Author Topic: Catholic nuns caught in mere financial malfeasance  (Read 2002 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Catholic nuns caught in mere financial malfeasance
« on: December 10, 2018, 07:59:34 pm »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-southern-california-nuns-accused-years-long-theft-school-n942276
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-california-nuns-accused-embezzling-half-million-school-trips-gambling-n946056

In a more standard sort of crime, two nuns have been caught embezzling funds from a Catholic school in Redondo Beach, California, soon after retiring. Per the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, one had served as principal of the school for twenty-nine years, while the other had been a teacher for twenty, including serving as a vice-principal.

The Church does not want the nuns to face criminal prosecution but the matter has been referred to the Los Angeles County DA's office.

Some of the stolen funds were used to finance personal trips and gambling.

The principal would endorse those checks she intended to steal with a stamp reading "St. James Convent" instead of "St. James School".

We know, from the introduction to the Grand Jury report in Pennsylvania, that some of the documents in the secret archives involved financial crimes, which were outside of that body's purview. Can we investigate those now?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Catholic nuns caught in mere financial malfeasance
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:04:50 pm »
Does that count as stealing from the Church?  If so, I fail to see the crime, here.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:11:25 pm »
Does that count as stealing from the Church?  If so, I fail to see the crime, here.

More like stealing from the people who paid tuition or donated to the school. Apparently, quite a few parents are pissed off that diocesan officials aren't looking to press charges.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:14:17 am »
Hm...I guess that is worse.  Then again, they're actually investing in a religiously-charged "education," so they've already proven themselves complete morons.  Though, I suppose its bad to defraud idiots, as opposed to the actively malevolent.  Well shit, I'm torn.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 12:44:58 am »
Hm...I guess that is worse.  Then again, they're actually investing in a religiously-charged "education," so they've already proven themselves complete morons.  Though, I suppose its bad to defraud idiots, as opposed to the actively malevolent.  Well shit, I'm torn.

For me it's an issue of breach of trust: these parents, whatever I might think about the wisdom of their sending their children to a Catholic school, nonetheless did so, and paid tuition (and possibly made donations) with the understanding and trust that the money spent would be used to better their children's education. Instead, part of that money was used to fund things completely unrelated to that, something the people giving the money would (presumably) never have donated towards.

No wonder they're incensed that the diocese is not seeking to press charges.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 05:52:47 am »
So THAT must be why going to private school is so expensive.