Author Topic: Techcrunch: The Hooters of Computers  (Read 7500 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Re: Techcrunch: The Hooters of Computers
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 04:56:18 pm »
Illusive, that's pretty much what you should have done. The photos and quotes kinds cluttered up the point of your post, but your last post was a whole lot clearer.

I did agree that highlighting these individuals was the right thing to do.  I'm pleased about the shame level that Techcrunch invited upon themselves for allowing sleazy apps, and I hope this trend continues.  On the other hand, should I rally a boycott of Ubuntu and Arch because of these guys?  I don't think you'll be finding the Titstare app in their respective repos anytime in the near future.

Thank you for leading into my second point. The same behavior is present and tolerated in the communities’ specific to any given distro. This is why I posted the Fedora Upskirt Incident caused by Nicu Buculei. It demonstrates three things:

1) Nicu Buculei is a corrupt gatekeeper, he used his position to post sexual harassment believing it to be acceptable. Given the amount of users who rushed to his defense verses those who opposed him, it was deemed acceptable.

2) Notice that I used a picture of him with his child. This is outside the scope of the stereotype that the trash of the Linux Community are just sexually and socially immature males. He is mature, he is married and thus had prolonged social and sexual contact with women. Despite all of this he still targeted women on a public bus and refused to take down the picture he uploaded thus he is still misogynistic.

3) Other gatekeepers on Fedora Planet either failed to act or were corrupt as it is still syndicated, one even defended him publically! No one forced them to do so, they willing chose to do so. Private messages are not good enough, cover-ups do not solve the problem. Anyone who posts sexual harassment needs to be thrown the fuck out. Such should be publically stated policy as it will dispel the stereotype mentioned above and improve the community.

Now I must put a second question to you. If gatekeepers are unable and/or unwilling to counter misogyny, who can?
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 07:12:59 pm »
Now I must put a second question to you. If gatekeepers are unable and/or unwilling to counter misogyny, who can?

Who cares? If that's your threshold for misogyny, you haven't seen actual oppression of women.

Why is this a big deal for Linux, again?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:10 pm »
Is it just me or does this not sound like a very useful app at all?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 09:39:55 pm »
Who cares? If that's your threshold for misogyny, you haven't seen actual oppression of women.

Who gave you the right to decide what is and isn't "actual oppression of women"?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 10:27:08 pm »

Oh my god, dude, you're starting to sound like some early teenage girl on deviantART who is doing anything to defend her doll base and traced images, resorting to the passive-agressive "lol i dont care".

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 10:52:32 pm »
What can I say? Torvalds and Stallman need all the fanboy defense they can get.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 01:34:57 am »
Could someone please explain this to me in language that is neither failed sarcasm or Linux hate? I get that the apps are misogynistic in nature but the rest of TIM's posts sound like he's been listening to the Reapers for a bit too long.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 04:13:23 am »
... *reads thread*

... ... Nope.  *opens the bar to get at his booze*  I'm not drunk enough to deal with this thread.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 07:37:53 pm »
Thank you for leading into my second point. The same behavior is present and tolerated in the communities’ specific to any given distro.

You're welcome, but you're wrong.  This behavior is also present and tolerated with those who use ANY operating system, gatekeepers or no.  Do you have some dirt with Arch and Ubuntu devs defending the "brogrammers" of Titstare?  Of course you do!

This is why I posted the Fedora Upskirt Incident caused by Nicu Buculei. It demonstrates three things:

1) Nicu Buculei is a corrupt gatekeeper, he used his position to post sexual harassment believing it to be acceptable. Given the amount of users who rushed to his defense verses those who opposed him, it was deemed acceptable.

2) Notice that I used a picture of him with his child. This is outside the scope of the stereotype that the trash of the Linux Community are just sexually and socially immature males. He is mature, he is married and thus had prolonged social and sexual contact with women. Despite all of this he still targeted women on a public bus and refused to take down the picture he uploaded thus he is still misogynistic.

3) Other gatekeepers on Fedora Planet either failed to act or were corrupt as it is still syndicated, one even defended him publically! No one forced them to do so, they willing chose to do so. Private messages are not good enough, cover-ups do not solve the problem. Anyone who posts sexual harassment needs to be thrown the fuck out. Such should be publically stated policy as it will dispel the stereotype mentioned above and improve the community.

Nicu Buculei might be married and have had prolonged sexual contact with women, but he is anything but mature.  You may even find that to be epidemic with the divorce rate the way it is.

I already answered that question, Illusive.  Public outrage.  Do a google search for titstare and tell me what page you find two stories defending the "brogrammers?"  If bullshit like this keeps being made public, what kind of image are people going to see when someone says "I use Linux?"

I'll say it once in English:
"He who wishes to beat a dog can always find a stick."
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 01:07:13 am »
Thank you for leading into my second point. The same behavior is present and tolerated in the communities’ specific to any given distro.

