Author Topic: International Men's Day 2015  (Read 9437 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
International Men's Day 2015
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »
Today marks International Men's Day with the focus this year on men's reproductive issues such as a lack of reproductive choices, family planning, sexual health, and safe sexual practices.

Not too long ago I came across an article that scientists in India had developed a birth control injection for men that is has an overwhelming success rate, low side effects, is effective for 10 years, is completely reversible with another injection and is touted as being cheaper than the syringe used to inject it...back in the 1970s. [cynical asshole]But there's no money to be made on a super cheap one time injection that lasts a decade, so fuck it.[/cynical asshole]

Some of the past issues IMD has tried to raise awareness of has been helping men improve their life expectancy, tackling violence against men and boys, the raising rates of suicide among men, the failing of men and boys in the educational system and how society tolerates violence against men among other things as well as domestic violence against men.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:24:56 pm by Damen »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: International Men's Day 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 04:53:26 pm »
the way you put it, i'm all for raising awareness of these issues. but as you also put it:

[cynical asshole] i smell a shitstorm a-comin' with mra's and misandrists tarpitting the debate into oblivion [/cynical asshole]
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:57:34 pm »
Normally I don't read Huffington Post, but they have a bunch of good articles up about mental health issues for men.

here's one for example

Even Then

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 04:59:30 pm »
But (cis) men already have condoms, right?

Seriously though, men do suffer issues specific to them, these issues are often downplayed and silenced and it's a good thing that there's an awareness day to show that men can be just as vulnerable as anyone else.

[cynical asshole]inb4 MRAs try to try to blame feminism or women for these issues somehow[/cynical asshole]

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:01:58 pm »
the way you put it, i'm all for raising awareness of these issues. but as you also put it:

[cynical asshole] i smell a shitstorm a-comin' with mra's and misandrists tarpitting the debate into oblivion [/cynical asshole]

There's always the chance that shit flinging will happen between those two groups [cynical asshole]and I'm bracing myself for it[/cynical asshole] but I'm hoping that people can check those impulses at the door [cynical asshole]though I'm also aware of what history has shown will be likely to happen[/cynical asshole], however I do feel strongly that these issues among others are ones that seriously need to be talked about more.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 05:42:28 pm »
Ever notice that in society there's a real lack of a conversation on mental health for both men and women?  It's almost as if we really don't like being considered "crazy".

Ironbite-weird that.

Even Then

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 05:45:25 pm »
Seriously. The brain is an organ. It gets sick like any other.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »

I wish people had an easier time grasping that fact.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 06:39:54 pm »
Easily one of the best analogies I've ever heard.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Even Then

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 06:45:15 pm »
I can't claim credit; I just saw it somewhere.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 06:55:39 pm »
Calling it now, it'll devolve into an MRA/Feminazi poo flinging match within seconds.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 07:32:38 pm »
Not too long ago I came across an article that scientists in India had developed a birth control injection for men that is has an overwhelming success rate, low side effects, is effective for 10 years, is completely reversible with another injection and is touted as being cheaper than the syringe used to inject it...back in the 1970s. [cynical asshole]But there's no money to be made on a super cheap one time injection that lasts a decade, so fuck it.[/cynical asshole]

Sounds a bit too conspiratorial to me. The devil's in the details with "overwhelming success rate, low side effects", so they're figuring out the risks with clinical trials -- the phase III trials in India were stopped because of reports of scrotal swelling and albumin in the urine, which may or may not be due to the drug or the way the trial was done.

So yeah, I'm not buying the Big Pharma conspiracy theory here, besides the unfortunate patent laws that would make such a treatment unnecessarily expensive for several years.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 09:46:50 pm »
Calling it now, it'll devolve into an MRA/Feminazi poo flinging match within seconds.
Is there anyone on this forum who could qualify as a "feminazi"?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 09:52:34 pm »
Is there anyone on this forum who could qualify as a "feminazi"?

you know, when i said something to the same tune, i was talking about the blogosphere in general. i'm sure art meant the same thing.

regarding your question, we've chased off most extremist points of view. we've all got our pet peeves and berserk buttons, but nothing of the "feminazi" caliber, i don't think.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 10:32:40 pm »
nothing of the "feminazi" caliber, i don't think.

Considering Rush Limbaugh came up with the term "feminazi", I suspect it covers anyone who isn't a pig-headed chauvanist.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.