Author Topic: Return of the Zeppelin  (Read 5413 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Re: Return of the Zeppelin
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 05:42:52 pm »
A lead zeppelin might not do so bad. Mythbusters managed to make actual, floating balloons out of lead foil.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 06:45:26 pm »
If what this guy says is true, it would seem that these blimps aren't going to be nearly as affordable as they seem in the very near future.

Easy solution: fusion reactors! Turn all that hydrogen into helium, and solve the energy crisis while you're at it.

OK, perhaps 'easy' is the wrong word.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 11:46:13 pm »
Electric motors (possibly with solar panels) might do the trick.

The problem when using those on a plane is that the battery does not get any lighter as it drains, while fuel tanks do. This means that as the plane goes farther it also gets ligther and gets a (slightly) better mileage.

But since you don't need to use the power for lift in a zep/blim/balloon this drawback isn't so bad. In fact, I would see that zeppelins(and things like them) will become more and more affordable in the future.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 12:03:24 am »
Make it like a cruise in the sky, man. Bring back some of those old-time luxuries in the skies. If you gotta travel in one, you may as well have fun with it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 07:18:54 am »
It's a great idea, but i'm not sure if I would want to go on one.

It's a balloony thing and i've always found balloons strangely disturbing.

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 11:49:02 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a blimp phobia. I don't anymore, but they really freaked me out when I was a kid. Especially seeing old black and white footage of zeppelins hovering over cities.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 01:16:12 pm »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a blimp phobia. I don't anymore, but they really freaked me out when I was a kid. Especially seeing old black and white footage of zeppelins hovering over cities.

I've never actually been scared of blimps or balloons when I see them high in the sky, but I think if I was near one on on the ground and saw it rising into the sky it would really freak me out, because I don't like the way normal helium balloons float, yet alone some great big massive balloon type thing.

I definitely agree with you about the old footage of zeppelins, there really is something quite sinister about the way they loom over cities. It always reminds me of alien invasions.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 04:22:47 pm »
I definitely agree with you about the old footage of zeppelins, there really is something quite sinister about the way they loom over cities.

There is something a bit silent-movie era distopian sci-fi about them.  But to me that's just one more reason why they're cool.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 06:02:59 pm »
I definitely agree with you about the old footage of zeppelins, there really is something quite sinister about the way they loom over cities.

There is something a bit silent-movie era distopian sci-fi about them.  But to me that's just one more reason why they're cool.

That's like thinking TVs are sinister devices used by the government to keep an eye on you, and you can never really turn them off :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 06:13:51 pm »

That's like thinking TVs are sinister devices used by the government to keep an eye on you, and you can never really turn them off :P

But TVs aresinister devices used by the government to keep an eye on you.

Wake up sheeple!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 06:32:57 pm »
I've always wondered why every alternate Earth seems to include a massive amount of blimps and/or zeppelins.  Perhaps...we're the alternate Earth!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 07:39:19 pm »
I've always wondered why every alternate Earth seems to include a massive amount of blimps and/or zeppelins.  Perhaps...we're the alternate Earth!

Steampunk.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet