Author Topic: I hate GPG and its variants  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: I hate GPG and its variants
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 07:17:30 am »
[/img]http://www.facilware.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Stallman-red-Facilware.jpg[/img]

(Oh boy, another software infidel...)

Learn the ways of Stallman, The Illusive Man, and you will see that these complaints are really Freedom features (or Freatures as I like to call them):

For example, GPG (Gpg4win, version 2.1.1 (2013-05-28)) is crap

Not surprising. It's the Windows port (or as I like to call it, the concession made to proprietary hell). If you want to exercise the true power of PGP and its brood, may I suggest a more Free operating system, such as gnusense, or Trisquel?

The possibility that GPG was better on Linux existed and I needed to test it for the sake of fairness. Multiple Linux operating systems were installed as VMWare virtual machines. VMWare is used because effort is enacted to try and support Linux broadly, my deepest sympathies for those unfortunate bastards.

Linux is not meant to have broad interoperability. True users value choice and flexibility over convenience; besides, learning an entirely new architecture keeps your beard growing.

But wait it gets worse!
GPG 2.X is unable to generate 4096 bit RSA keys, 3072 is the limit.

Silly Illusive Man. With enough spare time (the exact amount will be left undisclosed) and command-line tinkering ("Terminal vision-questing" is a term I prefer for these intrepid excursions), it just takes a one-liner to generate a 4096-bit keypair. 3072 bits may sound like a limitation, until you realize that the greatest computers of today are still having trouble with 2048-bit keys. Your secret is safe for at least a couple more decades, and if it needs to be secret for longer than that, you should consider the use of unbreakable encryption methods such as a one-time pad.

I tried Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop (64-bit), the fucking comedy option

Ubuntu gives my beard nightmares.

So, with that, you should have the power to boldly sift through manpages and find the answers to life's persistent questions. Don't forget your daily offerings to the Church of Emacs. 'Til then, ciao!

[/img]http://www.muycomputer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/richard-stallman.jpg[/img]
Are you serious or sarcastic?
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.