You're welcome, but you're wrong.  This behavior is also present and tolerated with those who use ANY operating system, gatekeepers or no.
You have failed to grasp the purpose of gatekeepers and confounded them with users. A community inherently has a social structure, persons with in the varying strata of a community have different resources and responsibilities (eg who wields the ban hammer). The responsibility of gatekeepers is to keep the trash out and prevent them from gaining resources.

Misogynistic users can be shut out. Without other willing gatekeepers, misogynistic gatekeepers can’t be shut out. As the old saying goes, “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”

I already answered that question, Illusive.  Public outrage.  Do a google search for titstare and tell me what page you find two stories defending the "brogrammers?"
Never underestimate willfully stupidity. I would call it the cockroach of cognitive error but that would be an insult to cockroachs.

If bullshit like this keeps being made public, what kind of image are people going to see when someone says "I use Linux?"
Going to see? Linux users are effectively branded as the modern day analogue of Unix Weenies. This reputation has stuck with the general public for good reason. People in Linux communities realize this, but are either unwilling or unable to take action to counter such because the trash are in charge and hold political sway.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:25:33 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 03:27:07 am »
oh GOODIE, you're getting into semantics arguments!

Ironbite~ Have FUN!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »
You have failed to grasp the purpose of gatekeepers and confounded them with users. A community inherently has a social structure, persons with in the varying strata of a community have different resources and responsibilities (eg who wields the ban hammer). The responsibility of gatekeepers is to keep the trash out and prevent them from gaining resources.

Misogynistic users can be shut out. Without other willing gatekeepers, misogynistic gatekeepers can’t be shut out. As the old saying goes, “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”

Here's where you'll get a concession, but I'll let everyone make of it what they will.  Windows and Apple know they can sell more operating systems if they don't tolerate undesirable behavior from their employees.  Does that mean it's less prevalent in Windows and Mac communities just because you have more self-conscious management?  I do not think so. 

"Kdo chce psa bít, hůl si vždycky najde."

Never underestimate willfully stupidity. I would call it the cockroach of cognitive error but that would be an insult to cockroachs.

Did I not ask you to provide me the page number of a Titstare google search that had two articles defending the "brogrammers?"  I didn't ask for a link, I asked you for a page number.

If bullshit like this keeps being made public, what kind of image are people going to see when someone says "I use Linux?"
Going to see? Linux users are effectively branded as the modern day analogue of Unix Weenies. This reputation has stuck with the general public for good reason. People in Linux communities realize this, but are either unwilling or unable to take action to counter such because the trash are in charge and hold political sway.

As long as we can do the same thing with the Windows and Mac communities, I'm all for it.  And where's the dirt I asked for about the dev teams for Ubuntu and Arch defending the "two Aussie tits?"
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 09:07:48 pm »
Does that mean it's less prevalent in Windows and Mac communities just because you have more self-conscious management?  I do not think so.
How have you determined this? Do show how you have undertaken such a measurement and what the measurement is.

Too hard? I will give you an easier option, post an instance where all publically known female members were forced out of an official community. As I like to call it, the Caroline Ford experience. Find an analogue, I dare you.

Did I not ask you to provide me the page number of a Titstare google search that had two articles defending the "brogrammers?"  I didn't ask for a link, I asked you for a page number.
Page 3

As long as we can do the same thing with the Windows and Mac communities, I'm all for it.
Sorry bro, failing to learn from Unix's history is the inheritance of Linux and no one else.

And where's the dirt I asked for about the dev teams for Ubuntu and Arch defending the "two Aussie tits?"
You literally ignored this whole paragraph and its bullet points:
(click to show/hide)
If too long: The corruption and/or unwillingness of gatekeepers is predictable for a Linux community. Just as there was a corrupt gatekeeper at TechCrunch there is a corrupt gatekeeper at Fedora Planet.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 01:00:22 am »
Most computer users don't know what an "operating system" is. I doubt that any of them besides a vanishingly tiny subset care at all about any UNIX wars, or Linux for that matter. Techcrunch isn't even a blip on their radar.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 05:18:41 am »
Kdo chce psa bít, hůl si vždycky najde. 
I love the quotes at the top of the page.  And while we're at it, can you without speculating identify how many of these tolls use Linux?  Yep, microsoft is definitely free of sexism and immaturity.

Page 3

I was up to page 9 and couldn't find two articles on the same page.  Pretty much nothing but shame otherwise.

As long as we can do the same thing with the Windows and Mac communities, I'm all for it.
Sorry bro, failing to learn from Unix's history is the inheritance of Linux and no one else.

Newp.  Lets shame ALL the guilty.

And where's the dirt I asked for about the dev teams for Ubuntu and Arch defending the "two Aussie tits?"
You literally ignored this whole paragraph and its bullet points:
(click to show/hide)
If too long: The corruption and/or unwillingness of gatekeepers is predictable for a Linux community. Just as there was a corrupt gatekeeper at TechCrunch there is a corrupt gatekeeper at Fedora Planet.

Maybe I ignored it because it isn't what I asked for.  To claim that Fedora = Linux and Fedora = Arch is willful ignorance.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:26:42 am by Rime »
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.