Author Topic: RCC to ban infertile people from marriage  (Read 18302 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Re: RCC to ban infertile people from marriage
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 10:42:05 am »
You know, I'm really starting to hate the Catholic Church. 

I mean, it was never perfect, but at least they were more open minded than their fundie counterparts.  I had a little respect for them since they seemed to be into doing actual good instead of worrying about politics.  But shit like this is sending them back to prevatican days. 

So you're only supposed to get married if you can have kids?  What about adoption?  Or what if they just love each other and don't want to overpopulate the earth?  Not everyone is meant to have kids and the church should respect that. 

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 11:50:53 am »
Maybe it's just damage control, but according to the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines:

Cruz denies reports that the infertile can't marry

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 11:52:15 am »
What I think this means is that they're going to nullify Catholic marriages, not all marriages.  In which case, why carry that huge block of guilt and fear on your shoulder?  Drop it on their foot and wave as you leave.  Worst case scenario, have what the "good" Catholics call "a silly paper signing" that is recognized by the state?  If that is at all necessary.  You don't need a huge ceremony, either.

The part of infertility being a reason to nullify a marriage, however, is loony, even for Orthodox Catholics.

I noticed, however, that Pope Benny is continuing to sensationalize about gay marriage.  Threat to humanity?
I think that the conditions of our fish stocks are greater.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:55:07 am by Rime »
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 12:09:37 pm »
Benny's backpedal is mentioned in that link I posted above, too.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 12:11:56 pm »
Well, they can't null non-Catholic marriages.  Because to the RCC, those people aren't married, and there's nothing to null.  Though, as Neith posted, it may not have been true.  It's starting to look like this originated on anti-Catholic websites, so it might have been propaganda.

Of course, they do deny marriage to the impotent.  And to gays, but that goes without saying.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 12:15:42 pm »
Wouldn't they also have to void every marriage where the woman is over 50 as well?

I would think that would only apply if she had not borne any children and had no longer was capable of bearing any.  If she's already had at least one child, meh, she's done her part.

The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 12:51:30 pm »
My father is a devout RC... He even went to college to become a priest before he met his FIRST WIFE (HORRORS!!!! DIVORCE!!!!), and he'd fucking punch these buggers in the nose for being retarded! I'm SOOO happy my father's more progressive than those ass-wipe's... He doesn't mind contraceptives, understands that abortion is necessary in some instances, supports equal rights for homosexuals, and is tolerant of MOST other religions (the only one he has a problem with is the Muslim faith, and that's just because he hates the way women are treated over in the middle east).

They shot themselves in the foot this time, I think... I suppose they don't believe that adopting or having IVF would be an acceptable means of reproducing children? What if the woman isn't infertile, but her husband is? Don't these asshole's understand that they could still care for children in this world and have a family?

deadpandoubter

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »
I think this little stunt is refreshing.
Its somewhat less hypocritical than the stance other religions and facets of Christianity have on marriage. They just out and say its for the babies and nothing else. If anything this clears up their stance on homosexual marriage, contraception and abortion in one single statement.

Its still crazy, but refreshing.

Thiiiiis. My first thought was "Ah HA, they're trying to boost their "gay marriage is bad 'cuz no babbies!" argument!"

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 02:57:47 pm »
Even couples who does not plan to have babies can have their marriage revoked, for they have failed their purpose to multiply.

We've multiplied seven billion times already and that isn't enough for you people?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 03:17:05 pm »
So I guess my Catholic grandparents who have been together for more than 50 years will have to be split up then.

(click to show/hide)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »
I can't find any Catholic sources to corroborate this.  It seems to have stemmed from some anti-Catholic sources, possibly out of misunderstanding (or deliberate misinterpretation) of their anti-impotence rule.  I'm sorry, folks, but it looks like it's just a hoax.  The Catholic Church does not deny marriage to infertile couples, and doesn't seem to have any plans to do so.

We'll have to content ourselves with the myriad other ways they're insane.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 03:41:19 pm »
I most certainly hope so.

Though I wouldn't be surprise if they did say it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:48:07 pm by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 03:45:51 pm »
It would be really funny if the Onion made it up...
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 04:23:45 pm »
Wild DESK appeared!

RANDOM GUY used HEAD SMASH!

It's super effective!

Wild DESK fainted!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 04:37:32 pm »
I wish they would do this, but I don't think they are that stupid. Church marriage is one of the cultural traditions where the RCC is strongest. If they start denying it (or worse, revoking it) on grounds of infertility, it will cost them a lot, both in terms of the people who will get married anyway but not through the Church and those that see it as further confirmation that the Church is run by idiots.

This is, at most, the sayings of one guy, and possibly not even that.
Σא