Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462570 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1080 on: September 14, 2012, 07:18:21 am »
A bit late to the party, but I have to say, the whole thing with Guild Wars 2 was a bit hilarious.

Before release, during testing:

"Oh man, this game is fun!"
"Yeah, it's definitely better than <insert MMO here>"
"So much going for it.  I can't wait until it's actually released!"

After release

"HOLY FUCK THIS GAME SUCKS!"
"YEAH, <insert same MMO here> WAS SO MUCH BETTER!"
"BAWWW MORE SHITTY GAMES NO ONE EVER RELEASES ANYTHING GOOD ANYMORE BAWWWW!"

Fickle gamers... you amuse me :3
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Distind

« Reply #1081 on: September 14, 2012, 10:03:12 am »
FTL - Faster Than Light is now out on GOG, and I'm now the proud owner of a copy. I'm now a very happy panda.
For the new owners of this, I've got one question. Can you give orders while paused?

I SUCK at real time strategy, but I know you can pause the game, however half the time when you can pause you can't actually do anything while paused.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1082 on: September 14, 2012, 10:16:04 am »
FTL - Faster Than Light is now out on GOG, and I'm now the proud owner of a copy. I'm now a very happy panda.
For the new owners of this, I've got one question. Can you give orders while paused?
You can. I tell you, without this option, the game would be absolute arse. It's hard as balls as it is, but not in a cheap way (largely thanks to this lovely feature).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:17:40 am by Art Vandelay »

Distind

« Reply #1083 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:00 am »
Wonderful, now, I wonder if it'd looks like I was working while playing it... I should probably wait till I get home.

Distind

« Reply #1084 on: September 14, 2012, 05:04:11 pm »
I could sooo pretend to work while playing this... but it's a fun game thus far.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #1085 on: September 14, 2012, 08:31:39 pm »
I hate my luck.

I bought the Monk class for DDO 2 days ago. Today, it went on sale for 20% off.

Speaking of DDO, am I right in thinking there's only 1 Enhancement for Artificer (Battle Engineer) and none for Druid? I read ddowiki.com for info, but the site does not list anything else, and when I went looking last night, I couldn't find any.

A bit late to the party, but I have to say, the whole thing with Guild Wars 2 was a bit hilarious.

Before release, during testing:

"Oh man, this game is fun!"
"Yeah, it's definitely better than <insert MMO here>"
"So much going for it.  I can't wait until it's actually released!"

After release

"HOLY FUCK THIS GAME SUCKS!"
"YEAH, <insert same MMO here> WAS SO MUCH BETTER!"
"BAWWW MORE SHITTY GAMES NO ONE EVER RELEASES ANYTHING GOOD ANYMORE BAWWWW!"

Fickle gamers... you amuse me :3

I had wondering if that would happen. When SWTOR first came out, the forums were full of "this game sucks! I can't wait for TSW and GW2." In the back of my mind, I kept thinking "dreams are usually better than reality..."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:40:00 pm by erictheblue »
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1086 on: September 14, 2012, 09:58:00 pm »
I hate my luck.

I bought the Monk class for DDO 2 days ago. Today, it went on sale for 20% off.

Speaking of DDO, am I right in thinking there's only 1 Enhancement for Artificer (Battle Engineer) and none for Druid? I read ddowiki.com for info, but the site does not list anything else, and when I went looking last night, I couldn't find any.

Aye, for now, Artificers only get one prestige enhancement line, the Battle Engineer.  As for Druid, they've got two: Season's Herald, and Nature's Warrior.

I had wondering if that would happen. When SWTOR first came out, the forums were full of "this game sucks! I can't wait for TSW and GW2." In the back of my mind, I kept thinking "dreams are usually better than reality..."

I haven't played SWTOR or TSW, but I can say that GW2 at least looks like it took 7 some-odd years to make.

In my eyes, was it worth the wait?  Fuck.  Yes.  It ain't the perfect game, but no game is, but it is really, really fucking good.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:59:31 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1087 on: September 14, 2012, 10:18:36 pm »
Part of the problem is that many in the gaming community have had their rose-colored nostalgia goggles permanently affixed to their eyes.

They think about the good ol' days, about how all the old games were better.  The problem is that they've put the "good ol' days" on such a high pedestal that there is no way any game released now could ever possibly compare.

Games made back then were as shitty and good as the games today are.  People complain about how "games today are so easy" but then hard games are being made (and often these same people will be whining about that)

What also gets me is when people complain about how X is overpowered and Game that X belongs to is too easy.  When you ask them "Well, maybe stop using the overpowered ability", their response can be accurately summed up as

DON'T ASK ME TO PERFORM ANY SELF CONTROL, IT SHOULD BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE DEVELOPER TO MAKE THE GAME NINTENDO HARD FOR US METAGAMERS WHO TAKE ABSOLUTELY EVERY ADVANTAGE OF THE SYSTEM!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #1088 on: September 14, 2012, 10:56:12 pm »
So Obsidian is doing a thing.

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:59:05 pm by VirtualStranger »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1089 on: September 15, 2012, 02:44:47 am »
Waitwaitwait...weren't those all using various D&D rulesets?  ...Are they implying we could have a good D&D-based single-player RPG coming soon?

That was the sound of my penis exploding from the sheer ecstasy that thought caused.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #1090 on: September 15, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »
I haven't played SWTOR or TSW, but I can say that GW2 at least looks like it took 7 some-odd years to make.

I'm sure it is awesome. I haven't played GW2, but did play 1 and really like it. I'm very interested in GW2, but can't justify buying it right now.

So Obsidian is doing a thing.

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

I saw that yesterday and started drooling. I really wonder what they are going to come up with.

Waitwaitwait...weren't those all using various D&D rulesets?  ...Are they implying we could have a good D&D-based single-player RPG coming soon?

That was the sound of my penis exploding from the sheer ecstasy that thought caused.

Put your penis back together. This is a new IP, not another D&D game.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:31:22 pm by erictheblue »
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1091 on: September 15, 2012, 07:50:50 pm »
New IP doesn't mean they won't be using D&D rules.  There's a difference between using a D&D setting, and the D&D ruleset.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #1092 on: September 16, 2012, 01:02:43 am »
New IP doesn't mean they won't be using D&D rules.  There's a difference between using a D&D setting, and the D&D ruleset.

I need to find where I read it, but I'm pretty sure they're not using D&D rules because they've said they're horrendously unbalanced.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1093 on: September 16, 2012, 03:48:41 pm »
Fuck yes, I finally defeated the flagship in FTL - Faster Than Light. I managed to stumble upon the perfect build and strategy for taking him down, completely by accident (though admittedly, it is kind of obvious). That fight was not so much a fight as it was me steadily dismantling his ship piece by piece. Only took a total of eight points of hull damage throughout the entire fight.

After having my ass handed to me every time I got close to him, this was absolutely glorious.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #1094 on: September 16, 2012, 08:40:29 pm »
Finally got my first earned Botkiller weapon, the Flamethrower (I bought a Botkiller wrench off some guy since it is the one I really wanted).