Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462182 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #705 on: July 13, 2012, 05:17:07 am »
I was almost considering Lego Batman 2 (Hey you get to go all over Gotham as the DC heroes beating villains up!) until I read the review:

http://www.gamespot.com/lego-batman-2-dc-super-heroes/reviews/lego-batman-2-dc-super-heroes-review-6383789/

It's one thing to say a game sucks; it's another to specifically point at horrible controls and glitches.  But then, Game Informer magazine gave it an 8.75.

I know people have different opinions, but how do you go from, "glitches and control issues," to "This game is awesome!" between two reviews?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #706 on: July 13, 2012, 08:47:48 am »
*hueg post*

Do the puzzles in these games have sensible solutions, as opposed to the obtuse King's Quest puzzles?

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #707 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:51 am »
After seeing people on a lot of forums talk about DDO, I finally decided to break down and reactivate my account. Being hesitant, I didn't go VIP or buy Turbine points. All I did was download the game and fire it up. Since I had previously subscribed (when it first came out), I am considered a Premium F2P. My old characters are gone, but that was no surprise, given the drastic changes in how the game plays now than how it played then.

I started up a Ranger (eventually planning to pick up some Rogue levels and go Darkwood Sniper) on the Khyber server. I haven't gotten very far (only just ready to go to the Island, as opposed to the town), but it isn't bad so far. If I decide I like it, I may buy enough Turbine points to buy Monk, which would be going full circle. When DDO first came out, I wanted to play a Monk. Turns out, that class was not available at the time.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 12:00:10 pm by erictheblue »
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Distind

« Reply #708 on: July 13, 2012, 11:34:42 am »
I know people have different opinions, but how do you go from, "glitches and control issues," to "This game is awesome!" between two reviews?
Pure luck on glitches, and however a person is wired with the controls.

On the controller it could just be someone sucking, which happens often enough. Sometimes controls just don't click with a person quickly, or sometimes ever and game  reviewers are rarely a patient bunch.

If you think the lego games are cool, it'll probably be good. Some how they always seem to be amusing, but if you don't like the lego gimmic I'd say stay the hell away. Wonky controls are par of the course really, the shit's made of legos.

Distind

« Reply #709 on: July 13, 2012, 11:37:08 am »
Yes I'm double posting, because it amuses me, and I have a different post to respond to.

After seeing people on a lot of forums talk about DDO, I finally decided to break down and reactivate my account.
This is a tad random, but if there are a few other people out there who were interested I'd be willing to kill some time trying this out as a FSTDT group of sorts. Just have to decide a server if I remember correctly.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #710 on: July 13, 2012, 03:45:41 pm »
I'm active on pretty much every server...though, while I would recommend Wayfinder (the new German server) because its fairly, well, desolate, I also don't because that lack of people leads to a really shitty (read: non-existent) player economy, especially in the auction house.  Which means, you're stuck being broke for most of the game, which is a real bitch.

But, should you decide on a server, I should be able to offer up my knowledge, power, and if on the right server, money, to help ya out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:48:32 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #711 on: July 13, 2012, 07:24:36 pm »
Just got Dragon's Dogma, and it probably has the most hilariously out of place, yet awesome title music:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTeHzzefS4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTeHzzefS4</a>

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #712 on: July 14, 2012, 12:03:37 am »
Just got Dragon's Dogma, and it probably has the most hilariously out of place, yet awesome title music:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTeHzzefS4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTeHzzefS4</a>

When the rock track started when I first popped the game disc in, I was like "What the FUCK?"

The game is good, but I lost interest about halfway through and never finished it.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #713 on: July 14, 2012, 02:19:37 am »
Playing Skyrim. I am just about sick of everyone in Whiterun.

"Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh what am I saying, of course you don't"
"I work with my mother, to sell fruits and vegetables. It's fun most days, but hard work."
"I work for Belethor, at the General Goods store."
"Skjor says I have the strength of Ysgrammor, and my brother has his smarts"
"Come to Dragonsreach to discuss the ongoing hoshtilities, like the rest of the great warriors?"

OH MY GOD SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT THE FUCK UP

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #714 on: July 14, 2012, 03:05:34 am »
Playing Skyrim. I am just about sick of everyone in Whiterun.

"Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh what am I saying, of course you don't"
"I work with my mother, to sell fruits and vegetables. It's fun most days, but hard work."
"I work for Belethor, at the General Goods store."
"Skjor says I have the strength of Ysgrammor, and my brother has his smarts"
"Come to Dragonsreach to discuss the ongoing hoshtilities, like the rest of the great warriors?"

OH MY GOD SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT THE FUCK UP

*Quicksaves*

*Pulls out Fireball*

*KILLS EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING*

*Quickloads*

*hueg post*

Do the puzzles in these games have sensible solutions, as opposed to the obtuse King's Quest puzzles?

I want to say "Yes", but then I have the first four games' solutions memorized since I was 11 or so, so it's hard for me to say.

I can't think of a single incident where the games are like "You're hungry.  Eat something."  *later* "There's a yeti.  What do you do?  ... You're supposed to throw the pie, morong.  ... What do you mean you ate the pie? *trollface*"

Oh, it IS possible to screw yourself over, don't get me wrong, but it's fairly obvious when you do.

That being said, some puzzle solutions can be a little obscure, but the fact that many puzzles generally have at least three ways to approach it (Magically, stealthily, or BRUTE FORCE MOTHERFUCKER) makes things a bit easier.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:09:37 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Saturn500

« Reply #715 on: July 14, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »
http://tecnoblog.net/107348/novo-ps3-anatel/

Oh, great, another new PS3 model. Hey, Sony, isn't there a portable system you released recently which hasn't gotten much support?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/activision-blizzard-finding-few-potential-buyers-report-6386910

Delicious, delicious karma.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:46:57 pm by Saturn500 »

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #716 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:07 pm »
I've never really been a video game person, but I played Amnesia with one of my friends today for the first time. We played it in a dark room. I mostly panicked when the character went around corners and opened doors, and screamed a lot.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #717 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:01 am »
I've never really been a video game person, but I played Amnesia with one of my friends today for the first time. We played it in a dark room. I mostly panicked when the character went around corners and opened doors, and screamed a lot.

I have got to know what people find so damn scary about this game, I haven't found much yet.

EDIT: Looked up some more game play and I'm still pretty unenthusiastic about it. Maybe I need to get the atmosphere more appropriate?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:21:36 am by Mechtaur »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #718 on: July 15, 2012, 03:46:52 am »
Watching videos of the game online, it's pretty easy to distance yourself from the game.

Playing the game itself, however, has a tendency to draw you in and immerse you in the environment.

Just as an example of this effect, I could watch a Hexen Let's Play and not be scared at all when the guy gets back attacked or startled by an enemy.

The moment I'm in control of the game, however, I'm paranoid, looking around every corner, checking my back, and just about jumping out of my skin if I get attacked from behind.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #719 on: July 15, 2012, 04:01:26 am »
Yeah, you really need to be playing it to get the full effect. I believe there's a demo on Steam so you can give it a go without forking over any money.