Author Topic: Categorization of Fundies.  (Read 12702 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Re: Categorization of Fundies.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 01:30:16 pm »
Related to the Easy Evangelist, the Sad Evangelist. The one who just looks at you disapprovingly and tries to reverse psych you by saying that you can come to the fold any time and you will be prayed for. No ranting, just quiet disapproval. The "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" approach.

So the mom approach?

Also the Pity Approach. "It's sad you don't feel god's love for you. There is blah blah blah that you don't get to whatever." Not dangerous, but annoying/insulting as hell.

Also pretty manipulative.  They are really good at spinning their "do what I say or burn" message into god showing his love for you.  I remember seeing a youtube video of evengelists doing their thing.  To be more specific, these people were pulling the "have you ever lied?  Have you ever stolen?  ect ect" to make people feel like they deserve to go to hell for their sins, thus giving them the "good news" that Jesus died for their sins and they won't have to.  I responded with "Epic Fail" because I that's exactly how I see that tactic.  Some Christian responded that it wasn't fail, that was love!  I believe I responded that threatening people with hellfire wasn't love.  I didn't get a response.  I don't know what I'd call these fundies.  They were a combo of street preacher and apologist. 

Another one I've ranted about before is what flame warriors would call a therapist.  These are the ones who use a form of adhomein to appeal to your motivations.  If you explain your deconversion, they'll claim that you're just angry at god.  If you say you don't believe, you're just lying because you don't want to be judged.  The thing is, these people don't even have to be part of a religious discussion, nor do they have to be religious to get under your skin. 

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 03:01:48 pm »
I like to call
Related to the Easy Evangelist, the Sad Evangelist. The one who just looks at you disapprovingly and tries to reverse psych you by saying that you can come to the fold any time and you will be prayed for. No ranting, just quiet disapproval. The "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" approach.

So the mom approach?

Also the Pity Approach. "It's sad you don't feel god's love for you. There is blah blah blah that you don't get to whatever." Not dangerous, but annoying/insulting as hell.

Also pretty manipulative.  They are really good at spinning their "do what I say or burn" message into god showing his love for you.  I remember seeing a youtube video of evengelists doing their thing.  To be more specific, these people were pulling the "have you ever lied?  Have you ever stolen?  ect ect" to make people feel like they deserve to go to hell for their sins, thus giving them the "good news" that Jesus died for their sins and they won't have to.  I responded with "Epic Fail" because I that's exactly how I see that tactic.  Some Christian responded that it wasn't fail, that was love!  I believe I responded that threatening people with hellfire wasn't love.  I didn't get a response.  I don't know what I'd call these fundies.  They were a combo of street preacher and apologist. 

Another one I've ranted about before is what flame warriors would call a therapist.  These are the ones who use a form of adhomein to appeal to your motivations.  If you explain your deconversion, they'll claim that you're just angry at god.  If you say you don't believe, you're just lying because you don't want to be judged.  The thing is, these people don't even have to be part of a religious discussion, nor do they have to be religious to get under your skin. 

I like to call the last group the "telepaths" because they claim to know what you are thinking.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 04:06:13 pm »
Faux-telepaths. Since they probably don't even think temselves.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 08:33:59 pm »
Ah yes, telepaths. The ones who believe they know more about you than you do.

I've had one Christian friend insist that I must have chosen to be bisexual or been tricked into believing it somehow, despite my telling him I made no such choice and wasn't prompted by anything. In a conversation over the Internet with another said "telepath", I mentioned I was bi and was greeted with "No you're not. There's no such thing as bi." Said person then recommended I read the Quran in order to understand better.

Another frequently-quoted statement along similar lines is used in response to deconversion stories.

"You were never really a Christian to begin with. If you were, you would know God's presence/have a personal relationship with Jesus/be filled with the Holy Spirit and would not have fallen away."

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 11:35:59 am »
Ah yes, telepaths. The ones who believe they know more about you than you do.

I've had one Christian friend insist that I must have chosen to be bisexual or been tricked into believing it somehow, despite my telling him I made no such choice and wasn't prompted by anything. In a conversation over the Internet with another said "telepath", I mentioned I was bi and was greeted with "No you're not. There's no such thing as bi." Said person then recommended I read the Quran in order to understand better.

Another frequently-quoted statement along similar lines is used in response to deconversion stories.

"You were never really a Christian to begin with. If you were, you would know God's presence/have a personal relationship with Jesus/be filled with the Holy Spirit and would not have fallen away."

Well, duh, you aren't a "Real" Christian unless you believe EXACTLY what that person does.