Author Topic: Congress on Track to Make Boycotting Israel Illegal  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Congress on Track to Make Boycotting Israel Illegal
« on: September 08, 2017, 12:39:39 am »
Members of Congress are currently considering a bill that threatens to silence the growing support for the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement for Palestinian freedom and human rights, known as B.D.S. This draconian bill, the Israel Anti-Boycott Act, threatens individuals and businesses who actively participate in boycott campaigns in support of Palestinian rights conducted by international governmental organizations with up to 20 years in prison and a $1,000,000 fine.

Source: https://nyti.ms/2xS0heB

Long story short, Congress wants to make expressing your free speech in support of Palestianian rights illegal, with up to 20 years of jail time as punishment. No matter what your opinions on Israel are, this should shock and scare you. This is literally Congress dictating that holding a certain political view is against the law, and will be punished with jail time. This is utterly atrocious.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Congress on Track to Make Boycotting Israel Illegal
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 12:53:25 am »
Any sign the Dems give a shit or they staying quiet on this one?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 01:41:49 am »
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this passed with overwhelming bipartisan support.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 01:46:10 am »
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this passed with overwhelming bipartisan support.

And then within a month is taken to court because a clearer violation of the First Amendment I do not see.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 01:56:33 am »

And then within a month is taken to court because a clearer violation of the First Amendment I do not see.

Remember when Trump said that he would be neutral on Israel-Palestine (i.e. actually said something reasonable)? He immediately switched to being 1100000% in favour of Israel as soon as the establishment gave him flack. In the DC-New York bubble, you ARE NOT ALLOWED to be against Israel. Period.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 07:31:44 am »
I'm getting Alien and Sedition Act vibes, here...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:56:09 am »
Far as I know this hasn't gotten any traction as the saner members of the Republican party know what a shit storm it would bring.

Ironbite-what with that whole First Amendment thing they hate so much.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:54:17 am »
Far as I know this hasn't gotten any traction as the saner members of the Republican party know what a shit storm it would bring.

I honestly hope that is the case. But I don't really have any faith in the federal government on many issues, and this is definitely one of them. Better that this bill be dragged into the limelight so that people can properly see what some of their Congresspeople are trying to pass.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 11:39:46 am »

I honestly hope that is the case. But I don't really have any faith in the federal government on many issues, and this is definitely one of them. Better that this bill be dragged into the limelight so that people can properly see what some of their Congresspeople are trying to pass.

Good idea. Let's try and kill this atrocity before it can get any further.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:44 pm »
I'm a Zionist and I think this is bullshit. Just because I don't support the BDS movement doesn't mean they should be banned.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:59:23 pm »
It's not like these BDS guys are ISIS or some shit.
They're perfectly within the realm of legality.

Why should it be illegal to have an opinion on a specific foreign police issue?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 09:55:33 pm »
It's not like these BDS guys are ISIS or some shit.
They're perfectly within the realm of legality.

Why should it be illegal to have an opinion on a specific foreign police issue?

BECAUSE WE MUST SUPPORT ISRAEL 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% YOU EVIL ANTISEMITIC NAZI!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 07:10:15 pm »
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harvey/2017/10/19/get-harvey-relief-funds-residents-dickinson-must-vow-boycott-israel

If you live in Dickinson, Texas and want a grant from the Hurricane Harvey relief fund, you have to verify that you have not boycotted Israel and will not boycott Israel.

That sounds... massively unconstitutional... for the government to demand that.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »
I don't  even understand why anyone in Dickerson, Texas would boycott Israel.  Like was that really a big thing that was plauging the area or something?  Nonetheless, that's so unconstitutional that it hurts.

Ironbite-ACLU will have a field day.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 04:10:11 am »
I don't  even understand why anyone in Dickerson, Texas would boycott Israel.  Like was that really a big thing that was plauging the area or something?  Nonetheless, that's so unconstitutional that it hurts.

Ironbite-ACLU will have a field day.

They just gotta be sure they don't have any heretics among them.