Author Topic: Bioshock Infinite teaches gamers to hate conservitives?  (Read 10929 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Bioshock Infinite teaches gamers to hate conservitives?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 01:19:56 am »
The people in Columbia worship false idols. I don't see why Christian conservatives are getting into a tiff when it's only pointing out extremes and is even showing one of the things the Bible says not to do (though a good portion of the ten commandments are broken, the main theme is false idols). But then again... what doesn't get them in a tiff?

But meh.

If anything, THEY should be viewing the Founders as villains for denying Christianity in Columbia and replacing all religions with worship of historical figures and a self-proclaimed prophet as gods.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 02:17:40 pm »
Ken Levine has mentioned in interviews that he has libertarian leanings, though he's not an objectivist. 
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 03:05:09 pm »
Ken Levine has mentioned in interviews that he has libertarian leanings, though he's not an objectivist.

And even then, the original BioShock shows one of the big points of sane politicking: you can't build a utopia by ignoring human nature. Andrew Ryan wanted to make a utopia of laissez-faire economics and true freedom, which resulted in people paying out the nose for simple food and services and a highly dangerous and addictive gene-modifying substance that effectively grants superpowers while driving the user to insanity becoming freely available with no restrictions; he also couldn't resist his own desires for power and control and became a tyrant. In BioShock 2, Sophia Lamb tried to create a collectivist utopia where everyone works for the good of the group at the expense of their own benefit. A major part of the plot is her attempt to outright change human nature, as she acknowledges that it's effectively impossible to create her utopia without severe brainwashing or creating a hive mind.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 04:50:38 pm »
Conservative blogging site Breitbart was more emphatic. While praising the game's visuals, Breitbart's Noah Dulis wrote that the fictional civilization's bureaucrats are "xenophobic, religious fanatics, they are progressive caricatures of conservatives writ large, stripped of any subtlety; nothing but ugly monsters full of naked aggression and violent bigotry."

Wait, so you're saying that modern conservatives would make better villains? Not saying I disagree, but it doesn't seem like something you'd think.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 05:31:59 pm »
Conservative blogging site Breitbart was more emphatic. While praising the game's visuals, Breitbart's Noah Dulis wrote that the fictional civilization's bureaucrats are "xenophobic, religious fanatics, they are progressive caricatures of conservatives writ large, stripped of any subtlety; nothing but ugly monsters full of naked aggression and violent bigotry."

Wait, so you're saying that modern conservatives would make better villains? Not saying I disagree, but it doesn't seem like something you'd think.

Not very self-aware, these fundies.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 05:50:35 pm »
Well, if it meant being allowed to kill a Vigor'd up Breitbart, Hannity, and Coulter, that would be so much FUN!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 07:00:43 pm »
The people in Columbia worship false idols. I don't see why Christian conservatives are getting into a tiff when it's only pointing out extremes and is even showing one of the things the Bible says not to do (though a good portion of the ten commandments are broken, the main theme is false idols). But then again... what doesn't get them in a tiff?

But meh.

If anything, THEY should be viewing the Founders as villains for denying Christianity in Columbia and replacing all religions with worship of historical figures and a self-proclaimed prophet as gods.

That would require fundies to think for a second.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 11:58:20 pm »

They're not realizing the historical precedent of the Founders and Vox. Finding real life figures and movements of similar aggression and xenophobia isn't hard, especially in 1912.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 01:35:50 am »
Hell, 1912 was right there in the midst of all those things.  It's a perfect time period.  Not quite yet WWI and the modern world in it's infancy.  It was one of those times that this game perfectly shows how rotten it really was.

Ironbite-in a floating city that doubles as a warship.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:55 am »
Conservatives and Christians already demonize themselves pretty well, a videogame isn't going to make it any worse.

Hey, why did we get rid of the ability to give people a "Fuck Yeah" again?  I've got like 10 sitting here for this post.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 11:35:58 am »
Conservatives and Christians already demonize themselves pretty well, a videogame isn't going to make it any worse.

Hey, why did we get rid of the ability to give people a "Fuck Yeah" again?  I've got like 10 sitting here for this post.

Because people also had about 10 "Fuck Nos" sitting there for anyone who they didn't like.