Author Topic: Attack in Nice  (Read 8156 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Attack in Nice
« on: July 14, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nice-truck-bastille-day-1.3679807

Dozens of people were killed in the French Riviera city of Nice late on Thursday when a truck plowed into crowds watching a fireworks display on France's Bastille Day national holiday, the mayor said on Twitter.​

French TV channel BFM TV initially reported at least 30 people were killed as a crowd was celebrating.

The president of the Nice region says at least 60 are dead. Christian Estrosi also said the truck was loaded with arms and grenades.

A spokesman for France's Interior Ministry said the death toll is likely to rise.

"It's going to be a very high toll," Pierre-Henry Brandet told BFM TV.

The driver is apparently dead in a shootout with police, but... holy shit.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Attack in Nice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:10:18 pm »
Christ, these attacks are happening every month now. Its surreal.

Ok, now Cont says something like "well if it isn't the religion of peace at it again."

Not to mention what Hof would say.

At which point (unless there are further developments) I would point out that basically nothing is known about the killer except that he's apparently a homicidal maniac who just killed at least seventy people.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:49:57 pm »
Seeing stuff saying that the attacker was a 31 year old male with french tunisian ties.

Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:06:11 pm »
When will it stop?!
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:08:04 pm »
When we run out of face book filters and hastags
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:47 pm »
Seeing stuff saying that the attacker was a 31 year old male with french tunisian ties.
Based on what I've read about the Muslim extremist recruiting in France I would be prepared to bet that he has a criminal record. That's the typical profile: someone whose life is fucked up and does not feel like he belongs to the society. The French citizens with Northern African heritage have similar issues with the justice system in France as African Americans have in the States which helps to create this kind of cases. Prisons are also a useful recruiting environment for the extremists specially since the gangs in the slums where the poor Northern Africans typically live don't like the recruiters. They want people to escape their misery to drugs instead of religion.

Of course he might have a different background but I'm just playing the odds here...

Edit: I just realized I'm basing my guess on information collected before ISIS and their social media recruiting campaigns. I don't know how it has influenced the situation I described and I might be playing against worse odds than I thought.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:39:18 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 10:59:47 pm »
Based on what I've read about the Muslim extremist recruiting in France I would be prepared to bet that he has a criminal record. That's the typical profile: someone whose life is fucked up and does not feel like he belongs to the society. The French citizens with Northern African heritage have similar issues with the justice system in France as African Americans have in the States which helps to create this kind of cases. Prisons are also a useful recruiting environment for the extremists specially since the gangs in the slums where the poor Northern Africans typically live don't like the recruiters. They want people to escape their misery to drugs instead of religion.
Reactionary movements, including religious terror movements are just that, a reaction to feelings of disempowerment and humiliation. They don't offer concrete solutions, they just keep feeding the rage.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:44 pm »
Seen on another forum:

80 dead 50 injured by a guy driving a truck full of weapons who is either batshit crazy or had direct specific intent.

Clearly France has an issue with too many trucks in the hands of bad guys. They should ban all of their citizens from having trucks, keeping them reserved only to police and military. That will definitely solve the problem.

Isn't that the popular argument when stuff like this happens?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 12:18:00 am »
Being totally honest, I think Orwell ignored a lot of context, there.  People in post-WWI Germany were already struggling, endangered, and dying; Hitler just gave them a way to feel as if those things could actually mean something, when all's said and done.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 12:42:14 am »
We should all learn how to deal with these extremists and form a worldwide enlightenment of worlds.  I believe I good way to start this is too make a rap video about how not to be an evil person.

Treat all people with respect,

what you give is what you get

treat all people with respect I say.

Never hit a woman or abuse a child, it is wrong and illegal too, and your religion doesn't make it okay to do
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 01:22:25 am »
Something something something white supremacy, something something something just a coincidentally muslim lone wolf like the last dozen, something something nothing to do with religion something something

I really hope this doesn't affect the flow of so-called brown people into Europe in any way. Because that's the main thing, apparently.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:30:45 am by TheContrarian »

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 03:59:49 am »
Something something something white supremacy, something something something just a coincidentally muslim lone wolf like the last dozen, something something nothing to do with religion something something

I really hope this doesn't affect the flow of so-called brown people into Europe in any way. Because that's the main thing, apparently.
Something something sub par trolling. Something something someone admonish me because even negative attention trumps loneliness.

Something.

That what you meant Conty?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 07:09:40 am »
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:12:16 am by Dakota Bob »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 07:59:10 am »

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 12:45:45 pm »

Something something sub par trolling. Something something someone admonish me because even negative attention trumps loneliness.

Something.

That what you meant Conty?

Just pre-empting the usual lines you guys have queued up to deflect the blame from the monthly Islamic massacre.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."