Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463307 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #690 on: July 12, 2012, 03:14:03 am »
I found (and bought) an oddity in DDO today...a +1 True Law Absolute Chaos Longsword.  For those of you not familiar with D&D, that makes the weapon both Lawful and Chaotic in alignment, which should be impossible.  I'll get photographic evidence...but, that thing was only 1,000 platinum in the auction house, which was absurdly cheap for something that unique.

Taco Cart kicked major ass with that thing in the Chronoscope raid, lemme tell ya.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #691 on: July 12, 2012, 03:31:53 am »
Namco Bandai Helping To Develop Next Smash Bros.

In before Digimon/Tales of roster characters.

Greymon versus Charizard, motherfuckers.

And in more boring news. Final Fantasy 7 is being rereleased on the PC
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:39:48 am by syaoranvee »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #692 on: July 12, 2012, 03:40:54 am »
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

Holy shit...

Not sure if this will be good or bad.

There are other sites that already do this tho...

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #693 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:05 am »
Catherine-related stuff below.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #694 on: July 12, 2012, 03:55:16 am »
Namco Bandai Helping To Develop Next Smash Bros.

In before Digimon/Tales of roster characters.

Greymon versus Charizard, motherfuckers.

And in more boring news. Final Fantasy 7 is being rereleased on the PC

...I'm not sure if that would be glorious or horrifying.

Then again I don't know how the two fanbases feel about each other.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #695 on: July 12, 2012, 04:00:10 am »
I found (and bought) an oddity in DDO today...a +1 True Law Absolute Chaos Longsword.  For those of you not familiar with D&D, that makes the weapon both Lawful and Chaotic in alignment, which should be impossible.  I'll get photographic evidence...but, that thing was only 1,000 platinum in the auction house, which was absurdly cheap for something that unique.

Taco Cart kicked major ass with that thing in the Chronoscope raid, lemme tell ya.

WOAH. Dude, that's just... holy shit, man. You should keep that thing just for the novelty value. How is that even possible?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #696 on: July 12, 2012, 05:22:31 am »
I know that there was some handwraps that were unique for being simultaneously Lawful and Chaotic, and you got them from a Lovecraftian questline.

Now they're not so unique.  Huh.  Must be a side effect of the new loot system.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Saturn500

« Reply #697 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:42 am »
Oh, misleading news from Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/kid-icarus-developer-no-more-6386408

Apparently they don't realize that the whole purpose of Project Sora, made up of staff from Sora Ltd. and Nintendo, was to make Kid Icarus: Uprising. They accomplished their goal, so they're moving on.

EDIT: STEAM SUMMER SALE!

Wait, the summer achievements aren't game related, and all you get is a stupid badge? Meh
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:07:31 pm by Saturn500 »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #698 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10:33 pm »
Catherine-related stuff below.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Gotcha. Many thanks.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #699 on: July 12, 2012, 02:42:29 pm »

WOAH. Dude, that's just... holy shit, man. You should keep that thing just for the novelty value. How is that even possible?

Photographic proof:

[ETA]

Also, just learned that Richard Garriott, Lord British...is a fan of Stephen Colbert.  Fuck.  Yes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:46:41 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #700 on: July 12, 2012, 03:33:55 pm »
Hey guys if you play "Sim City Social" do not buy the diamonds for the game.  EA is pulling a bait and switch on it!  Here is the proof - http://forum.playfish.com/showthread.php?t=2863246

Just thought I would let you all know!
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #701 on: July 12, 2012, 07:00:11 pm »
Why the fuck would you ever pay real money for a freaking Facebook game in the first place?

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #702 on: July 12, 2012, 08:27:47 pm »
Why the fuck would you ever pay real money for a freaking Facebook game in the first place?

This times 1000.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
« Reply #703 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »
I never understood that.  Even "good" Facebook games suck, they're just good time killers at best.  I could never get into WoW because I refuse to pay to play video games.

Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #704 on: July 12, 2012, 09:08:24 pm »
Behold what is in my opinion the second best point and click (and also parser) adventure series out there.  (the Monkey Island series perhaps being the first, even if I don't enjoy it as much as this game series)

Excuse me while I go into commercial mode.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/quest_for_glory

Quest for Glory.  If you've ever played King's Quest, it is a similar game - though where King's Quest focuses on fairy tales, Quest for Glory focuses on fantasy, much in the vein of Dungeons and Dragons.

You are a blonde-haired overly tanned wannabe hero who learned everything he knows from a correspondence course.  Now, what type of hero you ask?  Well, that's up to you.  Unlike other Point and Click adventure games, this has heavy RPG elements.  And much like The Elder Scrolls games (which I believe came out after this), you become better at something by doing it.

Now, how much grinding you do is up to you.  Some people like to grind everything to max each game, others are quite content to go for whatever number they feel is best.

You have three classes.  Fighter, Magic User, and Thief.  (And you have a fourth prestige class, but it's essentially a souped up Fighter)

Fighter uses a sword and shield, and is the only class that natively starts the first game with Parry skill, which is a skill that lets you block an attack, which is better on your stamina than dodging.  He loves to fight.

Magic User wields a dagger, and is the only class that starts the first game with the Zap spell and natively starts the first game with the Magic skill.  Due to Zap, he's capable of hitting very hard with his dagger, but Zap only lasts for one hit, so you may have to recast.  Magic User is also unique in that he doesn't start with the Throwing skill, which both Fighter and Thief do - however, his magic suffices.

Thief wields a dagger, and is the only class that natively starts the first game with Lockpicking, (called Pick Locks for some reason) Climb, and Stealth.  Thief is also the only class that can start the first game with every skill, though it's hard to make use of Parry when you only have a dagger.

However, each character you start gains a pool of points to start with.  This can be distributed into existing stats and skills, or it can be distributed into "cross class" skills.  It's more expensive to put points into a skill you are at 0 at, but you only need 5 points in it (the minimum you can put in) to be able to start training the skill.

It's quite possible to create a Fighter that possesses the Magic skill, allowing him to sling spells around.  Or to make a Thief that knows how to Flynn with the best of them using his dagger.  Or make a Magic User that's as adept at sneaking around and lockpicking as he is at casting magic.

There's also more things to do than just save the day.  The Fighter has to be at his physical excellence, able to best even master swordsmen, and thus has much competition to do.  The Magic User seeks out arcane knowledge and power, proving that Ambition is Not Evil, constantly seeking knowledge wherever he goes.  And the Thief loves to break into the houses of the very people he's helping, to steal away any valuables they have "carelessly" left in their own homes, yet somehow manages to balance the darkness of his thievery with the light of being a hero, a trait which is admirable in its own right.

And while this isn't required to fully enjoy the game, Quest for Glory has the benefit of allowing you to continue your adventure with the same character.  You can take a character from the very first game, and follow his journey through all five games.

And of course, there is the prestige class, called the "Paladin".  A powerful Fighter who fights not for the love of battle, but for the ultimate good.  He is able to perform supernatural feats without magic use (though there is a design error that made it so they had to give the Paladin magic use in order to allow him access to his skills, but that's easy to ignore) such as healing his wounds or the wounds of others, making his sword burn blue with the flame of honor, or even being able to create a shield that reduces the damage he takes.  It's unlockable at the end of the second game, and you can start playing as one at the start of the third game, so act with honor if you wish to follow the path of the Paladin!

The game follows many different fantasy themes.  The first game takes place in the thawing Germanic lands of Spielburg, as spring sets in.  The theme is close to classic D&D, as the local Baron inevitably recruits your aid and rewards it heartily.  So, you want to be a hero?  The monsters, thus, tend to be the most generic and familiar of the game series. 

The second game takes you to the desert lands of Shapier in the summer sun, where the Sultan needs you to save the city from an unknown danger.  You will be experiencing middle-eastern legend as you battle and tame the four elements, before undergoing a Trial by Fire. 

The third game takes an unexpected break and takes you to the wild plains of Fricana, to where African superstition and Egyptian mythology combine together as you experience the Wages of War. 

In the fourth game, you are wisked away to the Russian lands of Mordavia, as Fall sets in.  You must stop a Lovecraftian Horrorfrom being awoken, but vampires are out for your blood (and thankfully, they don't sparkle) as well as the undead... and bat-winged spiders to terrify you arachnophobes.  Yet do not fear, for the Roma are there to aid you as well. 

Finally, in the fifth game, you go to a Greek island as a warm winter sets in, compared to the cool spring that you started out in.  The king there has been assassinated, and you have to compete with others in both a race for the crown... and a race to lure the assassin out of his shadowy hiding place.

The GOG version addresses many glitches that previously plagued the games, which makes them even better than they were to me.

...And I'm done :V Commercial over.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet