-case basis, though I think more than ~20 years difference has the potential to cause to a lot of relationship issues. What do you guys think?

Note: The "Love knows no bounds" option does not include folks who are underage. By choosing that option, you're not endorsing a 50-year-old dating a 12-year-old.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:57:10 pm by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Dating and Age
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:49:16 pm »
Personally I wouldn't want that huge of a difference (5 years most), BUT I have known some happy couples that were like 10-15 years apart.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 12:50:36 pm »
I'd personally pick the "love knows no bounds" option if there was a stipulation that it excluded underage people.  You can potentially have a successful relationship with anyone you're willing to commit enough time and effort to, but it's important to keep in mind that people at different stages in life will most likely have different, sometimes even conflicting goals and values. 

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:55:54 pm »
I'd personally pick the "love knows no bounds" option if there was a stipulation that it excluded underage people.  You can potentially have a successful relationship with anyone you're willing to commit enough time and effort to, but it's important to keep in mind that people at different stages in life will most likely have different, sometimes even conflicting goals and values. 

Good point. I'll make a note of that.

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 01:03:16 pm »
I went with the "love knows no bounds" option, because as long they're both consenting adults, I could care less. Through personally, it does seem a bit awkward when there's a big age difference. You have no idea how many people I've developed a crush on who are around 18, but I feel like a "cougar" for having the said crush.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 01:10:14 pm »
I think it also depends on the age of the people when they meet.  For example, 10 years may seem like a big difference when you're in your teens or twenties, but not so much if you meet when your both in like your 40s/50s/60s.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:51:51 pm »
I think it also depends on the age of the people when they meet.  For example, 10 years may seem like a big difference when you're in your teens or twenties, but not so much if you meet when your both in like your 40s/50s/60s.
This. If you're 18, don't go 4yrs younger. One or two maybe, but not four.

My personal rule is nobody that wasn't in high school at the same time I was, so about 4yrs or so.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:54:28 pm »
As long as everyone involved is a consenting adult I don't care how big the age difference is.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 03:07:48 pm »
I agree with the, "As long as they consenting adults" part, though personally, I think I'd feel to awkard if there difference for me was more than 10 years either way. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 03:16:57 pm »
I don't see why it should be anyone's business provided that all involved can consent and do so.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 03:26:23 pm »
Obligatory "Half your age plus seven."

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 03:30:46 pm »
For those of you stating "as long as they are consenting adults," would you apply that to yourself, as well? That you'd be willing to date any legal age, that is.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 03:47:18 pm »
Obligatory "Half your age plus seven."
Oddly enough, if you actually stop and run the numbers at various 'benchmark' points in your life it works out pretty well for putting you in an age range where you would likely have enough commonality to make a relationship work. I'm a proponent for any consenting adults to go and enjoy themselves, but realistically too large an age difference often means different priorities, different social circles, and different ideas of fun which can put a strain on a relationship.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 04:24:47 pm »
Half + 7, always.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 05:10:42 pm »
Me personally? 1-3 years, not much more than that. In general? I might find it a little weird if a 50 year old is with a 20 year old or something, but it's really none of my business.