Author Topic: Popular (But False) Pieces of Advice  (Read 9191 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Popular (But False) Pieces of Advice
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 05:49:45 pm »
"Ignoring a bully always works" and "Fighting back against a bully makes you a bully." NOPE. Fighting back shows that you are not afraid.
Standard practice when I was in elementary-middle school was for the bullies to verbally harass a victim until he physically fought back. Then they would hit him even harder and run off to tell the nearest authority figure what happened. Said authority figure would then let the bullies off the hook because the victim threw the first punch and was therefore at fault.
Unfortunately, that's the American school system for you. They don't look into it as they should. If I were in charge, each case of bullying would be analyzed with the same thoroughness of a murder case.

Considering enough of it could possibly lead to there being a murder case, or several, that's probably not a bad approach.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35:06 pm »
Not eating right before you go swimming.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:58:16 pm »
"Money can't by happiness."
           -Rich white people who don't know how the real world operates 

Last I heard, there's pretty clear evidence money makes you happier up to a point, and then ambiguous evidence on whether more money helps after that.

I think at the very least, the point where it stops making you happier is the point where you have enough money for financial security. Someone who's living paycheck to paycheck will almost always be happier when they can stop worrying about whether they'll have enough to eat or make their rent payment.

Financial security is probably the one thing I want the most. I can focus more on other things when I don't need to worry about starving or becoming homeless. Which is why I jumped into a professional life as fast as possible: I've spent the time my peers are in college making money and building a business. I'm currently well on the path to owning my own independent production company within just a few years.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:29 pm »
"Ignoring a bully always works" and "Fighting back against a bully makes you a bully." NOPE. Fighting back shows that you are not afraid.
Standard practice when I was in elementary-middle school was for the bullies to verbally harass a victim until he physically fought back. Then they would hit him even harder and run off to tell the nearest authority figure what happened. Said authority figure would then let the bullies off the hook because the victim threw the first punch and was therefore at fault.
Unfortunately, that's the American school system for you. They don't look into it as they should. If I were in charge, each case of bullying would be analyzed with the same thoroughness of a murder case.

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 11:04:12 pm »

Last I heard, there's pretty clear evidence money makes you happier up to a point, and then ambiguous evidence on whether more money helps after that.

I think at the very least, the point where it stops making you happier is the point where you have enough money for financial security. Someone who's living paycheck to paycheck will almost always be happier when they can stop worrying about whether they'll have enough to eat or make their rent payment.

Yeah, pretty much. I think the ambiguity in results comes from there being at least two groups of people:

1)Those who, once past financial security, go from stressing about not having enough money to stressing about getting even more money, at which point really no amount of money will satisfy you.

2) Those who actually have a practical use for their money beyond their own needs (donating to worthy causes, building some major project, helping family in need, whatever) and thus more money has an actual effect in their lives beyond being a number.

Of course, maybe I'm being too optimistic, the second group doesn't exist, and there's just people who really like diving in pools of $100 bills, hunting species to extinction, and burning ancient manuscripts in the face of historians.
Σא

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 11:17:25 pm »

Financial security is probably the one thing I want the most. I can focus more on other things when I don't need to worry about starving or becoming homeless. Which is why I jumped into a professional life as fast as possible: I've spent the time my peers are in college making money and building a business. I'm currently well on the path to owning my own independent production company within just a few years.
That's what I meant, the saying is meant to say that you shouldn't worry about money despite the fact that money is basically the way anything runs in the world.
Like what, should I stop caring about my retirement, loans, medical costs, ect.?

Yeah, next white guy who says that money isn't really important and you shouldn't worry about it is getting shipped off to a small African nation.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:48 am »
"2) Those who actually have a practical use for their money beyond their own needs (donating to worthy causes, building some major project, helping family in need, whatever) and thus more money has an actual effect in their lives beyond being a number."

Yo.  Right here.  I'm one of those "if I hit the lottery, I'm setting up me and mine for a good long time, and gifting as much as feasible to local food pantries, fixing the house up to code since it's 125 years old, and donating the fuck to cystic fibrosis and cancer research."
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 12:33:09 am »
"2) Those who actually have a practical use for their money beyond their own needs (donating to worthy causes, building some major project, helping family in need, whatever) and thus more money has an actual effect in their lives beyond being a number."

Yo.  Right here.  I'm one of those "if I hit the lottery, I'm setting up me and mine for a good long time, and gifting as much as feasible to local food pantries, fixing the house up to code since it's 125 years old, and donating the fuck to cystic fibrosis and cancer research."
*Quietly hides plans for robot exoskeleton*

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 01:25:37 am »

If I won the lottery, the vast majority of the money would go into the most secure form imaginable while I continued to work for a paycheck.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 05:12:46 pm »
>.>
<.<
I'll just leave this here:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8zdNe_l3M8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8zdNe_l3M8</a>

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 12:03:44 am »
I can't think of any off the bat, so I'll just quote the cracked article.

I agree with all of them are bullshit except for number 3.  I don't like the implications of what the author is saying; basically that we just have to bend over and accept crap from people because they have a position of power.  Sure, we shouldn't act over the top like the movie examples, but

That's what Hollywood will never accept, but its audience has to. Although it's completely awesome to see the corporate bad guy from RoboCop getting shot out of the top window of a skyscraper, in real life that guy wins more often than not. He's the one who controls who has a job in the company. The one who's on a binding contract. The one with the money for the best lawyers. And even in the worst case scenario where he gets fired for being a douche -- which quite frankly isn't going to happen -- he can simply walk into the next company and have a high paying job secured by the end of the day.

BULLSHIT.

The good guys DO win sometimes.  It's not as bleak as this author makes it out to be. 

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 12:43:12 am »
Before even opening that article, I knew it would either be David Wong or John Cheese. The two of them are the ones who most often speak based on their own experiences, which unfortunately makes them very cynical. Cheese, in particular, fully admits to having a horribly abusive childhood and past alcoholism. While this does explain his cynicism and often bitter writing, it doesn't make it correct.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 01:01:15 am »
Yeah it was written by John Cheese (I actually thought it was John Cleese at first).  Sounds like he got dealt a lot of crap (can't blame him for being cynical).  I just resent the notion that we should bend over and take shit (even though I admit to being a pussy myself). 

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 01:37:53 am »
I can't think of any off the bat, so I'll just quote the cracked article.

I agree with all of them are bullshit except for number 3.  I don't like the implications of what the author is saying; basically that we just have to bend over and accept crap from people because they have a position of power.  Sure, we shouldn't act over the top like the movie examples, but

That's what Hollywood will never accept, but its audience has to. Although it's completely awesome to see the corporate bad guy from RoboCop getting shot out of the top window of a skyscraper, in real life that guy wins more often than not. He's the one who controls who has a job in the company. The one who's on a binding contract. The one with the money for the best lawyers. And even in the worst case scenario where he gets fired for being a douche -- which quite frankly isn't going to happen -- he can simply walk into the next company and have a high paying job secured by the end of the day.

BULLSHIT.

The good guys DO win sometimes.  It's not as bleak as this author makes it out to be.
I kinda have to agree with him.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 08:46:01 am »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.