Author Topic: Christian Talk Radio  (Read 7030 times)

Offline Yumeji

• Neonate
  • Asserted without proof = dismissed without proof.
Christian Talk Radio
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:57:14 pm »

I have a radio station nearby that is one of only two that seem to come in clearly. It's CSN Radio, and I have been obsessed with it on some days. Usually because I find it hilarious, and not in the way they intend. Other times however, I end up yelling at the radio and turning it off in a huff. On one of their shows, the pastor said "Science can't prove anything absolutely" and go on to say "There is no form of science or method of science that can date anything past 5,000 years". Or when the same individual would say "Atheist are the fools for the bible says so", "Darwin had a deathbed conversion", and they even have a pretty unintentionally funny show called "Sinking the Beagle" (the ship Darwin was on). And they will phrase themselves along those lines while misrepresenting and clumping all fields of science. That doesn't always bother me, I usually find it hilarious and annoying at the same time.

And of course, they will misrepresent things on anything they either don't understand or don't want to accept. Such as one of the shows, which has a female preacher person who will go on and on about how the christian bible is all about supporting women and equal treatment of women. So the above picture sums up my feelings on that show.

Of course I am constantly slapped in the face with irony while they're talking. However, there are times that I get mad, for example...

I am not a Democrat or Republican, or class myself as anything really. But this is the kind of ridiculousness that gets spewed on these type of christian talk radio shows. While these tend to get me pretty angry, it gets me extremely upset when they talk about how to raise children. There was a show on some 8 months ago where the host talked for over 40 minutes about how he doesn't let his daughter talk to boys unless its specifically related to school work and even then he has a rule about keeping it under 3 minutes and is required to tell him so he can monitor the phone. Not hard to "guess" his daughter's future.

I guess you can say I'm extremely militant when it comes to children. So when stories such as that come up, I get extremely pissed off. Stories about their children's love for jesus while they are 4 years old also get me going off the deep end, as my mind just explodes with a "WTF is wrong with you people." One story, a speaker stated that their children would only be allowed to hear about christianity, and that all science led to atheism so it was banned in their home. When the child brought home a science book from school (a public school) they went to the school and complained that they were trying to brainwash their children with science. The stupid, it burns.

Of course I understand why they do it. Indoctrination of their children, is something they see as right while not really seeing it as indoctrination. I doubt any do it under the guise of "I must brain wash them!", and yet I can't help but be angry when they remove the ability of choice from their children. Being a Psychology and Sociology fan for the last 18 years, I can see the damage they have done.

Anyway, does anyone else here listen to christian talk radio? Are there any quotes or stories that have really irked you the wrong way? Please share so I don't feel like I'm the only one!

Edited for some spelling mistakes and for some additions since posting
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:36:58 pm by Yumeji »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Christian Talk Radio
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 05:35:46 pm »
There is so much unavoidable stupidity out there, why tune in to it deliberately?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Yumeji

• Neonate
  • Asserted without proof = dismissed without proof.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:44:25 pm »
There is so much unavoidable stupidity out there, why tune in to it deliberately?

I sometimes enjoy it. I tend to listen to this channel for common tactics or points they use due to it being a go to source for the people around here who constantly want me to renounce my evil ways

Unfortunately, I have a tendency to sit in silence with my mouth gaping open when a lot of these points are thrown at me. Which they take to mean they made some good point when I'm really just trying to comprehend the stupid.

Normally I would just distance myself from them, but this area is extremely religious and the second they found out I'm not "one of them" they spend all manner of time trying to convert me after work. These people happen to be my co-workers and family, mostly.

Trust me, I can't wait till I move in the next month or two.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:50:28 pm by Yumeji »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:34:06 pm »
Okay Christian Radio, science can't prove anything for sure? But your favorite novel can? Sure, whatever you say. Go sit in the corner. You shouldn't listen to this shit bro, you'll go mad.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:34:45 am »
I too listen to christian talk radio from time to time. Both for the laughs and to keep an eye on what the "other side" is thinking. Nobody should have a steady diet of it though.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:51:36 am »
I think the words too late are good here.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »
Most of the local stations switch over to preaching and religious bullshit on Sunday mornings, so if I'm working that's usually the only thing I can get on my radio. I'll listen to them and argue and sometimes I even want to pull over and phone them during their call-in segments. But I can only tolerate so much of their crap because it makes me so angry, for many of the same reasons it upsets you. Indoctrination, oppression, hypocrisy, and cruelty all defended by 'the good book' which is nothing but a neolothic slasher novel.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 03:08:47 pm »
I did for a while several years ago.  Then I became so edified by either their saccharine effervescence about how "Christ is the answer for everything" or whining about their pet causes that I stopped altogether.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Jerry Cosmo Kramer

• Neonate
  • "Knowlege is Good"- Emil Faber 1904
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 04:46:46 pm »
Your poster misspells 'insanity'.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 05:01:00 pm »
Your poster misspells 'insanity'.
Also "instilling" but why quibble with Internet posters? :P

Offline Jerry Cosmo Kramer

• Neonate
  • "Knowlege is Good"- Emil Faber 1904
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »
Yeah . . . why?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 06:52:22 pm »
When I had longer drives home from work, I'd hit Scan on the radio, listen for a few seconds while focusing on the road, then hit it again.  Occassionally I'd hear some stupid **** on some of the stations.  I remember once hearing some guy mention a Bible quote (I don't remember exactly which line) about God telling his people to leave another group alone.  Mr. Brainiac Bible-wiz then proceeded to explain how this meant the world was falling apart because women were working and gays were intruding into our rights.

Another time some woman got on a show and started bashing . . . I don't even remember whom she was bashing, but it made no sense.  A caller then took her argument apart piece-by-piece.  Instead of counter-arguing or whatever, she just laughed as if he spouted nonsense (In reality, He should've been the one laughing).

Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 11:34:08 pm »
Yeah . . . why?
...that was rhetorical but thanks for playing.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 12:40:55 am »
I sometimes tune into the local Christian rock station. But I change it when the devotions start.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 05:33:14 am »
I don't necessarily listen to Christian radio, but I do listen to conservative radio sometimes for the lulz. My dad can't stand it. He'll fidgit in his seat for about 20 seconds then turn it.