Author Topic: Indian woman jumps from train to escape rape  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Indian woman jumps from train to escape rape
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:57:32 am »
A young woman is in hospital in critical condition after throwing herself off a moving train in an attempt to escape molestation. It’s the latest in a number of incidents that have exposed the vulnerability of women in India.

­The 25-year-old woman jumped from the carriage of a moving train after allegedly being molested by a soldier. The attack occurred on Thursday while the train was en route from Darjeeling to Delhi. The man groped her after she had visited the lavatory. After pushing him back, the woman jumped from the Brahmaputra Mail line train. The mother of two is being treated in hospital in the city of Patna.

“Her condition continues to be critical. A team of doctors is treating her. She has suffered injuries to her head and legs,” a police official told the IANS news agency.

A member of the Assam Rifles paramilitary force has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

It comes just weeks after a 23-year-old medical student was gang-raped on a bus in Dehli, while her male companion was severely beaten. She later died from her injuries in hospital.

The male companion has revealed more details of the tragic event. He recounted that in the immediate aftermath of the rape, no one responded to their cries for help.

Police and passersby left the mortally injured female student lying naked and bleeding for almost an hour.

https://rt.com/news/indian-jumps-train-escape-molester-376/

Both of these stories are equally horrible. However, the good news is that people are speaking out against this.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Indian woman jumps from train to escape rape
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:27 am »
In every video or photo I've ever seen of them the trains in India are insanley over crowded - how do people get molested/raped on trains there? Does everybody just sit/stand there and let it happen? And I'd have thought so many eyes watching you would put most people off from commiting such crimes. Apparently not. WTF?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:36:10 am by Katsuro »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:08:31 am »
they have this issue in japan
basically there are people who accidentally touch others inappropriately due to just extreme crowding.  The other thing is since there are so many people you just get lost and unable to be seen when you grope someone

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:19:25 am »
Informal 'what would people do if...?' types of studies on the matter have shown that people do, indeed, often just sit by and turn away when a crime is happening in front of them because they're too scared or sometimes just too apathetic (but usually scared) to say or do something. Sometimes there's this attitude of, 'It's not my business' or, 'What could I possibly do to help?' I don't honestly have any idea what I'd do if I saw something like this--I like to think I'd help, but I just don't know. I'm certainly not an intimidating person, so aside from calling for help I have no idea what I COULD do, apart from make one victim into two by doing something rash and very stupid.

As for being on a crowded train--rapes happen everywhere, and to be honest a crowded train isn't as crazy a place to do it as you'd think. People all mashed up together like sardines with no breathing room... if an attacker gets a victim in the right place, they have little hope of getting away and people nearby may even think that they can't possibly be witnessing THAT and must instead just be imagining things.

Or it could be a place like India, which has such an aggressively terrible collective cultural attitude about rape that even high-ranking police officers frequently believe that women bring rape upon themselves for a variety of victim-blaming reasons ('SHE DRESSES LIKE A WHORE!' 'SHE'S HANGING OUT WITH MEN!' 'SHE DOESN'T HAVE A CHAPERONE!') and that only a handful of reported rapes are 'genuine' and that a woman who reports a rape deserves all the hate and criticism and scrutiny she gets. If I were an Indian woman, I'd probably figure I had nothing to lose jumping from a train to escape a rapist.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:25:53 am »
That's fucking crazy.  It's scary to think that you could be getting raped our beaten to death and people would just stand there and do nothing.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 10:11:48 am »
Informal 'what would people do if...?' types of studies on the matter have shown that people do, indeed, often just sit by and turn away when a crime is happening in front of them because they're too scared or sometimes just too apathetic (but usually scared) to say or do something. Sometimes there's this attitude of, 'It's not my business' or, 'What could I possibly do to help?' I don't honestly have any idea what I'd do if I saw something like this--I like to think I'd help, but I just don't know. I'm certainly not an intimidating person, so aside from calling for help I have no idea what I COULD do, apart from make one victim into two by doing something rash and very stupid.

There's also the issue of the bystander effect, which means that people are more likely to not act in a crowd because, being that there's so many people, it's easy to assume that someone will do something.  And since everyone is waiting for someone else to do something, nobody does anything.  I've heard that in this situation, the victim should single a person out from the crowd and demand help from them specifically, since it shifts responsibility from the crowd to a single person.

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:13:09 am »
What's worse is that this isn't the first I've heard of something like this.

I recall a story from years ago where a woman SET HERSELF ON FIRE to escape rape!
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 11:32:26 am »
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/01/opinion/wolfe-end-rape-in-2013/index.html?hpt=ias_r1

Let's understand that rape is not a problem that affects only women: It affects families, communities, entire cultures. It is not an inevitability, but the outcome of a system based in discrimination, just as slavery was.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 11:25:54 pm »

There's also the issue of the bystander effect, which means that people are more likely to not act in a crowd because, being that there's so many people, it's easy to assume that someone will do something.  And since everyone is waiting for someone else to do something, nobody does anything.  I've heard that in this situation, the victim should single a person out from the crowd and demand help from them specifically, since it shifts responsibility from the crowd to a single person.

I would like to think that I'd be the exception to bystander effect in other situations, but I have to be brutally honest to myself here:

I would most likely be one of the people standing back, too scared shitless to do anything.

I hate that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 12:45:24 am »
I have gotten involved when I have seen stuff on the street but I don't know if I would every time, I like to think I would.

Every time I have a bunch of people jump in and help.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 01:01:28 am »
I have gotten involved when I have seen stuff on the street but I don't know if I would every time, I like to think I would.

Yes, the whole bystander effect can have the exact opposite reaction if a person or a couple people jump in to help.  It seems like if someone actually does initiate the help, more people almost always jump in.  The problem though is that that first person often doesn't jump in. :(
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 01:09:53 am »

Because it is much easier to join in when someone else is the first one to go.

And this is what one person can accomplish, you can be the single snowflake that starts an avalanche.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:47:25 am »
I'd probably help if I had soemone with me I could rely on to get my back since I'm not that strong physically. Alternatively, if I had a weapon I might feel more compelled... provided I was fighting off someone. If I just needed to help grab someons' arm or something then that wouldn't matter.

Also, where's that guy who stabbed a bunch of people when they tried to rape people on an Indian train? Well, they stopped it and were robbing it, but he didn't act until they tried to rape a woman.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:19 am »
Also, where's that guy who stabbed a bunch of people when they tried to rape people on an Indian train? Well, they stopped it and were robbing it, but he didn't act until they tried to rape a woman.

This guy

Don't piss off a Gurkha, it will end badly for you and your army.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:43:00 pm »

This guy

Don't piss off a Gurkha, it will end badly for you and your army.

Fucking... epic. That man is what LEGENDS are made out of!