Author Topic: Solar Panel Roads  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Solar Panel Roads
« on: May 12, 2014, 08:40:24 pm »
#Invalid YouTube Link#

I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Solar Panel Roads
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:09 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNMFKKyFU60" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNMFKKyFU60</a>

Fixed.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:58:14 pm »
My roomie, being tech-savvy as he is, looked this over when I found it a month or two back.

His assessment? "Yeah, it's a nice idea, but there's no proof of concept. Throw in weathering, wear and tear and weight of vehicles, and they wouldn't last two years."
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:13:31 pm »
We already have plenty of unused roof area for solar cells before having to resort to roads.

The area is so large that we can sacrifice quite a bit of cell efficiency to make panels cheap/durable and still have enough aggregate energy to power the world.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 09:50:52 pm »
Unless every vehicle on those roads has spotless tyres, the panels will get covered up with dirt and dust within a week.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:41:08 pm »
Unless every vehicle on those roads has spotless tyres, the panels will get covered up with dirt and dust within a week.

Tyres?

Is that how they spell "tires" in non-USA countries, or are you mocking the SJWs?

I have nothing productive to add to this topic.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:03:08 pm »

Tyres?

Is that how they spell "tires" in non-USA countries, or are you mocking the SJWs?

I have nothing productive to add to this topic.

It is a regional thing, yes, for once.  Surprise, Art isn't actually being sarcastic for a change.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:37:23 pm »
Alrighty, thanks Cerim.  Sorry for being an ignorant American, Art XD
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:45:56 am »
A few months ago, I posted an idea about putting generation 3 PV flexible panels on standard shipping containers. They way they are built to interlock on board ship creates an offset so that an encapsulated PV set can be affixed to the steel panels on all sides except the bottoms. No crushing and minimal scraping or dirt would get on them. They don't get walked upon, either. They already have wiring harnesses for various purposes, such as daisy chaining for powering reefer cars and for transport position logging and car content ID manifest purposes.

When in transit, the electricity they generate can offset fuel use on ships and trains and tractor trailer trucks/lorries. When they are stacked dockside and in intermodal freight facitilities, they would be providing more power by using the wiring harnesses to grid tie them. Also, there are millions of acres worth of unshaded railroad right-of-ways and highway right-of-ways that could have solar PV and also small ground level VAWT wind turbines - lots of breeze created by vehicles passing. The cumulative effect of utilizing all this available, unutilized industrial and transportation space would be staggering. Since installing these systems would both save and make some money for the transportation sector, and most of what I mentioned as installation objects and places are privately owned by the shipping companies, I can't see why it wouldn't take off quickly.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 12:58:01 am »
We already have plenty of unused roof area for solar cells before having to resort to roads.

The area is so large that we can sacrifice quite a bit of cell efficiency to make panels cheap/durable and still have enough aggregate energy to power the world.

Agreed. But both of of those ideas only work on summer or on areas where there is no snow.

I for one would not waste resources making solar paneled roads in Finland. Not enough sunlight, particularly since the trees and buildings also give cover.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 06:04:36 am »
#Invalid YouTube Link#

They look pretty.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
#Invalid YouTube Link#

They look pretty.

They remind me of the Crystal Maze.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:47:32 pm »
If this were to prove practicable it would put the entire pothole repair industry out of business.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 12:18:24 am »
If this were to prove practicable it would put the entire pothole repair industry out of business.

You say that like its a bad thing. Fucking potholes.
Who needs a signature?