Community > Society and History

Far-Right Terrorist Attacks in New Zealand

(1/7) > >>

Chaos Undivided:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/mar/15/christchurch-shooting-injuries-reported-as-police-respond-to-critical-incident-live

I can't be the only one getting flashbacks to what happened in Norway back in 2011. Holy fuck, this is horrifying.

Askold:
Both times the terrorist left behind a "manifesto" and tried to do things in a way that would maximize the attention he gets.

This time though the killer is a living parody of internet racists. He even took the time to plug in an advertisement for Pew Die Pie...

Oh and a politician in Australia took this as an opportunity to blame the incident on the Muslims and right wingers are spreading conspiracy theories that this was a false flag attack or a complete hoax because of course they are...

Id82:
I absolutely love how there's been a large increase in Far right terrorism in the past few years and nobody is condemning it. Islamic terrorism they'll shit all over. Mexicans coming over the boarder for better economic freedom is ooooh scary.
But if a white guy is the perpetrator it's not terrorism. He was just a lone gun man with a mental issue and not part of a larger systemic problem. Or worse, the right wing media labels the whole thing as a false flag operation.

I mean look at these:
2/14/2019: FBI arrests Lt Christopher Hasson identifies as white nationalist admires Anders Brevik and had a hit list of Democrats.
11/3/2018: Scott Paul Beierle kills two and injures more at a yoga studio was a misogynist admirer of Elliot Rodger.
10/27/2018: Robert Gregory Bowers kills eleven people after storming the Tree of life synagogue shouting all Jews must die!
10/26/2018: Cesar Altieri Sayoc Jr is arrested in his pro trump plastered van after sending 13 mail bombs to prominent democratic figureheads.
10/25/2018: Gregory Bush kills two black people outside of a Kroger in Louisville Kentucky after failing to break into a black church to plan a massacre earlier in the day. He didn't shoot the arresting police officer because he claimed that Whites don't kill whites.
07/14/2018: Ronald Lee Kidwall is arrested after killing MeShon Cooper a 43 year old black woman in Kansas. Kidwall is a known member of the KKK and has pictures of himself draped in the confederate flag.
05/05/2018: Dustin Allen Hughes is arrested after making threatening calls to a local mosque claiming he's going to blow it up and kill the congregation.
02/14/2018: Nikolas Jacob Cruz shoots up the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High school killing seventeen and injuring more. Was known to make far right racist, antisemitic and homophobic comments and even Incels label him a hero.

These were all within the past year, but no politician or major news networks are talking about Right Wing terrorism.
What can be done about this? There's clearly an uptick in a sense of disenfranchised white men, but what is causing this? Mass migration by Muslim people? Obama? The internet? 4th wave feminism? All of the above?

dpareja:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-new-zealand-white-identity-1.5059127

Suspect: Trump is "a symbol of renewed white identity". (But doesn't like him as a policymaker or leader.)

Trump: I have no idea what he said and what he did was horrible.

Chaos Undivided:

--- Quote from: Id82 on March 15, 2019, 01:31:07 pm ---I absolutely love how there's been a large increase in Far right terrorism in the past few years and nobody is condemning it. Islamic terrorism they'll shit all over. Mexicans coming over the boarder for better economic freedom is ooooh scary.
But if a white guy is the perpetrator it's not terrorism. He was just a lone gun man with a mental issue and not part of a larger systemic problem. Or worse, the right wing media labels the whole thing as a false flag operation.

I mean look at these:
2/14/2019: FBI arrests Lt Christopher Hasson identifies as white nationalist admires Anders Brevik and had a hit list of Democrats.
11/3/2018: Scott Paul Beierle kills two and injures more at a yoga studio was a misogynist admirer of Elliot Rodger.
10/27/2018: Robert Gregory Bowers kills eleven people after storming the Tree of life synagogue shouting all Jews must die!
10/26/2018: Cesar Altieri Sayoc Jr is arrested in his pro trump plastered van after sending 13 mail bombs to prominent democratic figureheads.
10/25/2018: Gregory Bush kills two black people outside of a Kroger in Louisville Kentucky after failing to break into a black church to plan a massacre earlier in the day. He didn't shoot the arresting police officer because he claimed that Whites don't kill whites.
07/14/2018: Ronald Lee Kidwall is arrested after killing MeShon Cooper a 43 year old black woman in Kansas. Kidwall is a known member of the KKK and has pictures of himself draped in the confederate flag.
05/05/2018: Dustin Allen Hughes is arrested after making threatening calls to a local mosque claiming he's going to blow it up and kill the congregation.
02/14/2018: Nikolas Jacob Cruz shoots up the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High school killing seventeen and injuring more. Was known to make far right racist, antisemitic and homophobic comments and even Incels label him a hero.

These were all within the past year, but no politician or major news networks are talking about Right Wing terrorism.
What can be done about this? There's clearly an uptick in a sense of disenfranchised white men, but what is causing this? Mass migration by Muslim people? Obama? The internet? 4th wave feminism? All of the above?

--- End quote ---

I dunno, I saw Hasson, Bowers and Cruz all described as terrorists. And I have seen plenty of talk about right wing terrorism. But maybe that's just our differing perspectives.

Personally, I think this increase in white supremacist violence is because of an increase in the number of people who hold white supremacist attitudes, which is in turn at least partly because of anti-white racism becoming more mainstream. It's the same basic principle as Islamophobia turning Muslims to jihadist ideology.

--- Quote from: dpareja on March 15, 2019, 09:11:08 pm ---https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-new-zealand-white-identity-1.5059127

Suspect: Trump is "a symbol of renewed white identity". (But doesn't like him as a policymaker or leader.)

Trump: I have no idea what he said and what he did was horrible.

--- End quote ---

Trump needs to take the potential threat of white supremacist terrorism more seriously. Even if he's right about it being a handful of people that have "very serious problems", you don't need much to kill dozens of people. Just one person and enough ammo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version