Author Topic: Some unintentional honesty from anti-choicers  (Read 5401 times)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
Some unintentional honesty from anti-choicers
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:37:51 am »
http://ideas.time.com/2012/02/14/shouldnt-pro-lifers-be-anti-death/
http://www.cornwallalliance.org/articles/read/protecting-the-unborn-and-the-pro-life-movement/

The criticism towards American conservatives and their purported opposition against abortion is that if they really argued for the life of the fetus, it shouldn't end with the birth. This seeming disconnect has riled pro-choicers for years, but in a letter from an unexpected source, the anti-choice brigade gives us the reason for their doublethink, and for a very unexpected reason.

Evangelicals have opened up a fascinating new controversy around the complicated issue of fetal rights: If a known neurotoxin — being spewed into the air by coal-fired plants — enters the fetal bloodstream and causes brain damage or premature death, does that threat to the fetus count as something pro-lifers should consider? No, according to lengthy statement released Feb. 8 by the Cornwall Alliance and signed by religious leaders such as Family Research Council President Tony Perkins, Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser, officials with Focus on the Family and other groups that oppose abortion. “The life in pro-life denotes not quality of life but life itself.” The statement goes on to say that the signees do not feel that it is appropriate to fight anything but abortion “under the pro-life banner.”

Oh sure, they're try and reduce the other problems that cause chronic health problems to everyone including fetii... provided its financially sound.
This doesn’t mean we should ignore environmental risks. It does mean they should not be portrayed as pro-life. Genuinely pro-life people will usually desire to reduce other risks as well—guided by cost/benefit analysis. But to call those issues “pro-life” is to obscure the meaning of the term.

So what is pro-life? The letter, co-signed by a long list of anti-abortion leaders, states:
Two fundamental principles distinguish truly pro-life issues (like abortion, euthanasia, and embryonic stem cell research) from environmental issues. First and foremost, truly pro-life issues are issues of actual life and death, while environmental issues tend to be matters of health. Second, truly pro-life issues address actual intent to kill innocent people, whether the unborn, the gravely ill, or the aged, while environmental issues do not.

So what have we learned? If it involves actual intent to end a life, then its unspeakably evil. But if something simply is known to make the quality of life worse and maybe even kill eventually over time, then its not our problem, because the immediate intent is not there. Perhaps it simply underlines the larger theme of the Obama administration; this letter is in response to another evangelical group endorsing the Obama administration's new air pollution standards. And anything Obama is for, they are against, no matter how nonsensical or even deadly.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:44:56 am by armandtanzarian »

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Re: Some unintentional honesty from anti-choicers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:29 am »
What a bunch of assholes!

That’s all I can manage to say at this time.
-A Pen Name

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:12:47 am »
So in other words, if you completely neglect your son, and he dies, pro-lifers shouldn't have a problem with it.  After all, you didn't deliberately end his life, it's just something that happened because you didn't feed him for 6 weeks.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:37:43 am »
Yeah, I do believe that is what they are saying.
-A Pen Name

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »
So...they're operating under "emergency conditions" or something?  Hoping all of humanities other issues will work themselves out?  It would explain the rabid attitude from some of them, I guess?

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:25:51 pm »
Welfare isn't their problem. They have to save all the clumps of cells!

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:43 pm »
The culture of life begins at conception and ends at birth.
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:20:41 am »
From their description if pregnant women decide to go and play some football and the activity being violent causes a miscarriage, its all ok because there was no intent to kill.

People like this really need to see life through the ideas of the suicidal. What good is life if there is no quality there in?

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:45 am »
From their description if pregnant women decide to go and play some football and the activity being violent causes a miscarriage, its all ok because there was no intent to kill.
Yeah, no such things as negligence or reckless endangerment, right?
-A Pen Name

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:50:25 am »
*headesk, headesk, headesk*

How are people seriously this fucking stupid?!
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:01:48 am »
The culture of life begins at conception and ends at birth.

Exalt.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:07 am »
It just gets getting crazier and crazier.  I never thought I'd pray for the rapture to happen soon, but...
All things are no-thing.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:08:12 am »
It just gets getting crazier and crazier.  I never thought I'd pray for the rapture to happen soon, but...

Yeah, if it's true, we get 7 years of not having to hear this bullshit.

I just hope the fundies don't look down and RAEG at the fact that we've built a utopia instead of collapsing into an orgy of destruction.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 10:11:49 am »

I just hope the fundies don't look down and RAEG at the fact that we've built a utopia instead of collapsing into an orgy of destruction.

I'd love to see their faces if that happened. 
All things are no-thing.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 10:18:56 am »

Oh, they will. You can see this just by how bad they want the country to fail just because a Democrat is currently in office.
-A Pen Name